Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Speculative bookings with "some" intent to fly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculative bookings with "some" intent to fly

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Chamor
I guess this may be slightly off topic,, but does someone know where I can find the rules for compensation required (in the US) in the event of IDB? Thanks.
Note DOT caveats here.

An airline "determines its own fair boarding priorities." No recourse if forcibly removed from a flight, even for "having an offensive odor that is not caused by a disability or illness."

Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:05 pm

Thanks, That is interesting. Especially that 4+ hours is the highest category. So, for example, 4 hour delay is treated the same as 44 hour delay!

I am not a very frequent WN flyer, but I recall only once seeing WN overbooked and seeking volunteers. It was about 5 months ago on a Friday evening flight leaving IND. What caught my attention was they were seeking only one volunteer and offered $1000 voucher, to take a flight the following morning. (They VERY quickly got that volunteer, and I suspect would have even if they had begun the bidding at $500).

I wonder how often the "passenger smells bad but not because of a disability/illness" thing is enforced. I could imagine someone who smells bad because they do not wash/shower properly -- but that is attributable in whole or in part to a mental illness. I guess that is the sort of thing that keeps lawyers employed...

Last edited by Chamor; Mar 27, 2022 at 12:29 pm
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
A few reasons this happens to WN:
Change in equipment.
Cancelled flights
Crew that MUST fly to staff a plane elsewhere.
And overweight, weather, over sold (yes still happens on WN, not sure how, but I have benefited). My VDBs have actually gone up on WN since they "stopped overselling" flights.

Last edited by ftnoob; Mar 28, 2022 at 7:05 am Reason: Clean up
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:46 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by xliioper
There have been some cases where airlines have gone after people who make speculative bookings in order to try to obtain bump vouchers. Basically, they would book fuller, more popular flights and hope they end up overbooked and then jump to the head of the queue at the gate for a bump voucher if they needed volunteers. However, generally they would book fully refundable fares and just refund them before actually taking a flight (whether or not they came away with any vouchers). So as long as you are not routinely claiming bump vouchers for speculatively booked flights, I don't see this as generating any red flags. I suspect this tactic would not be very successful today as airlines don't seem to intentionally overbook after Dr. Dao incident.
About 25 years ago, inventory management was quite dumb at WN and I did this all the time to acquire vouchers. I was flying on Herb's dime for years. Unfortunately, WN got much smarter and I couldn't do this reliably for many years prior to the end of overbooking at WN. I don't believe it's possible in 2022 to game the system at any modern airline with speculative bookings and time wasted at the airport to earn bump vouchers.

There is also the story of a customer who booked refundable tickets for the sole purpose of eating and drinking for free at the lounge with no intent to actually fly. I don't remember which airline or any other detail, but I read about it a couple of years ago.
jjbiv and m907 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by jmw
About 25 years ago, inventory management was quite dumb at WN and I did this all the time to acquire vouchers.
There were pax who would position themselves in LAS on a Sunday afternoon with a handful of tickets to various cities, knowing that these were the most oversold airplanes in the system.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
There were pax who would position themselves in LAS on a Sunday afternoon with a handful of tickets to various cities, knowing that these were the most oversold airplanes in the system.
Ah - the good old days. When you could basically get plane tickets by just buying enough yogurt!

The closest I can get to gaming the system these days -- since Southwest closed most of their 30-day rebooking loopholes -- is speculatively booking the most harebrained route I can find with 2 connections within 14 days of my desired trip, and hoping something changes in the system to trigger a rebooking (heck, even a tail number change will do it!).
jmw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.