Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog Passes On Southwest Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
I am on Southwest's side on this one but the pet owner is an idiot IMO for both bringing that dog and how they dealt with the situation and the FA could have also easily handled it better.

Here is the thing that most people do not understand...Flight Attendants can NOT give you permission to violate any of the rules...so don't ask...ever. They DO however have the discretion of how they deal with a passenger that DOES break any given rule.

Just like getting up to use the toilet with the seatbelt sign on...if you ask, they will 100% say no...if you just get up and go, they at most will say "return to seat" if anything.

Ask for forgiveness not permission and just take the dang dog out if it is literally dying.

Originally Posted by geo979
This attitude seems very selfish. Basically you are saying that you don't care if 100+ other passengers have their trips ruined because the dog owner decided to break the rules of the airline.

If it kept my dog from dying...100% without question...but it was a vailed threat...no pilot is gonna turn a plane around cuz a dog is out of the carrier that is not posing a further hazard..

Last edited by PAX62; Jan 6, 2022 at 11:48 am
Old Jan 6, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd be concerned that a dog struggling to breathe might escape from its owner and/or bite someone out of fear and the stress of flying. That would be a bad outcome too.
I am sorry that you are so fearful of a small animal. If "dog bites seat mate" had happened, then we could be discussing the validity of removing (or at least uncovering) an animal in a carrier. However, that did not happen, and injecting "what if" scenarios are not particularly helpful in looking for better approaches. Are you familiar with the size of a French Bulldog? Do you have any concept of what would be involved for it to get much of your body into its mouth? Its very hard to imagine any injury, much less a significant injury, inflicted by that breed.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by screeton
All of the comments about the breed of dog, breathing problems, the questionable logic of bringing a pet on the plane, all have their place and have some degree of validity. The fact remains, the dog WAS on the plane, regardless of bad decisions of the owner or bad decisions of the airline to allow all breeds on board. The question at hand at that point in time was: (1) would removing the dog from the carrier have possibly saved its life, and (2) would removing the dog in that controlled situation, in flight, have jeopardized any other passengers? We cannot answer point #1 other than to say that it possibly could have saved the dog's life. Point #2 -safety in flight - we are not talking about taking a Great Dane or a vicious German Shepherd police dog out of a cage, we are talking about a dog small enough to fit in a carrier underneath a seat. To argue that it was going to jeopardize anyone is really, really a stretch. Flights are more jeopardized when passengers repeatedly get up to go to the restroom while the seatbelt light is still illuminated. As for some people not liking dogs... so what? Some people don't like flying, but they still do it. When we fly a commercial airline, we all subject our personal preferences to accommodate everyone so we can all get from Point A to Point B in a timely manner. I don't like sitting next to grossly obese passengers who take up half of my space and who apparently have not had a bath or brushed their teeth in a week, but when I have been in that situation, I endure it and behave like an adult. We should insist on the same courtesy from the seat mates of the person with the dog in distress.

No question, this was NOT one of Southwest's shining moments. Shame on the flight attendants who could not manage a better response than to threaten to turn the plane around with "consequences" to the passenger. I have been a SWA passenger forever, and most of the time I view this company as "my" airline and am proud of what I see with employees. I admire the corporate culture that seems (at least to those of us on the outside) to survive despite many challenges. However, we are seeing and hearing more and more of these unfortunate incidents where a SWA employee perhaps follows the rule to the letter but does NOT in any way reflect the Southwest Spirit. If the company is no longer interested in passenger goodwill like they once were in the good old days, perhaps they should at least calculate the public relations disaster that events such as this bring to the company. Many people have small animal pets, dogs, cats, etc. that are truly part of their family, perhaps their only family, and while most of us will never consider having them fly with us, we do very much identify as a pet owner with losing a pet under those circumstances. It is very, very difficult to justify the behavior of the SWA flight attendant in this situation. Southwest, step up and do a little more behind the scenes training to make sure that arbitrary in flight decisions by attendants, decisions that do NOT impact the safety of the flight, are made in a more compassionate manner.
wholeheartedly disagree. Which is mOre selfish… taking up two seats because you are grossly obese and you only bought one, or complaining about the person sitting to your right whose shoulder is resting against your left ear? We should all be more cognizant of our impact on others.

back to the topic… taking a French bulldog on a plane is just silly for reasons mentioned earlier.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:21 pm
J S

This attitude seems very selfish. Basically you are saying that you don't care if 100+ other passengers have their trips ruined because the dog owner decided to break the rules of the airline.
Turning a plan around because someone took a very small and likely incapacitated dog out of a carrier would be an absurd over reaction. Perhaps Southwest should turn the plan around if you fail to wipe out the sink for the next passenger.
screeton likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by PAX62
back to the topic… taking a French bulldog on a plane is just silly for reasons mentioned earlier.
We all agree that taking a French bulldog on a plane is not ideal because the breed is challenged anyway, but there are other small snout breeds with similar known breathing problems. That said, we have no knowledge of why the owner made the decision to fly with the pet, perhaps some circumstances where this choice was deemed the lesser of evils. Until or unless SWA bans these particular breeds of dogs due to these known airway issues, the only question at hand is whether the FA acted appropriately or overreacted in an unnecessarily inappropriate manner. Everyone recalls the horror story of a few years back of a FA (not on SWA as I recall) demanding that a dog in carrier be put in the overhead bin rather than under seat, the dog making noise as if in distress during flight, but FA refusing to let pax take dog down. At the end of trip it was discovered that the dog had suffocated, and deplaning passengers were then treated to watching the owner trying desperately to perform resuscitation on the dog in front of small, very distraught children to whom the dog belonged. Common sense and compassion go a long way in these sort of decisions, and while all passengers are expected to follow FA directions, we also expect FA's to exercise good judgement, even if they are having a bad day or a long trip. As long as pets or companion animals are going to be allowed on board, everyone involved needs to be on their best game when situations arise. Hopefully the huge majority of FA's on SWA absolutely operate in this "best game" mode anyway, which is why these unfortunate lapses get so much attention.
Chris75 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
When people see other passengers breaking a rule and the FA failing to intervene, it's an outrage.
When people want to break a rule but the FA intervenes to enforce the rule, it's also an outrage.

