"New fare product" Q2 2022

Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I meant all assigned seats with the option to buy up to a better seat.

Low cost carrier is funny, WN costs MUCH more that DL on the routes I fly and DL has much better flight times and is non stop...........here is my next trip comparison.

WN costs almost double but many have figured this out yet........
Low cost carrier refers to the carrier's (primarily operating) costs, not the prices they charge. But yes WN does have a lot of people trained to think they are always the lowest priced airline and to go to their website without checking prices on other airlines first.

Last edited by ulmguy; Dec 14, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
WN was double the competition for a trip next week that I just bought for a family member. I used DL miles, which are tied closely to fares.
Boraxo and flyer4512 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So I am going to go on a limb and pick these off:

(1) Carryon bag restrictions would greatly delay the turns and require more personnel as the GA is checking everybody through. So I don't see that happening
(2) Eliminating EBCI makes no sense as that eliminates a potential revenue stream that has proven very profitable.
(3) Non-changeable fares seems bizarre when every other airline finally matched WN and eliminated "change fees"

It is difficult to see what benefits WN could remove from the basic WGA fare bucket. Maybe checked baggage though that will impact the boarding process if more people carry-on. Certainly they could reduce mileage earning - maybe 3 points/$1 for BE fares. Maybe delete A list perks for BE fares or eliminate Companion Pass on BE. But that would just annoy your best customers.

WN does need a fare between WGA and anytime - as it stands it seems there are already multiple WGA fare points and the lowest disappear as the flight fills or that are never offered in peak periods. But the $39 WGA fare gets the same perks as the $159 WGA fare on the same flight, and maybe that is a problem now?

This looks to me like a simple fare increase which was the case when BE was introduced elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Daze
For a non-status flyer, who values slightly greater seat pitch, slightly better seat padding, non-middle seat with T-24 check in, and two checked bags...the WN WGA fare is IMHO, the best value in the sky. I hope they don't mess with that.
Prior to the pandemic the main thing I valued on WN was TTF and reliability. As both of those factors have now been superceded by the competition there is little incentive to fly WN anymore except for schedule frequency and secondary airport routings (e.g. OAK-BUR).

Case in point we flew OAK-SLC a year ago on DL. Free bags and only $10 extra for assigned E+ seats. Fare was lower than WN. But if WN flights are full I guess they don't miss us.

Last edited by Boraxo; Dec 14, 2021 at 3:02 pm
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by rasheed
If carry-on bags are restricted, it would be enforcement by the gate agent just as it is today.

I think the boarding order aspect removes the need for assigned seats for now, so I don't see that being on the table.

We might also see standby/same day confirmed switch more easily available for below Anytime fares.

it’s one thing to say you are limited to two bags ( most GAs can count that high)

ask thrm to cross check pax name and ticket class…good luck in that.

in basic economy they are thrown to last boarding group where space is usually filled up on planes

i guess we see a D boarding group? That will cost millions in system upgrades.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by nsx
WN was double the competition for a trip next week that I just bought for a family member. I used DL miles, which are tied closely to fares.
southwest operates differently. They usually raise prices under 14 days and under 7 days that makes wanna and BS under the $40 buy up. They utilize more longer planning horizons with business contract class purchases.

almost always other airlines sre better priced for under 2 weeks bookings. It’s always been that way.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
So I am going to go on a limb and pick these off:

(1) Carryon bag restrictions would greatly delay the turns and require more personnel as the GA is checking everybody through. So I don't see that happening
(2) Eliminating EBCI makes no sense as that eliminates a potential revenue stream that has proven very profitable.
(3) Non-changeable fares seems bizarre when every other airline finally matched WN and eliminated "change fees"

It is difficult to see what benefits WN could remove from the basic WGA fare bucket. Maybe checked baggage though that will impact the boarding process if more people carry-on. Certainly they could reduce mileage earning - maybe 3 points/$1 for BE fares. Maybe delete A list perks for BE fares or eliminate Companion Pass on BE. But that would just annoy your best customers.

WN does need a fare between WGA and anytime - as it stands it seems there are already multiple WGA fare points and the lowest disappear as the flight fills or that are never offered in peak periods. But the $39 WGA fare gets the same perks as the $159 WGA fare on the same flight, and maybe that is a problem now?

This looks to me like a simple fare increase which was the case when BE was introduced elsewhere.

Prior to the pandemic the main thing I valued on WN was TTF and reliability. As both of those factors have now been superceded by the competition there is little incentive to fly WN anymore except for schedule frequency and secondary airport routings (e.g. OAK-BUR).

