Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Direct change. New flight has 35 min layover in BNA

Old Jun 19, 22, 8:03 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott

So direct flights removed from schedule and new flight they booked me on has a 35 min layover (and change planes.)
If I miss that connection, next flight is 5 hours later.
Never connected in BNA, am I asking for trouble? My gut is telling me to find a different route.
Thought?
Old Jun 19, 22, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
BNA is easy to get around in. You can get an idea of gates by looking at the BNA website, and what gates you "normally" would land at and where connecting gate is by check SWA website or Flightaware.com
Old Jun 19, 22, 1:40 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by rthib View Post
So direct flights removed from schedule and new flight they booked me on has a 35 min layover (and change planes.)
If I miss that connection, next flight is 5 hours later.
Never connected in BNA, am I asking for trouble? My gut is telling me to find a different route.
Thought?
no…but

where are your flights coming and going to.

35 minutes is tight if you sit at the back of plane. You likely get to next gate after boarding started

how important is it to get to destination. Did you see other options on routes?
Old Jun 19, 22, 1:55 pm

A "layover" with the same flight number? I tend to think that improves your odds. BNA ops and layout improve them even more.
Old Jun 19, 22, 5:22 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
The very real & likely risk is losing your boarding position (assuming its good to begin with.) You'll probably know before takeoff of your first leg if there is going to be a bigger problem. e.g. you are already late. Otherwise 35 minutes should be fine.

Last edited by joshua362; Jun 20, 22 at 12:33 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 20, 22, 12:25 pm

I had a real bad connecting experience in BNA once. It was a 40-minute connection, and our arriving flight was assigned a different gate than expected, and we had to run clear across the airport to make the connection. We were a family of 4 (with very young toddlers)-- and by the time we made it to the gate they were already boarding B's/C's. We're A-list and original boarding passes were originally low-double-digit A's.

Only middle seats left, and we had to stand awkwardly at the front of the plane while the flight attendant repeatedly announced to ask if anybody would be willing to move so that we could have some seats together. Crickets -- repeatedly. At which point I just declared very loudly "Well, some of you lucky people get to babysit our 2-year old then!" At which point, we promptly got some volunteers

Moral of the story being -- as noted above, don't be so sure you're going to get your boarding position, particularly if there's a boarding gate snafu upon touchdown. In most cases where we've flown through BNA with short connections, the next flight has basically been the next gate over. And so when things are going right, it works out pretty well. But since our one bad experience, it's always a nail biter when we get off the first flight and check the boards for where our connecting flight is.
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Honestly, I will not do connections under 1 hour -- unless there are multiple additional flights to my destination. Find an alternative and call WN to be changed to that flight. Just let them know that you are uncomfortable with the tight connection time. Any reasonable agent will change it for you.
Old Jun 25, 22, 6:47 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
Honestly, I will not do connections under 1 hour -- unless there are multiple additional flights to my destination. Find an alternative and call WN to be changed to that flight. Just let them know that you are uncomfortable with the tight connection time. Any reasonable agent will change it for you.

with southwest flights…I don’t have a problem with 1 hr layovers.

i do with some airports and what type of plane I’m on. I won’t do a 1 hr in ohell on united where one flight is a crop duster. About 15 yrs ago I had a connection in Chicago where my connecting gates were the farthest apart as possible.
Old Jun 27, 22, 11:48 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Found a different route. 1hr layover plus next flights is hour after that. Had to call to change for free but no big deal.
If it was same flight equipment or even same flight number I would chance it, but it wasn't so went on the side of safety.

Search this Thread