Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky high fares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I have also noticed that a large number of flights have not WGA or WGA+ fares, they are listed as unavailable. I hope that something that will resolve itself soon.
I’ve been noticing the same thing and posted about it the other day.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I have also noticed that a large number of flights have no WGA or WGA+ fares, they are listed as unavailable. I hope that something that will resolve itself soon.
Originally Posted by Marko123
I’ve been noticing the same thing and posted about it the other day.
I see the same , any idea what's going on............maybe just a glitch in the new schedule
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by jmw
I just want to make it very clear I will cheat on Southwest any day of the week and any hour of the day. Southwest doesn't have free domestic first class for elites, so we're not as sticky/loyal as the other subforums like Alaska and American. I don't have any loyalty except to my wallet and my family. But if Southwest offers me a one-way from Long Beach to Austin and two free bags for $44, how can I say no? It's not Puerto Vallarta or Hawaii, but it's within my price range.

I do factor bags. Two people on Southwest gets four bags so Southwest often wins in a tie. I have one free AA bag and that's it. If I could not get a decent price on Southwest, I'll fly AA, DL, etc. and try to make use of their last minute first class monetization to buy the increased baggage allowance and effectively get a discount on the upgraded seat. I don't do FCM just for the seat. I don't like gambling on FCM being available at a decent price, so I will often choose Southwest if it's only a lowish amount more expensive than the legacies.

sure at the end of the day it’s

overall cost+ schedule on flights+ importance of being there on time

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I see the same , any idea what's going on............maybe just a glitch in the new schedule
newly released schedule flights ….it’s because those flight have a higher chance of getting cancelled than the ones you see wanna ones. If people willing to buy those flights might be a higher chance of it surviving the cut.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I don’t factor bags because I have elite status on UA and DL and rarely check bags anyway except
for skiing. WN is a bit more competitive if you can fly one person free with CP but i can get 2 people for $99 RT with Alaska using BofA certs.

WN is still the first choice for short haul but I just don’t see torturing myself for 4-5 hours to Mexico or Hawaii esp when the fares are higher!
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I don’t factor bags because I have elite status on UA and DL and rarely check bags anyway except
for skiing. WN is a bit more competitive if you can fly one person free with CP but i can get 2 people for $99 RT with Alaska using BofA certs.

WN is still the first choice for short haul but I just don’t see torturing myself for 4-5 hours to Mexico or Hawaii esp when the fares are higher!
If WN is your main airline and you have points to burn, then price is not as much of an issue.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by djp98374
newly released schedule flights ….it’s because those flight have a higher chance of getting cancelled than the ones you see wanna ones. If people willing to buy those flights might be a higher chance of it surviving the cut.
Well if that's the case I guess every flight has a high chance of getting cancelled as there are ZERO WGA fares

Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:19 pm

That makes absolutely no sense at all.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Well if that's the case I guess every flight has a high chance of getting cancelled as there are ZERO WGA fares

I can’t tell what city pair you are looking at.

there are other issues where sometimes they don’t have paid fares but have points fares and visa versa.

like I said they coukd use booking patterns as who survives. They will have few left but a few could cancel.

also lookat the connection route. Sometime they could block connection routes right now giving preference to other connection routes. There ares scenarios like events going on where they could have high travel from some markets. For examp,e during this time an nfl games is scheduled at your destination market. They might be having these flights open to cities closer to the road teams area allowing them to book first.

there could be coordinated tour groups or conference in a city during your time windowwhere they travel all on the same connection flight so they could have blocks on the connection.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
That makes absolutely no sense at all.
Because it's not true, lol
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:56 pm

there are other issues where sometimes they don’t have paid fares but have points fares and visa versa.

like I said they coukd use booking patterns as who survives. They will have few left but a few could cancel.

also lookat the connection route. Sometime they could block connection routes right now giving preference to other connection routes. There ares scenarios like events going on where they could have high travel from some markets. For examp,e during this time an nfl games is scheduled at your destination market. They might be having these flights open to cities closer to the road teams area allowing them to book first.

there could be coordinated tour groups or conference in a city during your time windowwhere they travel all on the same connection flight so they could have blocks on the connection.

It was a glitch with the new schedule................. WGA fares now available on every flight or maybe they decided to not cancel flights for dates they released last week, lol
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:01 pm

WGA fares available and also Anytime and BS select prices dropped.................MSP/RSW December 10
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
It’s definitely not fixed on all flights….

SJU-anywhere is very lacking in WGA type fares.

Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
It’s definitely not fixed on all flights….

SJU-anywhere is very lacking in WGA type fares.

Saturday after Thanksgiving is one of the more popular travel days of the year. You can see the same thing on other popular travel days around Thanksgiving and the year-end holidays. This is most likely by design and not a bug, so don't expect it to be "fixed". Revenue management systems don't just look at how full a flight currently is when determining what seat inventory to release. Historical demand for certain popular travel days and periods is also a big factor.
steved5480 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 23, 2022 at 8:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.