Wiki Posts
Search

One engine landing - $100 voucher

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
One engine landing - $100 voucher

Landed at LAX with one engine Friday morning. (Captan said it quit about 15 miles from landing. Didn’t even know anything was up until fire engines showed up and he announced it as we were sitting on the runway)
Woke up Saturday morning with an apology email and a $100 voucher for me and and one for my wife.
Is that normal?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:23 am

Southwest is giving out vouchers cause after last weekend's fiasco that is how they are trying to get people to still fly with them.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Southwest is giving out vouchers cause after last weekend's fiasco that is how they are trying to get people to still fly with them.
But this is completely unrelated to that. I can see how they’d try and placate passengers that were affected by their operational issues last week but this was something completely out of their control.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:48 am

Nice of them to do.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Nice of them to do.
Very nice. And even those who had connections supposedly made them.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
This would have got you a bigger payout.

nsx likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pkerr
But this is completely unrelated to that. I can see how they’d try and placate passengers that were affected by their operational issues last week but this was something completely out of their control.
This is going back quite a ways but I was once on a Southwest flight that ran into severe turbulence on approach into LAS and they gave us all vouchers even though again it was out of their control (I mean, I got one, so I assume everyone on the flight did)
Old Oct 16, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Yeah, that's funny and certainly nothing I'd expect. Honestly, I almost feel like the pax should tip the captain $100 for getting them on the ground safely
757FO, LegalTender and m907 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Do you get $200 if both engines go out?
mtofell and m907 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geo979
Do you get $200 if both engines go out?
joshua362 and dlaue like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 6:50 pm

I had a similar experience once, too. I was flying from BWI to PVD when we unexpectedly lost cabin pressure a few minutes after take off. The air masks all came down, we put them on, turned around and landed back at BWI. They got us a new aircraft and we were on our way without even much of a delay. A week later I received an apology letter and a LUV voucher.

The only complicating factor was that I was flying with my 85 8th-grade students on our way back from a trip to DC. I had asked the gate agent if we could board first and fill up every seat starting from the back of the plane. She said no, we would have to board in the C group, those are the rules, etc. I explained that if we boarded last every middle seat was going to have an 8th grader in it and it would perhaps be better for all if I kept them together in the back, but did not push. So, when the air masks came down and my students started freaking out --in every row of the plane--, it really gave new meaning to the whole put on your own mask before helping your kids. I did my best to yell directions to my students (pull hard! harder! you have to get the mask down to your face!) in between breaths from my own mask, but was grateful for the assistance of all the other passengers, too. Funnily --or not so much--, when we boarded the new aircraft, they ASKED ME to board all my kids first and keep them together in the back!
synergistic, dc2, nsx and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:51 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Had a flight once where turbulence was so bad overhead bins were popping open and bags were flying.

They sent an email with a $50 voucher.

I was having a great time knowing what these place can handle but apparently others that had more to live for were thinking we were going to die.

While not typical, these planes are 100% capable and designed to fly on one engine...Don't really like the fact that they are even making it seem like the passengers were even affected.
joshua362, Kevin AA, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Had a landing into El Paso with likely defective flaps. On final approach, the plane had to swerve side to side to scrub off speed while encountering really heavy turbulence. Overhead bins popped open, people screamed, and women next to me said "we are going to die!"
I was cool as a cucumber and assured her it was going to be okay. In 65 years of flying, it was one of the most memorable experiences (there have been others). We landed safely and taxied to the gate. People who had connecting flights were cancelling them. I was still okay.
Until.....I went to the mens room and, while standing at the urinal, my legs almost gave out from under me.

No vouchers. No letters. Nada. And this was in Herb's era!

A pilot friend had the same delayed reaction when he had a mechanical failure on takeoff of his private plane, causing him to land in a muddy field. He and his wife escaped with minor bruises. His legs buckled as he walked away from the wreck. The FAA issued an AD based on his crash.
m907 and Kevin AA like this.

Last edited by dlaue; Oct 19, 2021 at 10:06 am
Old Oct 19, 2021, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAX62
Had a flight once where turbulence was so bad overhead bins were popping open and bags were flying.

They sent an email with a $50 voucher.

I was having a great time knowing what these place can handle but apparently others that had more to live for were thinking we were going to die.

While not typical, these planes are 100% capable and designed to fly on one engine...Don't really like the fact that they are even making it seem like the passengers were even affected.
Part of the apology they sent (and presumably the reason for the $100) was that upon landing fire engines met us and that might have "been alarming" to some. And we also sat for about 30 min off to the side to make sure the brakes had cooled sufficiently.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by pkerr
fire engines met us and that might have "been alarming" to some.
The world is so soft that we are now compensating people for seeing a fire engine? I'm 50 and am pretty sure by the time I reach anything close to a normal life expectancy I'll be more than ready to get out of here.
Kevin AA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.