Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another bad experience - A trip report

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Another bad experience - A trip report

On Friday April 1 I was scheduled to fly from Jacksonville FL to New Orleans LA.

This was a flight with a connection in Nashville. There were no non-stop or direct flights. The Flight was 2 hours late leaving Jacksonville and when the plane arrived in Nashville I had missed my connection. The Customer Service people in the airport scheduled me on a flight leaving the next day Saturday at around 1:15 in the afternoon. I was not provided a hotel accommodations I was given 2 LUV vouchers totaling $300. I made hotel arrangements and paid for my dinner and lodging.

The Flight on Saturday was a direct flight going first to Austin then without a plan change to New Orleans. The Flight leaving Nashville was over 4 hours late departing. But that was OK as I would get home the same day. Upon landing in Austin the Flight Crew made the usual announcement that through passengers should remain in the seats for a count and we would be continuing on to New Orleans. As soon as the door to the plane was opened The Flight Attendants announced that all New Orleans passengers would need to deplane and speak to Customer Service. The New Orleans leg of the flight had been canceled. After spending some time waiting to speak to Customer Service I was rescheduled for the next morning with an early morning connecting flight through Dallas with a plane change to another flight going to New Orleans. I received a $200 LUV voucher but received neither accommodations nor assistance. I was able to locate a hotel at my own expense and had dinner.

However even before I could even have dinner I received a message that the flight from Dallas to New Orleans the next morning was canceled. My Rapid Rewards account was not updated and still showed me changing planes in Dallas, however the Flight Status on the website showed the flight as canceled. I tried to call Southwest Customer Service and was unable to get through to the A-List expedited service. The automated system kept insisting my Rapid Rewards Account Number was not recognized, even though that same number and my A-List status was shown on their website and on every boarding pass I had been issued. I was placed in the standard phone queue. I was warned wait time would be 120 minutes. I decided to wait in hopes of getting the matter resolved I held on the phone almost 2 and a half hours, not one ever picked up. I attempted to see what other flights were available from either Austin or Dallas. The website showed no flights available from Austin and only one flight was available from Dallas it was a direct flight in the evening with one stop in Austin.

After only a couple hours sleep Saturday Night (really Sunday morning) I got up early took the Hotel shuttle to the Austin Airport and went to the Southwest ticket counter. Fortunately there was no line at the Fly By Priority Counter. I explained my problem to the Ticket Agent and she called over a Supervisor or Manager, I’m not really sure which, who took over. They had decided that they would try to get me on a nonstop flight from Austin to New Orleans later in the morning, but that they needed to over ride the system to do it. They were eventually able to issue me a boarding pass and I was able to get a non-stop flight home 40 hours late after one missed connection, two canceled flights and two nights in hotels.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:21 pm

At some point you looked up drive time to NOLA was under 8 hours?

The weekend was a cesspool of systems failures, storms & staff shortages. But you knew that.

More people are flying than anyone planned for.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
There is also an AMTRAK option to New Orleans, although the OP may have had to drive somewhere to catch the train.

Something went seriously wrong in Florida last weekend. I also had a difficult time PBI-MCI, although less crazy than what OP describes above (two overnights). Before people say it was the Saturday afternoon weather, I would note that my flights were early Friday -- the problems were already starting then.

The initial meme was that ATC in at least two Florida sectors was understaffed. But later, I only heard the stormy weather as the cause/ blame.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:21 pm

It seems to me that when someone experiences such lousy service by an airline, the fact that they could have driven (presumably at great expense, given one-way car rental charges these days), or taken a bus or train, or hitchhiked, is pretty much irrelevant. Maybe one day the US will implement some equivalent of EU Reg. 261/2004. Until that happens, the US airlines will continue to do this sort of thing - because there are no consequences. The only way I have found to minimize such experiences is to have very high status on a legacy carrier.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by LegalTender
At some point you looked up drive time to NOLA was under 8 hours?

The weekend was a cesspool of systems failures, storms & staff shortages. But you knew that.

More people are flying than anyone planned for.
Yes, lots of problems. The easiest was to just drive. But, the optimist in many of us is that the next option will work out fine. Of course, not that a few days have passed we all know better.
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:24 am
Original Poster

My problem was that I didn't know the connection was missed or the flights cancelled until it was too late.
  • I could have driven 550± miles from Jacksonville to New Orleans in around 8 hours, But I didn't know I would miss my connection. They should have informed me.
  • I could have taken Amtrak from Jacksonville to New Orleans. The train would have left at 11:00 PM Friday evening and Arrived in New Orleans at 9:30 PM Sunday, later than I actually got home.
  • I could have driven 500+ miles from Nashville to New Orleans in around 8 hours, But the flight they booked me on should have gotten me home not much later than driving, but it was 4 hours late and the last leg was cancelled. I was only informed of that after we landed.
  • I could have driven 500+ miles from Austin in around 8 and 1/2 hours. I had no was of knowing they would cancel the final leg of my flight and wasn't informed prior to leaving Nashville.
  • The also booked me on a flight from Austin to Dallas changing planes to go to New Orleans. The New Orleans flight was canceled within a short time of me being booked on it.
Unfortunately each missed connection and cancellation happened at the end of the day. It was too late to take on a long drive.
The first problem was a missed connection due to a late flight, the others were cancellations. I'm convinced they were due to crew time outs and the unavailability of sufficient reserve crews. Getting into New Orleans during the Final Four also meant that every flight on every airline was full. Weirdly on the hotel shuttle returning to the Austin airport Sunday morning one of the other passengers was a Southwest pilot who said he had been at the airport all day the previous day and had been given several flights, but never flew any of them. I also think Southwest should have done more to assist passengers stranded in a strange city. I was unfamiliar with both Nashville and Austin especially the area around the airports, finding a hotel was complicated many were completely booked.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
My problem was that I didn't know the connection was missed or the flights cancelled until it was too late.
  • I could have driven 550± miles from Jacksonville to New Orleans in around 8 hours, But I didn't know I would miss my connection. They should have informed me.
How long was your original connection in Nashville?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:41 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fastflyer
There is also an AMTRAK option to New Orleans, although the OP may have had to drive somewhere to catch the train.

