Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Business Select Same Day Flight change question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2021, 9:23 am
Original Poster

How does the Business Select same day flight change for free work? If you get to the airport and request to be moved to another flight, Do you still get A1-A15 on the new flight?

Thanks,

Jason
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:08 am

If there's still one available. You can buy a BS ticket within T-24 and still get an A 1-15 boarding postion.
jep8821 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, National Exec, WN A+
Originally Posted by jep8821
How does the Business Select same day flight change for free work? If you get to the airport and request to be moved to another flight, Do you still get A1-A15 on the new flight?
Thanks,
Jason
No, that is how it used to work but not anymore, just experienced this myself. Had BS flight but moved it to a earlier flight and since the earlier flight BS was more $ when they moved me to the new flight it was for WGA fair. Very disappointed in this change, devalues getting BS.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:23 pm

Yes, if BS still available. I do this all the time, including a couple of times within the past week. Original and new fares weren’t a consideration when GA made the changes.
jep8821 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:14 pm

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Subby
No, that is how it used to work but not anymore, just experienced this myself. Had BS flight but moved it to a earlier flight and since the earlier flight BS was more $ when they moved me to the new flight it was for WGA fair. Very disappointed in this change, devalues getting BS.
Are you sure it wasn't because the BS fares were no longer available for the earlier flight?
If A1-15 are gone, then you can't move the BS fare over on confirmed standby. I've run into this before.

I have also recently run into issues where they are increasing the fares closer to the flight time, and then wanted me to pay the fare difference if I did it through customer service (On a BS Fare). Pre pandemic this NEVER happened to me. But if I go to the airport, they will make the BS flight change as long as there is a seat available.
jep8821 and screeton like this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by MacGuruTX
If A1-15 are gone, then you can't move the BS fare over on confirmed standby. I've run into this before.
This is incorrect. The fare can be moved over if you so choose so that you receive the points normally earned by a BS fare (often the case if a pax is traveling on OPM). You just won’t have an A 1-15 BP. As noted earlier, the change must be made at the airport.
steved5480 and jep8821 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 12:53 pm

Thanks for the correction. I agree with you. Somehow typed CANT, instead of CAN. I have done this multiple times to keep my points earnings, although I make a point of telling the gate agent to please do that.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:39 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Are you sure it wasn't because the BS fares were no longer available for the earlier flight?

I have also recently run into issues where they are increasing the fares closer to the flight time, and then wanted me to pay the fare difference if I did it through customer service (On a BS Fare). Pre pandemic this NEVER happened to me. But if I go to the airport, they will make the BS flight change as long as there is a seat available.
Originally Posted by smmrfld
This is incorrect. The fare can be moved over if you so choose so that you receive the points normally earned by a BS fare (often the case if a pax is traveling on OPM). You just won’t have an A 1-15 BP. As noted earlier, the change must be made at the airport.
So it is possible to SDC a BS fare via customer service (phone rep)?

That would of course, be a lot more convenient than gambling at the airport (and discovering the desired flight is full).
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
So it is possible to SDC a BS fare via customer service (phone rep)?

That would of course, be a lot more convenient than gambling at the airport (and discovering the desired flight is full).
As noted above, yes it’s possible via phone but pax is responsible for any fare difference.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:55 am

It is possible to do over the phone under the following conditions
1) If there are BS seats available on the flight you are looking for (I'm going to add and the flight is not under airport control, I think. I have been burned before because I failed to make a change that morning when I anticipated ending early and waited till it was too close to my flight)

2) You may have to pay a fare change though. It was my year's past experience that the BS fares were essentially the max cost for the city pair, and when I bought one, I could easily change without an issue. SW seems to be more aggressive on their fares recently with dynamic pricing as the flight is selling. So if I buy a BS fair a month ahead of time, then it could easily be a couple of hundreds dollars more expensive the week of the flight when I'm trying to change. Or I was always buying them so close to the flight initially, that I didn't realize they were changing, since I used to not being booking travel a month ahead of time.

