Family boarding rules

Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
Sure, but the 7 year old is not eligible for Family Boarding, so they're boarding at their assigned positions.
I get the sense that they're not especially particular on age 6, particularly if boarding with other young kids. My wife once overheard an amusing discussion where a parent (not her) was boarding at family boarding. The only kid with that parent was somewhat loudly insisting that she was 7 to the chagrin of the parent (they were still allowed to board).
m907 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:31 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chessman
I get the sense that they're not especially particular on age 6, particularly if boarding with other young kids. My wife once overheard an amusing discussion where a parent (not her) was boarding at family boarding. The only kid with that parent was somewhat loudly insisting that she was 7 to the chagrin of the parent (they were still allowed to board).
No question, not following the rules is always an option and unlikely to result in a negative consequence in such situations.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:45 am

More than once I've attempted to purchase an upgrade and was told just to do family boarding even after explaining my kids are over 6.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Tanic
Glad to see WN tightening this up. I've seen ops agents let entire families board in the A1-15 group when only one pax had a BP there.
It was even worse back in the Olden Times, before the current boarding procedure, when family boarding was before the A group. I recall seeing families in the pre-board line - usually ahead of the folks in wheelchairs - of six to eight, with only one kid young enough to qualify. And on flights to Orlando it sometimes seemed like there were more preboarders than those in the A-C groups.

Originally Posted by dmbolp
95% of the flights I line up for: "This will be a completely full flight!"

95% of the flights I get on: Not completely full
Is that a recent thing? I've never been a frequent flyer, and thanks to Covid I haven't actually flown since 2019, but prior to that, I have never seen a flight that wasn't full to the brim when that announcement was made.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Is that a recent thing? I've never been a frequent flyer, and thanks to Covid I haven't actually flown since 2019, but prior to that, I have never seen a flight that wasn't full to the brim when that announcement was made.
FAs have been repeating that untruth for as long as I can rememberfrequently on flights that are not even close to being full.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.