Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convert LUV Voucher to Travel Funds

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
At the risk of repeating myself, I wonder if they won't eliminate LUV vouchers altogether and simply issue transferable Travel Funds.
Won't they still need some type of funny money delivery system, not tied to a specific PNR, for goodwill accommodations? (late flights, general FU's, etc),

Last edited by joshua362; Aug 1, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Won't they still need some type of funny money delivery system, not tied to a specific PNR, for goodwill accommodations? (late flights, general FU's, etc),
Why can't it be tied to a PNR? IF there was a reservation that went sideways then there is a PNR, they could even make one up.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Aug 2, 2022 at 10:05 am
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:54 am

Vouchers for other customer service accommodations will likely remain.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
I very much suspect that after the end of the current "no fee" accommodation (Dec. 31, 2022) Southwest will simply stop issuing vouchers for expired travel funds. I also suspect that they will close the loophole currently allowing WGA funds to be made transferrable by applying them to a WGA+ fare, so that transferability is only available though the initial purchase of WGA+ or higher.
I don't see why they would close the loophole. As long as they're getting a $30 premium I don't think they care.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by m907
I don't see why they would close the loophole. As long as they're getting a $30 premium I don't think they care.
No, the loophole is: Traveler A has WGA funds. He books and just cancels a WGA+ trip, making the funds transferable to B. B books a WGA trip. Southwest is not getting any premium here.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by libralibra
No, the loophole is: Traveler A has WGA funds. He books and just cancels a WGA+ trip, making the funds transferable to B. B books a WGA trip. Southwest is not getting any premium here.
Southwest is getting money from A. They don't care if B uses it.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: LTP, PP
They certainly do, about 20 years back they changed their rule tying it to the original traveler. To encourage expiration and breakage and the forfeiting of funds. With the current removal of expiration dates, this is likely less of a focus. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go away or a fee charged to transfer to another traveler. Outside of FT, how much of the general population is going to know and use the WGA+ trick?

BTW, nothing in the corporate world is given for free. They've simply figured out how to make up the breakage income somewhere else, likely with higher fares.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:29 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I had $1300 in expired travel funds. Went though a phone agent last week and she issued a case number and said it would take 30-45 days.

Yesterday I DM’d on Twitter and the voucher appeared via email within 4 hours.

I then booked $1300 worth of flights and cancelled. Now I have funds that don’t expire.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:02 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nsx
Good idea. As you know, it’s simple. Book any flight with LUV voucher and credit card. Cancel and refund the credit card part. You then have a $100 travel credit.
Maybe not so simple. I booked a trip with a small early-expiring LUV voucher, a travel credit, and credit card. I canceled and refunded the credit card.

The Travel Funds list shows a non-expiring travel credit, but when I try to use it, the software reports the original early expiration date. Ruh-roh.

Some of the software does not know that the reservation I just created and canceled was created today and therefore should not expire. Other parts of the software do know that it should not expire.

Edit: The expiration glitch had fixed itself a few hours later when I tried to use these funds. No expiration now.

It's a temporary thing, but the phone agent I spoke to claimed that the initial behavior was correct. Some training on this glitch might help.

Last edited by nsx; Aug 4, 2022 at 6:38 pm
Old Aug 20, 2022, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tyler Payne
Southwest just announced today that Flight Credits no longer expire. I had a couple LUV Vouchers that I hadn't used yet, so I called the SW Customer Service line to ask if I could extend the expiration date. He suggested that I book a flight using the LUV Vouchers, then cancel the flight. Then the Voucher money used would go back to my account as a Flight Credit with no expiration date. It worked! Great loophole to get rid of the expiration date on your LUV Vouchers.
Thanks so much for the info! Did you cancel right away, or did you wait 24 hours, or does it not really matter?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Kelly Fuller King
Thanks so much for the info! Did you cancel right away, or did you wait 24 hours, or does it not really matter?
I booked and canceled right away so no waiting required.

unofficially speaking to agent said the amt of time wasted on travel funds expiration and reviving expired travel funds was his theory to why no more expiration dates.
nsx likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 3:36 pm

Original expiration remained! Even on a "none" expiration travel credit.

I was trying to convert LUV vouchers that expire December 2022, into future flight credit with no expiration. It didn't work.

1. I booked a flight in December with LUV vouchers.
2. I immediately canceled, refunding the paid portion to original payment, and the website showed the LUV-paid portion would be a future flight credit. It said with "NONE" expiration, as if it was not expired.
3. I checked my Travel Funds and it showed the credit with NONE expiration.

HOWEVER,

I then tried a test booking to buy a flight in 2023 with my new "none" expiration travel credit. At checkout, after applying the travel credit it failed to apply because: "Fund expires before travel is completed."

So even though the travel credits appear to be nonexpiring, it actually is still coding as if it does.

I could probably argue with Southwest that my account clearly shows that this travel credit does not expire, but I was really hoping this would be all automatic.

Last edited by alchemista; Sep 10, 2022 at 3:48 pm
Old Sep 10, 2022, 4:07 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Wait an hour and try again. It should work.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Wait an hour and try again. It should work.
Same problem 2 hours later.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:49 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by alchemista
Same problem 2 hours later.
I would try it again after 1230am central time before spending time on the phone to request help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.