Something went seriously wrong in Florida last weekend. I also had a difficult time PBI-MCI, although less crazy than what OP describes above (two overnights). Before people say it was the Saturday afternoon weather, I would note that my flights were early Friday -- the problems were already starting then.

The initial meme was that ATC in at least two Florida sectors was understaffed. But later, I only heard the stormy weather as the cause/ blame.
Yeah, Florida caused a lot of problems for most of the major airlines last weekend - rough travel weekend for a lot of folks.

FWIW, there's currently no direct Jacksonville - New Orleans Amtrak service right now (The Sunset Limited used to serve it, but there was track damage after Katrina, so it only runs from Los Angeles to New Orleans right now. Though there's talk of repairing the track to go back to Florida from Infrastructure Bill). Right now you'd have to take a train up to DC, then another one back down to New Orleans (though OP notes that even this convoluted routing would've been faster!)
m907 and screeton like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ryw
Right now you'd have to take a train up to DC, then another one back down to New Orleans (though OP notes that even this convoluted routing would've been faster!)
Actually, the OP notes the opposite.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
  • I could have taken Amtrak from Jacksonville to New Orleans. The train would have left at 11:00 PM Friday evening and Arrived in New Orleans at 9:30 PM Sunday, later than I actually got home..

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Actually, the OP notes the opposite.
Uh, no they don't. Would you mind pointing out in the above anything about the train trip going straight from JAX to New Orleans? Actually, the timing is correct for changing trains in DC.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by zdcatc12

Uh, no they don't. Would you mind pointing out in the above anything about the train trip going straight from JAX to New Orleans? Actually, the timing is correct for changing trains in DC.
I'm not disputing that. The OP says this:
The train would have left at 11:00 PM Friday evening and Arrived in New Orleans at 9:30 PM Sunday, later than I actually got home.

The OP still got home earlier with the plane than he/she would have with the train.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
How long was your original connection in Nashville?
55 Minutes.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 9:50 pm

We have about 800K WN points and CP. Our last disaster on WN was in June where we were stranded in Denver for 2 days.

I realize all airlines have issues these days but with the constant schedule changes, delays and/or cancellations every time we fly WN it's just too much.

We switched to DL and all is well so far and our DL flights are all NS vs WN which are almost all connections. A delay is no big deal IMO unless you miss a connection or even worse get stranded overnight.

WN even removed the seasonal Saturday ( March/April ) NS from MSP to RSW and TPA........sad to see what WN has become.

We'll probably be back to WN when we run out of DL miles which should be late 2023.

EDIT , we actually do have one WN flight booked , we used LUV vouchers given to us for 2 Business select HNL/OGG in April..........hopefully WN can get that 35 minute flight right.

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 8, 2022 at 9:38 pm
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
We have about 800K WN points and CP. Our last disaster on WN was in June where we were stranded in Denver for 2 days.

I realize all airlines have issues these days but with the constant schedule changes, delays and/or cancellations every time we fly WN it's just too much.

We switched to DL and all is well so far and our DL flights are all NS vs WN which are all connections. A delay is no big deal IMO unless you miss a connection or even worse get stranded overnight.

WN even removed the seasonal Saturday ( March/April ) NS from MSP to RSW and TPA........sad to see what WN has become.

We'll probably be back to WN when we run out of DL miles which should be late 2023.

EDIT , we actually do have one WN flight booked , we used LUV vouchers given to us for 2 Business select HNL/OGG in April..........hopefully WN can get that 35 minute flight right.
Selecting non-stop flights is probably the single best thing you can do if reliability is important to you. By doing so, you cut your exposure to irrops by half. Perhaps followed by flying on the first flight of the day when possible. Sun Country might be another reliable and cost-effective option for you if you are based in MSP.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by jjbiv
Selecting non-stop flights is probably the single best thing you can do if reliability is important to you. By doing so, you cut your exposure to irrops by half. Perhaps followed by flying on the first flight of the day when possible. Sun Country might be another reliable and cost-effective option for you if you are based in MSP.
We don't have any Sun country miles and they are hard to get via credit cards which is how we acquire all our miles.

We'll be back at WN when our DL miles are gone,, still have 300K or so

We live 90 minutes from MSP and the first WN flight of the day is often @ 5am ish...........that means leaving our house at 2am.........probably not going to happen.

We never had any issues on WN for years so hopefully at some point they get their act together.
jjbiv likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.