Wiki Posts
Search

Security at O'Hare

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA
Security at O'Hare

Kids are going to be flying out of O'Hare in a month. I have not flown out of T5 in a while (was pre pandemic) and most of the TSA wait time websites either give general times for all of ORD or just list terminals 1-3. Anyone have recent experience with TSA wait times? What to expect? We are trying to figure out how early they need to get to the airport.

Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
What time is the flight? Generally anytime before 1pm is a breeze. After, with all the evening, high capacity international flights some delays are normal. FWIW, I've never waited more than 15 minutes, and two months ago it was about 10. As always, ymmv!
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobnchi
What time is the flight? Generally anytime before 1pm is a breeze. After, with all the evening, high capacity international flights some delays are normal. FWIW, I've never waited more than 15 minutes, and two months ago it was about 10. As always, ymmv!
Thank you - flight time is around 3pm, so that prime busy period I guess. I was thinking boarding would begin around 2:15, so I was going to get them to the airport around 1:30, giving 45 minutes for security.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by tbuccelli
Thank you - flight time is around 3pm, so that prime busy period I guess. I was thinking boarding would begin around 2:15, so I was going to get them to the airport around 1:30, giving 45 minutes for security.
Wrong! You have be there more than 2 hours in advance. So please spend more extra time. You must come at ORD airport early. You don't want stuck at security. The lines will be very long.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:35 am
Original Poster

I guess you have to plan on the off chance security is delayed. ORD TSA times are listed as "around" 15-20 minutes when I checked - with PRE I usually spent about 10, less now with CLEAR, but that is Terminal 1. I was concerned about Terminal 5 as that is never listed.

Sent my wife there 1.5 hrs "early" and she ended up sitting around for an extra 1.25 hrs and was "upset" with me with standard security taking less than 15 minutes.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Note that T5 does NOT have a dedicated PreCheck lane, they only have PreCheck lite ("here, have a card").
FindAWay likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by tbuccelli
I guess you have to plan on the off chance security is delayed. ORD TSA times are listed as "around" 15-20 minutes when I checked - with PRE I usually spent about 10, less now with CLEAR, but that is Terminal 1. I was concerned about Terminal 5 as that is never listed.

Sent my wife there 1.5 hrs "early" and she ended up sitting around for an extra 1.25 hrs and was "upset" with me with standard security taking less than 15 minutes.
Yet another reason why she is glad she is not married to me. I don't understand people who get ulcers from cutting it close.
formeraa, alggag, jjbiv and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.