Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Having Checked Bag Delivered to Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:36 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
How was your show?
LegalTender, wrp96 and benfro6 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:12 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
checking bags for others, what could go wrong…
Since they x-ray and screen everything now, it really shouldn’t matter, but federal bureaucracy is awfully slow to change.

It’s also too bad the city check-in office concept never took off in the US. We just don’t really have the train infrastructure for it.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Since they x-ray and screen everything now, it really shouldn’t matter, but federal bureaucracy is awfully slow to change.

It’s also too bad the city check-in office concept never took off in the US. We just don’t really have the train infrastructure for it.
But the issue is that.... imagine if someone you gave your bag to put something in the bag. It was then found... who gets blamed? it would be your responsibility since it's your bag. not sure anyone would want that liability.
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:16 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Juanefny
But the issue is that.... imagine if someone you gave your bag to put something in the bag. It was then found... who gets blamed? it would be your responsibility since it's your bag. not sure anyone would want that liability.
Screening could take place at the mobile bag drop.

The bag could be sealed shut similar to how truck trailers are sealed shut with a numbered "tie" and that number could be given to the passenger upon bag drop off and then if tampering took place that seal would be broken and tampering could be proven. If the seal was broken in transport then the bag could simply be re-screened again at the main airport.

There is no reason why bag drop off can't exist in some larger US cities that have good public transport to airports. Most US airports, no. But NYC, Chicago, perhaps Dulles... Basically figure out what airports have the highest amount of folks who get to it using the subway/light rail and throw a drop off center at the highest traffic downtown transit station.

Last edited by storewanderer; Jul 2, 2022 at 2:50 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Screening could take place at the mobile bag drop.

The bag could be sealed shut similar to how truck trailers are sealed shut with a numbered "tie" and that number could be given to the passenger upon bag drop off and then if tampering took place that seal would be broken and tampering could be proven. If the seal was broken in transport then the bag could simply be re-screened again at the main airport.

There is no reason why bag drop off can't exist in some larger US cities that have good public transport to airports. Most US airports, no. But NYC, Chicago, perhaps Dulles... Basically figure out what airports have the highest amount of folks who get to it using the subway/light rail and throw a drop off center at the highest traffic downtown transit station.
What would be the benefit? Why trek to some baggage drop-off rather than do it at the airport?
NoStressHere and jjbiv like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by m907
What would be the benefit? Why trek to some baggage drop-off rather than do it at the airport?
There are multiple benefits. It enables tourists or others to drop bags off at their convenience. It enables the airport to receive all of the baggage and immediately put it out for the planes to pick up. It makes is so the public transport units are filled with less luggage.

For instance I used this service in Hong Kong after checking out of a hotel, but still having a good number of hours before my flight. I left the hotel, dropped luggage at the drop spot, and then did more exploring around the area before eventually ending up at the airport later on that evening.

I at first also had the "what's the point" attitude about this idea. Another thing I was told was office workers who are traveling in for a week, and typically have to check out of the hotel on Friday, but still report to the work site, can drop their bags off before reporting to work so they do not have to lug luggage into their work site.

For folks who go to the airport driving their own car- this is probably not a useful service. Maybe it would be if they held bags overnight (for instance- you have a 6 AM flight, you can drop bags at this place at 6 PM the prior evening)... This is a useful service for people who use public transport to get to the airport.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
There are multiple benefits. It enables tourists or others to drop bags off at their convenience. It enables the airport to receive all of the baggage and immediately put it out for the planes to pick up. It makes is so the public transport units are filled with less luggage.

For instance I used this service in Hong Kong after checking out of a hotel, but still having a good number of hours before my flight. I left the hotel, dropped luggage at the drop spot, and then did more exploring around the area before eventually ending up at the airport later on that evening.

I at first also had the "what's the point" attitude about this idea. Another thing I was told was office workers who are traveling in for a week, and typically have to check out of the hotel on Friday, but still report to the work site, can drop their bags off before reporting to work so they do not have to lug luggage into their work site.

For folks who go to the airport driving their own car- this is probably not a useful service. Maybe it would be if they held bags overnight (for instance- you have a 6 AM flight, you can drop bags at this place at 6 PM the prior evening)... This is a useful service for people who use public transport to get to the airport.
Couldn't all this be accomplished by airlines simply accepting baggage at the airport earlier than they currently do? Why create a whole new system?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:53 am

Disney used to offer services discussed in this thread. Guests were mailed luggsge tags which were similar to airline tags. They were bar coded and had name, resort etc printed. Bags were frequently separated at the tarmac. Bags were also taken at baggage claim. Unclaimed luggage offices were checked. Tags were missing when handles were detached by the airline.

Outgoing there were desks in the resorts, RAC. It was TSA approved. They could print BP,s weight the bags and truck them to MCO..Bags were kept in locked cages. Essentially the same as curbside
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:30 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
They are definitely cases where this would be useful. Mostly involving people without late check out, or a rental car, and a field that’s $50+ away.

it probably seems silly to people in civilized countries who have lockers at their train stations. And the average American leisure traveler, not a Flyertalker, travels with way too much stuff.

I typically just store my bag at the hotel after check out, then just add in a multi stop Uber to the airport in which I go run inside and claim it.
jjbiv likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.