Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wanna Get away plus Fares are now available! A-Listers get free WGA same day change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wanna Get away plus Fares are now available! A-Listers get free WGA same day change

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by AllThePants

- Then, at the airpot, got a change no problem, and in passing asked the checkin desk agent if confirmed A-List was a new policy. She said "no, but the flight is pretty empty, so it's not a problem". Which is something the front desk agent has always had the latitude to pull off even before WGA+
Confirmed SDC to an earlier flight for A-list at the airport HAS been policy since 2018 or 2019.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
No it hasn’t. You could stand by for no additional fee and if there were a bunch of open seats, they might immediately give you a boarding pass.
nsx and MSP_Monopoly like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by lougord99
No it hasn’t. You could stand by for no additional fee and if there were a bunch of open seats, they might immediately give you a boarding pass.
I’m fairly confident that there was a change that allowed A-listers to confirm (not just standby) if there was an available seat. I remember the first time I used it in SJC… and it was definitely a request by status, not just agent discretion.

Last edited by twitch76; Jun 19, 2022 at 11:21 am
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Well, I am fairly confident that you are wrong. I don't know how to resolve this.
twitch76 and AllThePants like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Well, I am fairly confident that you are wrong. I don't know how to resolve this.
Me neither. Tell you what… I’ll be wrong.

I went digging to try to find evidence of my claim online, and came up short. And yet, I remember being very pleased with some change when it happened, because it reduced the likelihood of being stuck in standby. Clearly, I could just be confused. It happens.
nsx likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
Originally Posted by twitch76
Me neither. Tell you what… I’ll be wrong.

I went digging to try to find evidence of my claim online, and came up short. And yet, I remember being very pleased with some change when it happened, because it reduced the likelihood of being stuck in standby. Clearly, I could just be confused. It happens.
I don't know if this will help resolve, but I've been A-list since before 2018 and it's always been standby for an earlier flight only. However, in the olde days (before flights were always almost completely full), I occasionally was given a confirmed boarding pass (along with a smile, without my asking) when I checked in a bag at the counter and I didn't have to deal with standby at the gate. So maybe the policy was always standby, but in practice sometimes it was a confirmed change.
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by oceanbreeez
I don't know if this will help resolve, but I've been A-list since before 2018 and it's always been standby for an earlier flight only. However, in the olde days (before flights were always almost completely full), I occasionally was given a confirmed boarding pass (along with a smile, without my asking) when I checked in a bag at the counter and I didn't have to deal with standby at the gate. So maybe the policy was always standby, but in practice sometimes it was a confirmed change.
When you are checking a bag it’s much easier for Southwest to confirm you at the baggage check counter. They really don’t want to deal with standby after you have checked a bag on a later flight.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:40 pm

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
Originally Posted by nsx
When you are checking a bag it’s much easier for Southwest to confirm you at the baggage check counter. They really don’t want to deal with standby after you have checked a bag on a later flight.
good to know. Does that imply that it was a better strategy to check a bag and request standby at the counter vs carry-on only and standby at the gate? I think I assumed that when I checked a bag and requested to standby for an earlier flight, they put my bag on the earlier flight (matching the standby security doc that they give to go through security). But I'm a very happy with the new policy for confirmed standby (earlier or later), and it's a big reason I'm determined to stay A-list.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:56 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
YMMV. The one time I took a bag to the counter and asked for the earlier flight I had a CP companion. The counter agent insisted that I had to pay for the upgrade, which I did.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:56 am

Another DP: A-list status. Was booked on a 7 a. m. this morning and wanted to be moved to a later flight that had a $33 fare difference. Agent told me I'd have to pay the difference. I politely explained that the policy had changed and that a fare difference doesn't apply for A-list. After being placed on hold, she was able to complete the change without a fee. It seems that most agents either aren't aware of the feev waiver or don't have the means to push it through without several extra steps/approval. She was exceptionally helpful and kind but a simple flight change shouldn't have taken a half hour.
m907 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:14 pm

Another DP: completed my WGA+ SDC online for my LAS flight at midnight, LAS time.
synergistic likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:40 pm

Equal success with a WGA+ change yesterday - changed it online just after midnight local time. This is incredibly helpful right now, when our CP holder is not our A-Lister. Next year when we're matched back up, I'll start complaining about A-List not being able to do this online - but until then, they've got me happy to pay the upcharge for WGA+ for this well implemented process.
nsx likes this.

Last edited by synergistic; Jul 1, 2022 at 5:37 pm
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:16 pm

My wife had an interesting experience, not sure it was related to this. She had a flight delayed until after midnight.
The flight no longer showed up on th flight status list for either day, unless you used the flight number..She called to reschedule and was told the because she was A-List+ she could reschedule to any flight that day at no cost, so she did. I stuck it out eventually got home and got a $100 Voucher. I'm not sure she came out ahead given trips to and from the airport.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:50 am

I'm now 1/2 for using the new same day change A-List benefit over the phone. Had a great experience last Friday. Agent made the change with no fare difference after a couple of holds.

Today was a completely different story, Agent didn't seem to understand the benefit, asked me whether this was a WGA+ fare (which I had to repeat I'm trying to use the A-List benefit to make same day change with no fare difference), and winded up making the change with a huge fare difference. Now on hold trying to get my old fare back with agent saying same day change has to be made at the airport. I've been on the phone for over an hour now to sort through this whole ordeal.

So the A-List benefit is still a work in progress.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Mind blowing how something this significant isn't communicated immediately to rank and file that need to make it happen - and/or have it programmed systematically, no?

Perhaps the next FT'er who gets it to work can ask the Agent for a source/memo/email to mention to non aware agents?

Reminds me of having tell bag check-in agents to use the F9 screen or Marriott front desk associates to key a 4 first to make Marriott gift cards process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.