Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Red Eye flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234
If WN has 100% of flights currently coming back during the day, and hypothetically now 60% would come back to the mainland during the day, how does that not lead to a decrease in daylight flights? This assumes there will be no notable increase in overall Hawaii capacity in what appears to be a fairly oversaturated market.
If the market were so saturated then they wouldn't have started service at all. To quote the sopranos, you don't have the makings of a varsity airline planner. Redeyes would increase the total demand they could capture since they would open up so many more O&Ds.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
I flew the redeye lax to dfw to cmh on AA, it was brutal being in economy but if it works for wn and there is enough load I have no objections.
i don’t like doing west to central red eyes. Not enough flight time for sleep. I’d more likely do late pm to central/ airport hotel/ am flight to east.

during Covid many airlines have dropped red eye flights. If they can easily shift empty red eyes to day flights they do it.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by audio-nut
If the market were so saturated then they wouldn't have started service at all. To quote the sopranos, you don't have the makings of a varsity airline planner. Redeyes would increase the total demand they could capture since they would open up so many more O&Ds.
​​​​​Capacity to Hawaii has gone up 25% (!) since WN entered the Hawaii market in 2019. Fares have plummeted. Hotels and condos are priced through the roof. WN is making quite a play to gain market share. Do you seriously think their shareholders would approve another significant increase in capacity to this market??? Shareholders would approve an increase in airframe utilization to be accommodated through red-eyes...thereby leading to my point that daytime flights will be harder to get and more expensive if they start red-eyes.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by fiuchris
It is specifically permitted (with pay, rest, and duty day parameters) in the flight attendant contract.
Pilot's union, too?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 9:17 am

I love Southwest and I'm not a fan of red-eye either, but I don't want to take 7am flight out of Hawaii after spending $$$$ for hotel just to get to the midwest. Hope ex-Hawaii is an exception to the no red-eye rule.
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by NextTrip
From what I understand, it is in the flight crew's union contracts to not fly red-eyes.
Its not in the pilots contract.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
One positive for red eyes from major west coast cities LAX,SFO,SEA you can spend a full day and even dinner the same day otherwise you have to leave early afternoon on the flight. Last LAX-MDW flight leaves 330 PM with LA traffic you would have to leave for the airport around noon.
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Getting up at 5 am to come home from Hawaii is rough. I'm willing to do it with the CP but without it I would probably look at a red-eye routing for the trip back home.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by alggag
Getting up at 5 am to come home from Hawaii is rough. I'm willing to do it with the CP but without it I would probably look at a red-eye routing for the trip back home.
Less rough than landing at home at 6am from a red-eye in coach. (I can't sleep on planes)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.