Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest crew shortage / operational meltdown 10/9/21 thru ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest crew shortage / operational meltdown 10/9/21 thru ??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: SWA
Flew out of Denver yesterday and the problem didnt seem to be aircrew...was baggage handlers from what we could tell, Plane boarded on time with through crew but sat at the gate for 2 hours waiting for bags to be loaded. Looking on the ramp there were full baggage carts parked everywhere and only 1 or two ground crew working bags.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by ulmguy
Difference in policies... the legacies will rebook you on other airlines at their discretion.
At their discretion is the key word. I suppose that if you have significant status, it might happen. American has never been willing to do so for me.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:23 pm

From FlightAware, it looks like WN has canceled more than a quarter of their MDW schedule tomorrow. It's supposed to be windy, but nothing else weather-wise. Any thoughts on what's going on there?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 4:26 am

Any idea of what to expect for a CMH to MCO flight on 1/23? I'm hoping that it won't be canceled (obviously).
Old Jan 5, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by chessman
from flightaware, it looks like wn has canceled more than a quarter of their mdw schedule tomorrow....any thoughts on what's going on there?
FLFlyer83's airliners.net post states

"per acquaintances at wn, wn escaped the omicron crunch during the holidays, but it appears it has hit them with vengeance with multiple departments across the company having trouble staffing enough employees to keep operations going… and the winter storm compounded the issues.

644 flights cancelled yesterday, 403 cancelled today, 347 already cancelled for tomorrow… again, some due to the winter storm, but many due to omicron staffing issues per sources at the airline."
chessman and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by Lakee911
Any idea of what to expect for a CMH to MCO flight on 1/23? I'm hoping that it won't be canceled (obviously).
It's too far in the future to even make an informed guess.
If you absolutely have to get to Orlando, book a fully refundable fare on another airline for your date of travel. Use this as a backup.
Lakee911 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, National Executive, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I've noticed an odd issue with the Southwest website, and I wonder if its a typical IT failure or something a little more deceitful. I was attempting to check flight status from flights from SDF to both DAL and MDW today. Southwest has one non-stop scheduled on both of those routes today, and both of the non-stops are cancelled per FlightAware. However, when you search those routes on Southwest.com Flight Status without using a flight number, they do not appear in the flight options. If you search the route with a flight number they do show up as cancelled. Is Southwest attempting to hide the scale of the cancellations from their customers?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:47 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
I'm checking into this -

Its likely that they are two different back-end "calls".
The one that lists all flights, apparently is not including canceled flights, but when you search for that specific flight, then the results are returned.

If you do a flight search (as if you were going to book), those flights also don't show up - so it looks like they were removed from the schedule when they were canceled. However the data is there when you search by flight number.

When you search flight status, without a flight number, the system is looking for the scheduled flights - then once you have the list, you click on "view flight status" to get the status details (with the flight number included).

In another example, the connection from SDF to DAL (285/1900) at 7:35AM, it shows up in the list, and then the details show that both flights were canceled.
Also, if you just look at the SDF -BWI portion of that flight (285), it shows up in the list, AND, it shows as canceled in the details.

I believe there are different ways to cancel flights, it may be based on when the flight is canceled, and how the passengers will be re-accomodated.
It looks like, in some cases the flight is removed from the schedule completely, and in some cases it is not.
I don't work in that area, so I don't' have a definitive answer just yet.

Will post back here when I now more (it may take some time for me to get an answer back, those teams are somewhat busy right now)
nsx, Daze, expert7700 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by LBBflyer
I've noticed an odd issue with the Southwest website, and I wonder if its a typical IT failure or something a little more deceitful. I was attempting to check flight status from flights from SDF to both DAL and MDW today. Southwest has one non-stop scheduled on both of those routes today, and both of the non-stops are cancelled per FlightAware. However, when you search those routes on Southwest.com Flight Status without using a flight number, they do not appear in the flight options. If you search the route with a flight number they do show up as cancelled. Is Southwest attempting to hide the scale of the cancellations from their customers?
Of course it is related to IT.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
My flight took off 4 minutes late from Palm Beach a few days ago.
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Blitzjb
My flight took off 4 minutes late from Palm Beach a few days ago.
How much compensation did you ask for?
kennycrudup and m907 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Automatic companion pass and free starbucks for a year.
jjbiv, dlaue, beachmouse and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Blitzjb
Automatic companion pass and free starbucks for a year.
Hold out for a lifetime pass to the Southwest lounges.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 6:23 pm

Did a NYE Cruise out of Miami and had used RR points to get me back to SAN via HOU on 1/4. Checked in on 1/3, no problem. Got a flight reminder 1/4, no problem.

Just as we were getting kicked off the ship's cabin, I took one last look at the app and saw that the flight had been cancelled. Just a bit after that, the ship turned off their wi-fi and I was afraid to use my normal SIM for fear of hitting the ship's cell tower, which can be big $$$. Ending up trying to figure out things while standing outside of the port's gates. Finally got a hotel near the airport and flew out the next day on SW.

SW did send me a couple of $250 vouchers that expire in a year, but I doubt I will use them before they expire. I asked them about some form of compensation, as I'm out $300-$400, plus the GF had to take an extra day off from work. So far, haven't heard back.

One final irritation, SW was running 2 baggage carousels. One had 1 flight on it and the other (ours) had 4 flights. Even though we got in before 3 of the 4 flights, they put us last in line which resulted in about a 45 minute baggage delay. The agent on the PA even said that they were thinking about moving our baggage to the other mostly empty carousel, but for whatever weird reason, they didn't. So everyone just stood around irritated, with no social distancing. I later got ill and also later got a covid exposure notification. Took the PCR test yesterday, hopefully it comes back negative.

Hopefully they'll offer a bit more than the vouchers. We'll see.

Last edited by Stockjock; Jan 10, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Looks like they are doing some preemptive cancellations.

My Friday nonstop from LGA to DEN was cancelled 3 days out. Not happy that it happened, but it's better that it was a few days out. We're all rebooked. Fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.