Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

A fun vacation turned into craziness(Long post)

Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

So I just got back not too long ago from a flight for a "Just for fun Vacation" on Southwest and what an ordeal that was. Here is what happened:

Flight 1 PDX - LAS: I booked this flight and it was supposed to take off at 8:40 PM, earlier in the day it said on time and was feeling pretty good about it. Once it hit 3 hours before the flight though things started to change as then it got bumped to 9:29 PM then 10:20 PM, and finally 11 PM. The nice part the flight was not canceled but was 2+ hours delayed supposedly due to an aircraft swap somewhere before PDX so instead of arriving in Vegas at 10:50 PM I got to Vegas at 1:01 AM. The best part: it was still an -800 series and I got to keep my A52 boarding position so not too bad.

One tip: If your flying Southwest out of PDX, most food and shops in Concourse E close at 5 PM so if you arrive for a flight after 5 most likely nothing will be open so bring a TSA Approved snack or eat before hand.

Flight #2 LAS - PDX: Now this flight was just nuts. So I wake up in the morning and see that all is well with my flight going back. Original flight was to be: LAS - PHX - PDX with Boarding position B5 and B17, well about 2 hours before my flight I get a notification that my flight will be slightly delayed going to PHX and was like ok that's not bad I'll still arrive in time, then 1 hour before my original flight I get a text saying I have now been rebooked on another flight that is LAS - PDX Direct and checked the app and sure enough a new flight and one that is delayed till 9:19 PM instead of 8:45 PM. The worst part is that not only was I switched to this new flight but Southwest threw me to the back of the boarding process with a new updated C47 position so I went from B5 and B17 on my original flight to C47 on my new flight which as many know guaranteed me a middle or aisle seat only. So then we board and get further delayed because the "bags weren't loaded yet" and so instead of 8:45 PM takeoff our 2 delay's had us take off at 10:27 PM and get to Portland at 12:22 AM Originally supposed to be around 11:01 PM - 11:29 PM. The original flight was -800 to -800 but my new flight was on a Max8.

Now seeing as this happened I do have flights coming up which are PDX - OAK - BUR and then BUR - PHX on the way down and on the way up I did PHX - BUR then BUR - PHX - PDX as both were two different one ways to create my own 2 stop flights and extend flight time since I love to fly and like aviation but seeing as Southwest is messing with flight schedule's I am defiantly going to cancel all flights and rebook as follows: PDX - SMF - PHX and then a 2 stop on the way home PHX - COS - DEN - PDX.

Sorry for the long post but I did at least have fun in Vegas though.

Last edited by Vicpdx121; Jul 24, 2021 at 3:17 pm
Old Jul 24, 2021, 4:55 pm

WN @ LAS has been a disaster lately, we were delayed last month for hours and then cancelled, luckily we were the first in line and grabbed the last 2 seats out of LAS to MSP the next day..........if not we would have been stranded\ed for days

If flying out of LAS I suggest an early flight as it gives you more options to actually get to you destination vs a flight like ours that was scheduled to depart around 4pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.