Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancelbot got me (was: flight canceled but still bookable)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 5:38 am
Original Poster

I got an email at 1am EST this morning stating that i canceled my reservation for my flight for this sunday (1/9). I was sleeping and did not cancel ths flight. The flight is still bookable via southwest's website at a much higher rate of course. Does this mean the flight itself will be canceled or should I be worried about someone in my account??

EDIT: Turns out I had two reservations on the same day and they auto-canceled one

Last edited by nagemnna; Jan 1, 2022 at 6:54 am
Old Jan 1, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Maybe, maybe - any chance you were double booked on another flight? If not, I would call in and see what is up.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by nagemnna
EDIT: Turns out I had two reservations on the same day and they auto-canceled one
The cheaper one? Or was it older? Do we know the algorithm in use?
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Darn good question. Always wondered how they decided to select the flight to cancel.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:14 am

A few years ago I remember getting a phone call asking which I wanted to keep, so it seems manual review is (or at least was) part of the process.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 4:32 pm

Southwest doesn't officially say. A rep once publicly stated that the system auto-cancels the most expensive booking. That, however, has been disputed here by flyers who've had seemingly different experiences, so I'm not sure that we've established a definitive answer.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:30 pm

At one point I thought we'd cracked it and then I experienced a cancellation that broke the 'rule' we thought we'd established. It's still possible that different triggering situations (actually conflicting, realistically not possible, consecutive duplicates, possibly others) have different rules applied, but I just treat it as though the system will always cancel the one I would have preferred it kept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.