Case in point we flew OAK-SLC a year ago on DL. Free bags and only $10 extra for assigned E+ seats. Fare was lower than WN. But if WN flights are full I guess they don't miss us.
for me I fly WN based on routes and times. Some routes they have better flight times or have directs/ one stop vs connections on other airlines.

I said originally in an up post that they likely do an 8 pt group between any and wanna.

thus might be what’s available on some routes when wanna is gone.

the only restrictions I can see them do is affect your boarding group you get. Wanna best they could get is B30. Or they set up a D grouping so you see a non continuous numbers between A and B and C and D. You have a few in A1-15, then A15-B47 which has status, anytime, and this in between group, then C1-C60 are filled and then it goes through D for all seats left on the plane.

They could then offer a lesser buy up to be first in line of these secondary group. On flight with heavy ststus/ anytime fares the Ccpoint could be C20 or worse.

basic economy doesnt come with free changes on airlines. They still come with a fee. Hiteks have nonrefund rates.

they could limit point earning on basic level. The big problem comes with fare changes and rebooking sun their current system where it just goes as cash credit. In a flight change they could change a cancelation fee of around 20% of paid amount.

the last thing they want to do is put such burden on gate/ flight attendants in policing the changes.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
...i guess we see a D boarding group? That will cost millions in system upgrades.
They're gonna add more seats to the same planes?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
They're gonna add more seats to the same planes?
right now they have 180 spots

they limit A and B to only those anytime and status you might have 2 in BS, A16-B10 have passes. So 57 PAX

69 Cs give you 117 total. Most planes have 150+ seats.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
right now they have 180 spots

they limit A and B to only those anytime and status you might have 2 in BS, A16-B10 have passes. So 57 PAX

69 Cs give you 117 total. Most planes have 150+ seats.
Still not following. The two configurations today are 143 and 175 seats. A and B today aren't limited to anytime and status; or are you saying this part of your prediction?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 6:08 pm
jmw

Here is my sad prediction/guess: C15+, no free standby for A list, and no free checked bags as a new BE product. Keep KISS as much as possible.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Still not following. The two configurations today are 143 and 175 seats. A and B today aren't limited to anytime and status; or are you saying this part of your prediction?
A1-A60= 60 spots. Same for B and C . Total is 180.

so they could change A/B boarding zones to just BS, status, anytime fare bookings. Any empty slots you could pay to get at a less fee thanBS buy up but only if available.

wanna fares with no status the best you can get is C1. From there you go into a D group.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I suspect that since no one here has come up with any possibilities that make any sense, WN will also institute a new fare that makes no sense and will simply drive people away in some vague effort to satisfy investors in the short term.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I suspect that since no one here has come up with any possibilities that make any sense, WN will also institute a new fare that makes no sense and will simply drive people away in some vague effort to satisfy investors in the short term.
Long term, code-sharing is paging "Bob Jordan" at BWI:

International low-cost airline launches next spring at BWI
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Long term, code-sharing is paging "Bob Jordan" at BWI:

International low-cost airline launches next spring at BWI
Like Volaris, ATA, or WestJet?
steved5480 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:04 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I find the 1 bag speculation amusing.

Can not be that many people that travel with more than 1 bag - per person.

Disclaimer - have not checked a bag in the past 100+ flights in our family.
When travelling for work ALWAYS check two bags and do the carry on plus personal item. If WN was to move away from two free checked bags up to 50lbs each, I would have no practical reason to stay loyal to WN should I ever be able to return to work. Two free checked bags plus no charge to use overhead bin is a HUGE deal to me.
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Boraxo

WN is clearly losing slash driving away the FF market, those of us that can calculate cost-benefit analyses, care about things like assigned seating, fare class, and what airport we fly into, and aren't hyper price sensitive. WN is seemingly losing calculating flyers in droves and retaining or gaining the people that have no clue what they're doing on an airplane, don't care about what airport they go into, only want the "lowest" fares, won't compare prices, and are loyal to WN based on outdated, false beliefs. They're clearly wanting more unthinking consumers and more inexperienced, uncalculating flyers. There is an apparent "brain drain" as WN experienced flyers flee to the suburbs (legacy carriers) leaving more confused, inexperienced flyers and a more chaotic experience on WN moving forward. That's my theory, at least.

Last edited by nineworldseries; Dec 17, 2021 at 10:51 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.