Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nearby airports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:27 am
Original Poster

nearby airports

Is there a way to search flights, in a single search, including nearby airports. For example, if I want to search flights out of ORD and MDW, or DCA and BWI? Or do I have to do two separate searches?

If the latter, any idea why WN set up its search this way? Clearly, the technology to allow search of multiple adjacent airports exists. All of the "normal" airlines' websites allow this. But WN appears not to. Or at least I have not figured out how to do it.
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
You must search each airport separately.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
No and I don't really blame them. Offering multi airport options can lead to confusion on what you are actually booking when clicking through and let's face it, people are really not all that smart any more.
Justjax90 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
OP, It's either a choice, or they don't have the IT to do it.

Originally Posted by PAX62
No and I don't really blame them. Offering multi airport options can lead to confusion on what you are actually booking when clicking through
On other airlines, B6, AA, AS, DL I can put in NYC for the New York area airports so it is possible and for me, desirable. Some have a "return to same airport" check box. Some give a warning when search results produce different arrival and departure airports.

Originally Posted by PAX62
and let's face it, people are really not all that smart any more.
When were people smart?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AMflier
OP, It's either a choice, or they don't have the IT to do it.
For sure that is right. And I have to believe that it is a choice -- because nearly ever other airline allows one to search multiple airports, as do other flight search engines. It does not really matter, but it would be interesting to know why WN made that choice,
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If I recall correctly, this is on a long list of Southwest's planned future upgrades.
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:29 pm
Company Representative, Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Chamor
Is there a way to search flights, in a single search, including nearby airports. For example, if I want to search flights out of ORD and MDW, or DCA and BWI? Or do I have to do two separate searches?

If the latter, any idea why WN set up its search this way? Clearly, the technology to allow search of multiple adjacent airports exists. All of the "normal" airlines' websites allow this. But WN appears not to. Or at least I have not figured out how to do it.

Good news - we’re actively working on nearby airport shopping on the desktop website. Hope to have some improvements there for you in late spring. Thanks to Kathi, Taylor and team for some great optimization and research there!

Additionally, our team is wrapping up with engineering a frequent traveler storage and purchase page selection capability. Which I’m sure will be appreciated by my FT friends. At first it will launch on our desktop My Account and our desktop booking flow. Then we will work to get it to the mobile web and app flow. As of now that wraps up in engineering in March so I hope for a some goodness in Q2 too.

Other things our digital elves are working on include an offline mode for the app to better handle lost network connectivity, a mobile friendly my account, and lots of helpful day of travel improvements.

As always, just like my weight during the holidays, roadmaps are subject to change. I’m trying not to use the word pivot in 2022 but we constantly have to do that to respond to the ever changing environment. But please know we are always listening and trying to make things better for all of you!
jmw, Chamor, synergistic and 4 others like this.

Last edited by swaMark; Jan 11, 2022 at 9:08 pm Reason: Extra large thumbs
Old Jan 12, 2022, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by swaMark
Good news - we’re actively working on nearby airport shopping on the desktop website. Hope to have some improvements there for you in late spring. Thanks to Kathi, Taylor and team for some great optimization and research there!

Additionally, our team is wrapping up with engineering a frequent traveler storage and purchase page selection capability. Which I’m sure will be appreciated by my FT friends. At first it will launch on our desktop My Account and our desktop booking flow. Then we will work to get it to the mobile web and app flow. As of now that wraps up in engineering in March so I hope for a some goodness in Q2 too.

Other things our digital elves are working on include an offline mode for the app to better handle lost network connectivity, a mobile friendly my account, and lots of helpful day of travel improvements.

As always, just like my weight during the holidays, roadmaps are subject to change. I’m trying not to use the word pivot in 2022 but we constantly have to do that to respond to the ever changing environment. But please know we are always listening and trying to make things better for all of you!
A map like United has would be just as, if not more, helpful.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
You can search on google flights. You can't see prices (without clicking through), but you can at least see what your options are.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Chamor
For sure that is right. And I have to believe that it is a choice -- because nearly ever other airline allows one to search multiple airports, as do other flight search engines. It does not really matter, but it would be interesting to know why WN made that choice,
they don’t have the option. In sone way you can blame how they started being a small airline and growing by expanding and purchasing airlines.

they didn’t have the IT systems to add to it based on the cobol programming.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by djp98374
they don’t have the option. In sone way you can blame how they started being a small airline and growing by expanding and purchasing airlines.

they didn’t have the IT systems to add to it based on the cobol programming.
That's just silly. They're a $20+ billion corporation.
Chamor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.