Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Spirit and Frontier announce merger: Effect on Southwest?

Old Feb 7, 2022, 9:47 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

Reduced competition should increase fares.

WSJ News Alert: Frontier Group, Spirit Airlines Merge in $6.6 Billion Deal
synergistic and joshua362 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
Or F9 and NK could eliminate duplicated routes and use that capacity to compete meaningfully on even more WN routes.
nsx and futuramadramallama like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:58 am

I don't find they have that much overlap, and their frequency will still be a problem, unless that changes.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I don't find they have that much overlap, and their frequency will still be a problem, unless that changes.
That would be my #1 reason for not flying certain carriers. No alternative options when a flight is cancelled is a no go for me.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:53 pm

It could be a challenger to WN but depends. Back in 2018, Frontier added odd ball routes like PHL-BHM, while Spirit didn't. I believe they both flew PHL-ATL, a WN route where WN isn't that strong, although Frontier was less than daily. If the new Frontier/Spirit adopts more of the Frontier style of routes, seasonal 4x weekly like PHL-BHM, then no big deal to WN in the East/Midwest. But, if it decides rather than run routes like PHL-BHM, PHL-SAV, it will focus on PHL-ATL frequency, that could make it tight for WN. NK's model allowed more connections. I remember missing a PHL-DFW flight on Spirit and I was accommodated on a PHL-ATL-DFW. With Frontier, it ran a PHL-DFW for a short while but had no connecting options. If the new route map has a lot of random flights without connections, there won't be a strengthened route network necessarily.

If it splits DC with a lot of random IAD routes, no big deal to WN. If it focuses on alternate airports like ISP, TTN, ACY, no big deal for WN. But if it loads up on frequency out of ATL or BWI to destinations that WN flies, a bigger problem for WN.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
I think Southwest and Spirit/Frontier are actually very different types of carriers, almost fundamentally so. Anecdotally, Southwest has some of the highest fares in the market, even higher than some legacies; Spirit/Frontier have some of the lowest. Southwest has the most generous baggage policy, and change/cancel/standby policy. Spirit/Frontier has the least.

That said, it's possible that they still attract the same type of customer. But I guess my hypothesis (at least atm) is the merger will affect the legacies (or Allegiant) far more than the likes of Southwest.
m907 and Daze like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 1:25 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I think all the legacy carriers will be impacted by this merger.
Any route that Spirit or Frontier flies out of ATL is automatically much cheaper on Delta because obviously they feel the need to compete. It will be interesting to see what happens. Fare wars will happen.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Now there is just one other airline to avoid at all cost when WN is not an option...not two.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:20 am

NK and F9 compete on cost, not necessarily on service or product.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:36 pm

...and B6 now makes things more interesting.
synergistic and ryw like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
...and B6 now makes things more interesting.
Their policies are almost as unfriendly as Spirit's, so it makes sense.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by beyondhere
But if it loads up on frequency out of ATL or BWI to destinations that WN flies, a bigger problem for WN.
Back in 2014 or so I heard that Frontier was going to take over 16 gates in the ATL D concourse that Southwest was giving up as Southwest reduced their flights in Atlanta as part of the Airtran merger. They were going to make Atlanta a sort of Eastern hub for Frontier but somehow Delta prevented that from happening. I don't know the details but it may have been related to the deal Southwest made with Delta to give Delta all the 717s.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:30 pm

Frontier and Spirit could offer me free nonstop tickets to any destination and I wouldn't accept. But I do think it can impact Southwest as they flood the market with "cheap" seats. Perfect example is in my home city of Cleveland. We get 1 daily UA flight to MCO and 1 weekly WN flight to MCO (Saturday). F9 and NK have up to 6 nonstop flights a day to MCO. The market is flooded with low fares so the legacy carriers aren't even competing in those markets.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Back in 2014 or so I heard that Frontier was going to take over 16 gates in the ATL D concourse that Southwest was giving up as Southwest reduced their flights in Atlanta as part of the Airtran merger. They were going to make Atlanta a sort of Eastern hub for Frontier but somehow Delta prevented that from happening. I don't know the details but it may have been related to the deal Southwest made with Delta to give Delta all the 717s.
WN growth at DEN makes it a stakeholder in any bidding war. Frontier wants to add 14 "ground boarding gates" at the east end of Concourse A. It would allow for boarding from front and rear doors of the planes.

J
etBlue proposes removing some seats on Spirit's planes. "The most legroom in coach" could go up against "Bags Fly Free."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.