So the reasoning here goes.

The rule is the rule. If you don't like the inflight pets rule, blame all those morons who let emotional support pigs and ponies and turkeys loose in the cabin, not the FA.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 5:09 pm

I am sorry that you are so fearful of a small animal. If "dog bites seat mate" had happened, then we could be discussing the validity of removing (or at least uncovering) an animal in a carrier. However, that did not happen, and injecting "what if" scenarios are not particularly helpful in looking for better approaches. Are you familiar with the size of a French Bulldog? Do you have any concept of what would be involved for it to get much of your body into its mouth? Its very hard to imagine any injury, much less a significant injury, inflicted by that breed.
It is not your place ( or the place of anyone else) to poo poo the fears of another. There are many people for many reasons who are scared of dogs- regardless if they are big or small. That individual boards an aircraft with the expectation of no animals not in crates. If that person foolishly went to a dog park, I wouldn’t expect owners to all grab and hold their animals. People have expectations of their environments and how their fears are placed at risk!
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by BearX220
When people see other passengers breaking a rule and the FA failing to intervene, it's an outrage.
When people want to break a rule but the FA intervenes to enforce the rule, it's also an outrage.

So the reasoning here goes.

The rule is the rule. If you don't like the inflight pets rule, blame all those morons who let emotional support pigs and ponies and turkeys loose in the cabin, not the FA.
I doubt that it was the flight attendant who made the threat to turn the plane around. Typically the first officer would make that threat to the non-compliant passenger....at least that's how it was in the old days of flying.

Also, the story says the dog succumbed to heat stroke, which seems inconsistent with a lack of oxygen.

Just two unresolved issues about this unfortunate event.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:52 pm

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
Here's the appropriate way to deal with this situation. But also, here is evidence that French Bulldogs run into breathing problems on planes and should not be brought onboard.

Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:14 am

This is exactly what I would have expected from SWA, and is a perfect example of how a personal crisis for one person (or in this case one person's "family member"' who happened to be a dog) turns into a public relations bonanza for the company because the crew on the plane did the "right" thing. I hope that SWA top officials take note of the negativity that the SWA incident continues to generate, versus the incredibly positive reporting from the Jet Blue incident (even 4 years after the fact), and makes sure that crew understands the expectation that they assist with all passengers (2-legged and 4-legged) when doing so will not impact the safety of other passengers. Perhaps one of the SWA reps who monitor this thread can pass it along to those who have an opportunity to impact policy. In the original case reported, SWA could and should have done better - the famous SWA Spirit and can-do attitude from the past was sadly lacking that day.

Last edited by screeton; Jan 12, 2022 at 9:25 am
Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver
This is exactly what I would have expected from SWA, and is a perfect example of how a personal crisis for one person (or in this case one person's "family member"' who happened to be a dog) turns into a public relations bonanza for the company because the crew on the plane did the "right" thing. I hope that SWA top officials take note of the negativity that the SWA incident continues to generate, versus the incredibly positive reporting from the Jet Blue incident (even 4 years after the fact), and makes sure that crew understands the expectation that they assist with all passengers (2-legged and 4-legged) when doing so will not impact the safety of other passengers. Perhaps one of the SWA reps who monitor this thread can pass it along to those who have an opportunity to impact policy. In the original case reported, SWA could and should have done better - the famous SWA Spirit and can-do attitude from the past was sadly lacking that day.
I disagree. SWA handled it properly. If you bring a dog with breathing problems on a flight and you know the rules are you can't remove the dog from the carrier then YOU (the dog owner) are solely responsible for its death.
jep8821, m907 and Justjax90 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 1:05 pm

I disagree. SWA handled it properly. If you bring a dog with breathing problems on a flight and you know the rules are you can't remove the dog from the carrier then YOU (the dog owner) are solely responsible for its death.
(1) perhaps the owner did not know dog has a breathing problem - those of us on Flyertalk are obviously more informed of this problem. Yes, they should have known, but when the dog is dying on the plane is not the time to teach them.
(2) your premise is unreasonable from my perspective. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Thanks for your input.
(3) from a strictly public relations standpoint, do you not see any difference between the feedback on the recent SWA incident and the feedback from the Jet Blue incident of a few years ago? One is PR publicity that no responsible corporation wants, airline or otherwise, while the other is PR of a positive nature that cannot be bought, it just happens. Again, nothing to jeopardize passengers, but within limits, give someone a helping hand and a little leeway when they are faced with a crisis, whether of their own making or of the "it just happens" scenario.

Last edited by screeton; Jan 12, 2022 at 1:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.