3) If the BS fares are sold out, you can change to an Anytime fare typically, but lose your BS classification for earnings. Sometimes this may be preferred to guarantee a seat, versus rolling the dice at the airport. I am doing a lot of flying in/out of Chicago for the last year, and keep getting caught by seats avail in the morning when I look online, but then during the day the seats disappear due to multiple connecting flight changes through MDW to my final destination of LAS. (At least I think this is what is occurring)

4) the only way to keep your BS earnings if the BS is sold out, is to do the change at the airport. The GA have some way to put you on the other flight without changing your fare class. You then board at the end of the A group. Cust Service on the phone has told me they are NOT able to do this. The practice of SW selling A1-15 boarding pass numbers at the gate, has also really cut into my ability to change flights with a BS and keep a 1-15 boarding number.
jep8821 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by smmrfld
As noted above, yes it’s possible via phone but pax is responsible for any fare difference.
It is possible to do over the phone under the following conditions
1) If there are BS seats available on the flight you are looking for (I'm going to add and the flight is not under airport control, I think. I have been burned before because I failed to make a change that morning when I anticipated ending early and waited till it was too close to my flight)

2) You may have to pay a fare change though. It was my year's past experience that the BS fares were essentially the max cost for the city pair, and when I bought one, I could easily change without an issue. SW seems to be more aggressive on their fares recently with dynamic pricing as the flight is selling. So if I buy a BS fair a month ahead of time, then it could easily be a couple of hundreds dollars more expensive the week of the flight when I'm trying to change. Or I was always buying them so close to the flight initially, that I didn't realize they were changing, since I used to not being booking travel a month ahead of time.

3) If the BS fares are sold out, you can change to an Anytime fare typically, but lose your BS classification for earnings. Sometimes this may be preferred to guarantee a seat, versus rolling the dice at the airport. I am doing a lot of flying in/out of Chicago for the last year, and keep getting caught by seats avail in the morning when I look online, but then during the day the seats disappear due to multiple connecting flight changes through MDW to my final destination of LAS. (At least I think this is what is occurring)

4) the only way to keep your BS earnings if the BS is sold out, is to do the change at the airport. The GA have some way to put you on the other flight without changing your fare class. You then board at the end of the A group. Cust Service on the phone has told me they are NOT able to do this. The practice of SW selling A1-15 boarding pass numbers at the gate, has also really cut into my ability to change flights with a BS and keep a 1-15 boarding number.
Thanks for the responses!

In that changing over the phone probably requires an upfare, and/or might result in a change of fare type/class, it sounds like an SDC-over-the-phone isn't really an SDC at all, at least not in the typical sense. Seems like the only way to do a "genuine" SDC is at the airport, and a day-of change by phone is no different than a "regular" change which would require a fare difference anyways.

Of course, it'd be nicer to have a confirmed change before heading to the airport.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Has this info changed now that there is online Same Dat Confirmed changes for Business Select? Specifically -
- Will A1-15 still be given with a SDC change (if available)?
- If not available, what boarding position do you get? Next available?
- Are SDC changes in Business Select limited to availability of that fare bucket on the flight, rather than "any open seat"?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by spgaston
Has this info changed now that there is online Same Dat Confirmed changes for Business Select? Specifically -
- Will A1-15 still be given with a SDC change (if available)?
- If not available, what boarding position do you get? Next available?
- Are SDC changes in Business Select limited to availability of that fare bucket on the flight, rather than "any open seat"?
Found some good info here: https://www.southwest.com/airfare-ty...standby-change

- Looks like you change to an available seat in any of the available fare buckets of your choice when your original fare was BS. So, if you SDC to BS, you get the next available A1-15. Or, you can SDC to a cheaper bucket (if available) and get a refund for the fare difference

- If you SDC to a cheaper fare bucket, you get the next B/C position

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.