Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11.20 fee on some 1 way point fares

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

11.20 fee on some 1 way point fares

Anyone else notice that Southwest is charging 11.20 for some of the one way points flight listings. For example, June 15, BNA - SYR. There are 2 flights showing the $11.20 fee instead of 5.60. the 11:45am departing and then the 1:50PM departing both show it. I didn't know if its a glitch or intentional.

update: I noticed it does say this at the top now:
"Dollar amounts shown below represent government-imposed taxes. Amounts can vary based on flight connection duration."
So I guess its not a glitch...

Thanks.

Jason

Last edited by jep8821; Mar 5, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I see it too only on 2 of the possible flights. Odd
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
They both have very long layovers (5+hrs). At one time, any layover over 4 hours was treated as a separate flight for that fee. No idea if that still holds.
Tanic, FindAWay, ryw and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:34 pm

Yep, I run into this more often these days, because the schedule is still a little thin. It has been a thing ever since they increased the maximum domestic layover time, but I didn't run into it much because I don't often fly to outstations. I see them more now, even between FLL and fairly well serviced airports.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
They both have very long layovers (5+hrs). At one time, any layover over 4 hours was treated as a separate flight for that fee. No idea if that still holds.
WN recently started allowing connections up to 6 hours on a single fare component (used to be 4 hours before you would have to book flights on separate fares).
WN one-way flights now bookable with 4-6 hour layovers

But they still charge the extra $5.60 TSA tax as if they are separate fares when connection is over 4 hours. Seems like a coding mistake, but it could be the 4 hour threshold is somehow mandated by the feds.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 5, 2022 at 7:19 pm
Old Mar 5, 2022, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
WN recently started allowing connections up to 6 hours on a single fare component (used to be 4 hours before you would have to book flights on separate fares).
WN one-way flights now bookable with 4-6 hour layovers

But they still charge the extra $5.60 TSA tax as if they are separate fares when connection is over 4 hours. Seems like a coding mistake, but it could be the 4 hour threshold is somehow mandated by the feds.
The additional $5.60 September 11 Security Fee is required when there is more than a four-hour break between flights within the Continental U.S. See the definitions of "one-way trip" and "stopover" in the regulation:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/1510.3
ryw, jjbiv, nsx and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 7:57 pm

$5.60
Attached Images  
dc333 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by dmbolp
$5.60
Yes, when TSA does ZERO work to earn their slice of the pie.
liberty805, screeton and m907 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by jep8821
Anyone else notice that Southwest is charging 11.20 for some of the one way points flight listings. For example, June 15, BNA - SYR. There are 2 flights showing the $11.20 fee instead of 5.60. the 11:45am departing and then the 1:50PM departing both show it. I didn't know if its a glitch or intentional.

update: I noticed it does say this at the top now:
"Dollar amounts shown below represent government-imposed taxes. Amounts can vary based on flight connection duration."
So I guess its not a glitch...

Thanks.

Jason
11.20 is 5.60 x2

this with all airlines if you have a lay over exceeding I think 4 hrs and I think if you have to exit and re enter TSA to change terminals to make a connection on a split airline ticket.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Yes, when TSA does ZERO work to earn their slice of the pie.
​​​​​​One could arguably get their moneys worth for the extra 5.60 by seeing how many round trips in and out of the security line they can do during the layover.

Or: leave the secure area once to go but your own slice of pie

//I thought paying a second 1 US 5.60 fees was bad... Till I learned we had to pay Canadian airport improvement fees of $35 on a 4+ hour connection.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djp98374
11.20 is 5.60 x2

this with all airlines if you have a lay over exceeding I think 4 hrs and I think if you have to exit and re enter TSA to change terminals to make a connection on a split airline ticket.
It is entirely due to connection exceeding 4 hours as documented in linked federal regulation above, and has nothing to do with whether or not you need to change terminals and re-enter security. If you are booking separate tickets (on one airline or different ones) to create your own connections, you will obviously have to pay it twice (even if connection is in same terminal and less than four hours). If you use multi-city booking option on WN to create your own connections and combine two fares on a single ticket, you will not get charged an extra $5.60 as long as connection is under 4 hours.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by xliioper
It is entirely due to connection exceeding 4 hours as documented in linked federal regulation above, and has nothing to do with whether or not you need to change terminals and re-enter security. If you are booking separate tickets (on one airline or different ones) to create your own connections, you will obviously have to pay it twice (even if connection is in same terminal and less than four hours). If you use multi-city booking option on WN to create your own connections and combine two fares on a single ticket, you will not get charged an extra $5.60 as long as connection is under 4 hours.
I don’t know the latest modifications to the law.

there can be clauses such as flying to LAX via international terminal and needing to change terminals without a behind security bus available.

an airline does not charge this if there is a schedule change such as a rebooking change forcing a night stay like on AS hawaii to west coast then to east coast with one leg a planned red eye that gets cancelled or changed creating a 10 pm or so arrive with a 7 am departure. There can be some exceptions Such as a limited service route forcing a longer layover.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
I just purchased a one way reward flight LGA-MIA. I didn't do multi-city or my own itinerary, just selected a one stop from the Departing Flights list. I would have thought the $11.20 fee was a mistake if I hadn't seen this thread. There is a 5 hour stop in BWI. What is weird is that the email confirmation subject is "You are going to Baltimore on...." instead of the expected Miami destination.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by oceanbreeez
I just purchased a one way reward flight LGA-MIA. I didn't do multi-city or my own itinerary, just selected a one stop from the Departing Flights list. I would have thought the $11.20 fee was a mistake if I hadn't seen this thread. There is a 5 hour stop in BWI. What is weird is that the email confirmation subject is "You are going to Baltimore on...." instead of the expected Miami destination.
It's not weird, it's the exact same dynamic being discussed in this thread; SW treating this as 2 separate flights due to the long layover (yet connected in some ways)
oceanbreeez likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
It's not weird, it's the exact same dynamic being discussed in this thread; SW treating this as 2 separate flights due to the long layover (yet connected in some ways)
"Connected in some ways" typically indicates your bags won't roll out at BWI.

Get out and get some fresh air by walking or running the 11-mile BWI Hiker-Biker Trail around the perimeter of the airport.
oceanbreeez and jjbiv like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.