Wiki Posts
Search

WN 2827 Diverted back to HNL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
WN 2827 Diverted back to HNL

7/7 WN2827 diverted 2 hrs into flight back to HNL due to a hydraulic problem, must have been serious since it was only 2.5 hrs to destination. Flight flew out the next morning. It was booked on points ( ~$450 worth), Southwest is now refusing to reimburse the addition night of hotel and only crediting $300 credit for future flight. How can we get more.
N830MH likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
We only got $100 each last year when our LAX-HNL flight returned to OAK about an hour into the flight due to a "computer problem." We were on the ground ~2 hours in OAK, then continued to HNL, arriving in the wee hours of the morning with almost no taxies, ubers, or limos available. We were 3rd in the cab line and it was a 45 minute wait for the ride to Waikiki.
So, $300 is reasonable, based on our experience.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
No hotel despite a forced overnight in an expensive city due to a rare long diversion back?

The airline had 2+ hours to prepare accomodations, or a replacement flight. Their hawaii operations was supposedly designed that if a plane went mechanical, they would cancel intra island flights and fly an extra aircraft to the mainland.

I can't understand why they would say to pay for your own hotel. Have you contacted them via twitter to ask where you can send your receipts for consideration?

I recall reading that Southwest has paid for a flight full of rooms at Ala Moana hotel, shortly after they began Hawaii service but not much intra island.

Edit: Looks like this happened July 7 per flightaware. They reduced speed from 500knots to 400knots from the turnaround point on. Airline tech geek in me wonders if that was for fuel savings or part of a hydraulic failure protocol.

Last edited by expert7700; Jul 17, 2022 at 11:57 am
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:07 pm

Location: Rochester NY, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by expert7700
Looks like this happened July 7 per flightaware. They reduced speed from 500knots to 400knots from the turnaround point on. Airline tech geek in me wonders if that was for fuel savings or part of a hydraulic failure protocol.
Best guess is a tail wind on departure that turns into a headwind on the return. Flightaware speeds, AFAIK, are ground speed.
Tanic, expert7700 and jjbiv like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
It was a full flight and they didn't have blocks of rooms for everyone. Asked passengers to take care of their own accomoodation and submit for reimbursement. Now they are refusing to reimburse.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Looks like they flew out and at the same altitude and speed as filed in the flight plan. Definitely had to be the headwind. Find it odd their cruising altitude did not change on the 180 degree return, it does with VFR flight.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by joshua362
Looks like they flew out and at the same altitude and speed as filed in the flight plan. Definitely had to be the headwind. Find it odd their cruising altitude did not change on the 180 degree return, it does with VFR flight.
The airplane would have been under control of Oakland Center in the Central East Pacific Route System where the course reversal occurred. They could have accommodated a request from the crew not to change altitude and/or there was not other conflicting traffic at FL360.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by SFOvacations
It was a full flight and they didn't have blocks of rooms for everyone. Asked passengers to take care of their own accomoodation and submit for reimbursement. Now they are refusing to reimburse.
That sounds like a small claims case to me.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:30 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by m907
That sounds like a small claims case to me.
The claim would have been so much larger if the plane had crashed. OP was simply unlucky.

steved5480 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:17 am

When SW cancelled a flight earlier this year, I tried to get them to reimburse my actual expenses but they would not. They did give me vouchers, which I might not be able to use.

The thing that saved me was putting the taxes on my Amex Platinum (flights bought with points). Even though the taxes were not much, because I put the actual out-of-pocket cost on the Amex Platinum, they reimbursed me for hotel, meals and similar. The cancellation had to be due to weather or mechanical issues, which it was (weather, in my case).

Of course, not everyone has an Amex Platinum, but they do offer some nice potential guarantees if things go wrong.
nsx likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:16 pm

It's the rare airline who will reimburse a passenger for incidental expenses caused due to a flight cancelation for weather reasons. However, the OP's flight presumably was affected by a mechanical issue, for which the responsibility rests squarely on the airline's shoulders and Southwest should cover reasonable expenses for the OP in this case.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: none
I suspect that FT readers don’t have all the relevant information needed to form an opinion and make an intelligent reply.

Also, airlines fly at altitudes that ATC assigns, not what FT readers think they should be.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by nsx
The claim would have been so much larger if the plane had crashed. OP was simply unlucky.

They promised to cover hotels and now they won't. If that's true, it's grounds for a case.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Not good at all! They always have a mechanical problem. They unable to fly back to US Mainland. They couldn't do it. They couldn't get back home. They will be very disappointed. Airlines will pay hotel stay and extended the vacation time.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:47 pm
t60

Redacted
lougord99 likes this.

Last edited by t60; Sep 30, 2022 at 3:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.