Fictional Southwest Shuttle Service

Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Fictional Southwest Shuttle Service

For forever in the back of my mind I have thought of the idea of a Southwest shuttle. Example a plane flys :

SFO-FAT-LAX-SMF-LAS-BUR-OAK
Another plane might do
SAN-OAK-RNO-FAT-ONT-LAS-PSP

Just make a route like that that kinda makes sense…

Minimal ground time at each station, land, unload, load, takeoff. No cleaning, no loading, just landing and taking off.

But here is what makes it worthwhile. All flights are the same cost. $33 per segment.
In my first example, you want to go SFO-FAT? $33 bucks. SFO-LAS would be $132. SFO-OAK would be $198

No pre-booking fees, no add on fees, just $33 (or whatever price) per segment.

I bet with some thought they could come up with some routes that would make decent money. With Alaska offering the subscription, this might be a way to “fight back”

Would you do it it? $66 SJC-FAT-LAX any time any day? Your return might be LAX-SMF-FAT-SJC for $99.
Just buy a shuttle ticket, no advance notice necessary. .

What route paths would you come up with?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
For forever in the back of my mind I have thought of the idea of a Southwest shuttle... Minimal ground time at each station, land, unload, load, takeoff. No cleaning, no loading, just landing and taking off...But here is what makes it worthwhile. All flights are the same cost. $33 per segment...Just buy a shuttle ticket, no advance notice necessary. .
You pretty much described WN, pre-1990.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
What route paths would you come up with?
SMF-SJC-FAT-LAX-LAS-PHX-ABQ-ELP-MAF-AUS-DAL-SAT-HOU-MSY-BHM-BNA-ATL. Split it however you want, because you'll need at least a couple of aircraft.

Oh wait...

Originally Posted by Tanic
You pretty much described WN, pre-1990.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Sounds like PSA Airlines "midnight flyer" service. Dirt cheap, but from San Diego to Sacramento required stops in Los Angeles, Bakersfield, and Fresno.

United used to have flights from SMF to LAX with stops in Fresno (or was it Stockton ?) and Bakersfield.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Short hail 737s like that are more costly to operate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.