Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DAL-DFW transit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

DAL-DFW transit

I have an International flight on Qantas on December 26 aroujnd 8:55pm. Looking at booking Southwest from AUS-DAL. What are the transit options between the two? Taxi, Uber/Lyft, and what if any other options? With an 8:55pm departure what would be the latest time you would recommend arriving at DAL. NOt a big fan of DFW so want tos pend as little time as possible, but also not wanting to stress with tight connections.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:09 pm

You can take the route 55 DART bus from Love Field ground transportation to the Orange line station (about 5-10 minutes away) and it's a straight shot to DFW airport by light rail. The whole trip takes about an hour from when you leave to when you arrive.

Driving it is about 30 minutes (plus or minus depending on traffic) plus you may have to wait a few minutes for a car to arrive.

I would want to be at DAL by 5 PM at the latest. Ideally you should leave at least one flight earlier incase something happens so you don't miss your flight to Oz. If you can get a rental car or catch Megabus/Flixbus/Vonlane the ride from Austin to Dallas is only about 4 hours (depending on traffic).
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:10 am

Uber/Lyft or taxi is the best. Takes about 30 min or less depending on traffic from DAL to DFW. And as said above 5pm would be good to arrive at DAL , maybe you can stretch it to 5.30pm. But not beyond that - not worth having that stress. DFW terminal D for sure is a better place to hang out than DAL - more restaurant options, lounges..
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I d rent ow from austin and skip the madness of whatever Christmas travel may bring.. gonna be faster too..
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by azepine00
I d rent ow from austin and skip the madness of whatever Christmas travel may bring.. gonna be faster too..
AUS - DFW on I-35 during Christmas season is going to be madness also!!!
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I’d set a Google flights alert for the afternoon AA nonstops from AUS-DFW and see if the price drops into your comfort zone. In the meantime, book the WN flight on points so you can cancel and refund if the AA fare drops. $109 WN versus $210 AA right now; if that narrows, the avoided $35-$40 cost of the Uber/Lyft plus the lower hassle and risk of arriving at DFW might tip the equation in favor of AA.

Looking at the WN flight schedule, the 6:05 pm arrival at DAL is probably too risky, which means you’d have to opt for the 4:45 p.m. arrival.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Jul 16, 2022 at 5:18 pm
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Monday after Christmas - yeah its going to be a mad house at airports.

i think the travel time between the two wont be an issue, likely not rush hour traffic that day.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
For $100 difference, I would take AA myself and eliminate the crosstown connection.

And, with Qantas as a partner airline -MAYBE they can check your bag all the way through for you? Have you checked to see if they can add the Austin flight to your current ticket?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by diverg
I have an International flight on Qantas on December 26 aroujnd 8:55pm. Looking at booking Southwest from AUS-DAL. What are the transit options between the two? Taxi, Uber/Lyft, and what if any other options? With an 8:55pm departure what would be the latest time you would recommend arriving at DAL. NOt a big fan of DFW so want tos pend as little time as possible, but also not wanting to stress with tight connections.

taxi/ uber/ Lyft would be the best.

i did once a transition from DFW to DAL pre Covid via bus/ light rail and it was a #$&ing PITA
screeton likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Take the bus from DAL (route 55) to the Orange line station, then the train (westbound) to DFW. It's $3. Easy!
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:51 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I took the light rail from DFW a few weeks after it opened (in 2017?)

-There were no signs directing you to get there in DFW
-No DFW employees knew how to get there.
-Once I finally found it, the power was out at the ticket station so I couldn't buy a ticket at the ticket machine.
-One stop later, a transit police guy gets on and targets me (and only me) for not having a ticket.
-I finally get out of it by conveniencing the guy to call his ops center to verify the station had no power.
-I got off the train and was acousted by a group of angry teens who apparently wanted my ticket (which is good for two hours) that I didn't have. They were very mad at me. (It took a bilingual bystander at the station to explain to me what was going on).

Needless to say I ubered back to DFW. I have never had such a terrible mass transit experience even in third world countries.
​​​​
screeton likes this.

Last edited by pgh234; Jul 17, 2022 at 7:48 am
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Worth noting that the Orange line train drops you at terminal A. Qantas operates out of D. If you check in online and have no bags to check, you can clear security at A and ride the Skylink train to D. Otherwise, you need to take the rickety and slow Terminal Link bus to get from A to D to check in there.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
For $100 difference, I would take AA myself and eliminate the crosstown connection.

And, with Qantas as a partner airline -MAYBE they can check your bag all the way through for you? Have you checked to see if they can add the Austin flight to your current ticket?
AA will only check through if it's on the same ticket.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I think I would probably just drive to DFW.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I think I would probably just drive to DFW.
Think you made the best choice. Public transportation in Dallas is a mess and actually that's for all of Texas. TX is just not the place for public transportation unlike say NYC..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.