Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When can you get a refund vs flight credit?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
When can you get a refund vs flight credit?

My nonstop STL-SRQ was changed by SW to a connection in MDW. This was especially annoying since I paid more for a nonstop flight. The new itinerary gets me home 3hr 10 min later than the orignal booking.

I would prefer to cancel and get a refund, as there is a nonstop from a nearby airport. Yet the SW "rebook" option does not allow for that. My fare was a Wanna Get Away. Nevertheless, i thought a forced change such as in this case would result in a refund option. Can anyone advise?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:21 pm
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
You can request a refund by contacting customer service.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SWAVictor
You can request a refund by contacting customer service.
Is that accomplished over the telephone? I have been reading on this site that it is a very time consuming process.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:46 pm

Your best bet is via Twitter direct message. Be sure to be clear about requesting a refund (vs travel funds).
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Success!

I handled it by phone. After agreeing to a call back, I only waited 44 minutes. Very good customer service. Refunded to my CC.
jjbiv, SWAVictor and bwallet like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
To answer your original question, by DOT regs you are entitled to a refund for flight cancellations or significant schedule changes. Adding a stop certainly qualifies, whether the delay would qualify is a up to the carrier and the DOT. Each airline sets it's own standard and I don't know that they've ever been challenged by the DOT.
As you found out, WN just doesn't allow cancellations with refunds on their website, you have to call in to request one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.