Wiki Posts
Search

BWI TSA and Anytime fares security line

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards A+, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Honors, IHG Rewards
BWI TSA and Anytime fares security line

I recently travelled through BWI on an 'anytime' fare and the TSA 'gatekeeper' would not allow me in the priority security lane, as there is no indication on the mobile boarding pass that this is now a fare that allows it. Has anyone else had this experience? I was somewhat taken aback and when trying to explain the changes to the agent, she simply pointed to the general line and continually stated 'please proceed to that line'.

Sounds like a training issue, or, perhaps a line needs added to the boarding pass to show this.

It may seem trivial, but, pre-Covid travel restrictions, I had an 8 year run of A list or better. Reverting back to the general public lines sorta smarts a bit. LOL
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Anywhere on the road
I recently travelled through BWI on an 'anytime' fare and the TSA 'gatekeeper' would not allow me in the priority security lane, as there is no indication on the mobile boarding pass that this is now a fare that allows it. Has anyone else had this experience? I was somewhat taken aback and when trying to explain the changes to the agent, she simply pointed to the general line and continually stated 'please proceed to that line'.

Sounds like a training issue, or, perhaps a line needs added to the boarding pass to show this.

It may seem trivial, but, pre-Covid travel restrictions, I had an 8 year run of A list or better. Reverting back to the general public lines sorta smarts a bit. LOL
Traveled 7/1 with a print-from-home BP on an AT fare and I can confirm there is similarly no indication of "Priority" anywhere on it either. I had the same concern, but, security lines were short, so, it didn't make a difference.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:04 am

I haven't been through BWI lately but are the gate keepers actually TSA employees? I know in Atlanta Delta used to station its own employees to guard those lines and they often attempted to misdirect people who weren't flying Delta.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jul 14, 2022 at 11:38 am
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Ahhhh. I bet you are correct. It was the burgundy vest people,. Not TSA. I guess I could have argued my case with less fear of escalation.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
With your level of travel, I would assume you would have precheck and would be in a shorter line anyways?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
It was the burgundy vest people
Yeah, we had those guys at SFO, they liked to see BPs. I'd smile and wave and keep going.
jjbiv and futuramadramallama like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Yeah, we had those guys at SFO, they liked to see BPs. I'd smile and wave and keep going.
They're easily excitable and try to block you, but essentially powerless.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

For whatever reason, I never really sought after it. Plus, often times I will have my wife or one/both of my kids with and my status or BP would sorta drag them through. With TSA pre, notsomuch.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.

Curious why you wouldn't just spend the $80 for 5 years of pre-check or $100 for 5 years of global entry ?
ezefllying likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I did not know AT gave you priority screening, always thought it was BS only. It this newish?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by lougord99
Curious why you wouldn't just spend the $80 for 5 years of pre-check or $100 for 5 years of global entry ?
Totally agree. Wife and I have been precheck for 10+ years (I guess).

And we do not even pay for it - credit card perks.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by joshua362
I did not know AT gave you priority screening, always thought it was BS only. It this newish?
Yes - part of the WGA+ rollout. https://community.southwest.com/t5/B...us/ba-p/142290
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Totally agree. Wife and I have been precheck for 10+ years (I guess).

And we do not even pay for it - credit card perks.
Global Entry (with PreCheck) is the best $20 per year I have spent in my life. I have probably saved well north of 30 hours, and a lot of frustration, for about $300. And I've probably made 10-15 flights I would have missed. It's paid for itself tenfold.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by lougord99
Some of us don't believe that we should have to pay to be treated better or differently than others. PreCheck should be the default for the vast majority of the public, not for those willing to pay for it.
jjbiv, m907 and pudgym29 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Some of us don't believe that we should have to pay to be treated better or differently than others.
... says a long-time poster on a site whose existence serves to ensure we're treated better and differently than others (which usually happens by paying for it)
TheRoadie and joshua362 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.