Search

Sameday Standby - Midway/O’Hare

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Sameday Standby - Midway/O’Hare

Hey All,

I am currently A-List on Southwest, and this Friday (18JUN) I’ll be flying BNA-ORD. Has anyone tried standing by and switching between MDW and ORD or are they completely different cities in the eyes of the reservations system where it will block me from doing such a move?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GreatPlainsFlyer
Hey All,

I am currently A-List on Southwest, and this Friday (18JUN) I’ll be flying BNA-ORD. Has anyone tried standing by and switching between MDW and ORD or are they completely different cities in the eyes of the reservations system where it will block me from doing such a move?
MDW and ORD are considered co-terminals by airlines, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can standby for a different one than you are booked on. Most airlines specifically prohibit same-day standby to a co-terminal and only allow you to standby to original airport (DL has an unpublished benefit that allows it only for their Diamond Medallions). WN doesn't specifically address co-terminals in their standby policy.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
It can also easily take an hour or hour and a half to get from ORD to MDW one way. So this would not work well for standby logistically.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MacGuruTX
It can also easily take an hour or hour and a half to get from ORD to MDW one way. So this would not work well for standby logistically.
OP is arriving in Chicago, not departing from it.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ulmguy
OP is arriving in Chicago, not departing from it.
DOH! that's what I get for multitasking and not paying close enough attention.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by MacGuruTX
DOH! that's what I get for multitasking and not paying close enough attention.
You are not the only one - I originally read it as standby FROM Chicago.... reading is not always good when not awake.... LOL!
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:39 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Yes, co-terminals are allowed for the A-list same day standby benefits! and, Yes MDW and ORD are co-terminals.

Keep in mind that the benefit applies to flights earlier than your scheduled flight.

From: https://www.southwest.com/faq/rapid-...K=SITESEARCH/7

"This benefit will be provided for A-List and A-List Preferred Members traveling prior to the original scheduled departure, between the same city pairs, on the original date of travel, where a seat is available."
Tanic, AsiaTraveler and m907 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by SWAVictor
Keep in mind that the benefit applies to flights earlier than your scheduled flight.

From: https://www.southwest.com/faq/rapid-...K=SITESEARCH/7

"This benefit will be provided for A-List and A-List Preferred Members traveling prior to the original scheduled departure, between the same city pairs, on the original date of travel, where a seat is available."
So, with this explanation, there is so much more flexibility in booking last flight of the day, than one that departs early morning. Good to know.

Jiburi
Old Jun 18, 2021, 9:56 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Originally Posted by jiburi
So, with this explanation, there is so much more flexibility in booking last flight of the day, than one that departs early morning. Good to know.

Jiburi
Yes, as long as you are able and willing to accept that last flight of the day should flights be full and standby not successful!
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:47 am

As flights fill up again, keep in mind the odds of getting a non-ideal boarding position also increase when standing by for an earlier flight. You might make the earlier flight but get stuck in a middle seat in the back of the bus.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jjbiv
As flights fill up again, keep in mind the odds of getting a non-ideal boarding position also increase when standing by for an earlier flight. You might make the earlier flight but get stuck in a middle seat in the back of the bus.
But if your A-List or A-List Preferred, you get the ability to board at the end of the A’s regardless of if your BP says B/C.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:30 am

But if your A-List or A-List Preferred, you get the ability to board at the end of the A’s regardless of if your BP says B/C.
Doh! Thank you!
jiburi likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In my experience, it's been 20+ years since I had an airline allow me to proactively/voluntarily standby for a co-terminal. I did it on US Airways as a Gold member ex-MCI a couple times. It always felt like a bit of a favor...certainly not a commonly-published thing even then.

Once IRROPS are in play, then I've done it a few times.

Does Southwest typically clear the upgrade list before the B's are boarding? In cases where the total load is close to 100%, I would think you might not get your BP until the C's are boarded.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by pinniped
Does Southwest typically clear the upgrade list before the B's are boarding? In cases where the total load is close to 100%, I would think you might not get your BP until the C's are boarded.
I don't think typically is an appropriate word here. They will clear the standby list when they feel it is safe to do so. I have been given a boarding pass from an hour before the flight, up to the GA going aboard after everyone has boarded to see if there actually is an empty seat.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:55 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SWAVictor
Yes, co-terminals are allowed for the A-list same day standby benefits!
I was told differently at the airport at least twice within the last two years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.