Boarding Range

Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Boarding Range

I was just wondering if any other here have experienced passengers who seem to believe within a range, it doesn't matter where one is in the line, and thus opt to be the first in that group, when others should likely be ahead.

As an example:
When I used to get a boarding position, let's say B12, I'd stand where in 11-15, but try my best to be the second followed by whoever was B11. But I'd see someone with B15 boarding would choose to stand in the far front of me think that within a range, it's permissible. Is that typical or common from your experiences?
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Typically people are pretty good about lining up in numerical order, but if you feel that someone is in the wrong position, you can nicely ask "I am A31; what number are you?", and they will take their appropriate place. In the big scheme of things, though, it does not really make much of a difference whether n or n+2 people are ahead of you.
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:32 pm

Programs: WN A&cp, SPGplat
Don't forget that some people "grew up" at airports where WN shares the gate, so there's just the temporary 1-30 flip sign at the front, rather than the intermediate markers that we have where WN owns the gate. So I don't get mad; maybe just frustrated because of the effort or $$ I expended to get the better position.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I speak up; if I am B12 and I see B15 is trying to stand in front of me, I say something.

I grew up in a family where our mother let everyone and anyone walk all over us, so I don't put up with it any more.
beyondhere likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
I have more important things to worry about or fight over.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:36 am

I was once in line behind the local Archbishop. I showed him my boarding pass and asked what number he was. He showed me his. It was one behind me. He said "It doesn't matter" and boarded ahead of me. On that flight he got the last exit row aisle seat.

Sometimes it does matter.
Justjax90, jjbiv and jiminycricket like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I always display my boarding number while in line, but I do cover my name. This seems to deter line jumpers just a bit.
m907 and jiminycricket like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:49 am

Yeah, if the person(s) ahead of me should be behind me, I don't wait/expect for them to move, I move ahead of them, easy
NoStressHere and screeton like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
It can be handled in a proactive, polite manner. Many of the people out of line are newbies who have not flown often and do not understand the complex math required to count from 1 to 60 while also correlating it to the alphabet A-B-C and also correlating geographically to a large silver pole with numerals on the pole. Regular flyers should be happy to assist in their understanding.... you are A-41? Your position is on the other side of the pole and back about 10 people, etc. I do the reverse also... some weeks back I had an elderly lady standing next to me when I was A-58. When I asked her number, she was something like A-25, but somewhat clueless and obviously nervous about the entire boarding process. I told her she had a much better number than mine and helped get her in the right place. She was most appreciative and I felt that I had done my "good deed" for the day (or perhaps the month, LOL). For those who are deliberately out of line because they want to cut ahead of someone, as the OP is suggesting, they particularly need assistance to be moved into the proper location. Just consider yourself a "junior" gate agent.
Daze likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Yeah, if the person(s) ahead of me should be behind me, I don't wait/expect for them to move, I move ahead of them, easy
In principle, I agree but typically, it is too tight if B10 is there- to just move ahead without asking B15 the boarding number directly, and expecting he or she will agree. It becomes a pesky task on my part but sometimes if the person seems approachable, I ask. I don't know how definite Southwest is with boarding number also, and if many passengers interpret that it's a range situation. I sometimes take the assumption that the fellow is legitimately in front of me, to only find out when the scan is visible that the fellow was supposed to be after me.
screeton likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
In my house experience a lot of flyers think the groups of five are range and it seems the person at the bottom of that range always feels that way.

While I don't personally insist on straight numeric others do and I will show my number when asked. Usually someone in the group starts that discussion and then the sub group rearranges once everyone starts comparing.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:19 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I paid a large "A" upgrade position for a coast to coast and watched many younger college age folks just flash their lower numbers which seemed to be photoshopped on spare boarding passes.

I just skip WN alltogether to avoid this trick and never go back for long hauls
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:41 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I paid a large "A" upgrade position for a coast to coast and watched many younger college age folks just flash their lower numbers which seemed to be photoshopped on spare boarding passes. I just skip WN alltogether to avoid this trick and never go back for long hauls
Except that when the Ops Agent scans the photoshopped boarding pass the computer will go Bzzzzzt because the position is out of range and the scammers will be sent away in shame.
screeton likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:04 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by pitflyer
In my house experience a lot of flyers think the groups of five are range and it seems the person at the bottom of that range always feels that way.

While I don't personally insist on straight numeric others do and I will show my number when asked. Usually someone in the group starts that discussion and then the sub group rearranges once everyone starts comparing.
Considering how crammed all of the gate areas are, I can't see any value in pushing everyone and their carry-ons out of my way so that I can get on the plane two people sooner. If someone in my subgroup wants to take their spot in front of me, I let them squeeze by. However, I can't find the value in being B-12 vs B-14. The plane all gets there at the same time. Exit rows don't matter to me either since I am usually traveling with kids.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by screeton
It can be handled in a proactive, polite manner. Many of the people out of line are newbies who have not flown often and do not understand the complex math required to count from 1 to 60 while also correlating it to the alphabet A-B-C and also correlating geographically to a large silver pole with numerals on the pole. Regular flyers should be happy to assist in their understanding.... you are A-41? Your position is on the other side of the pole and back about 10 people, etc. I do the reverse also... some weeks back I had an elderly lady standing next to me when I was A-58. When I asked her number, she was something like A-25, but somewhat clueless and obviously nervous about the entire boarding process. I told her she had a much better number than mine and helped get her in the right place. She was most appreciative and I felt that I had done my "good deed" for the day (or perhaps the month, LOL). For those who are deliberately out of line because they want to cut ahead of someone, as the OP is suggesting, they particularly need assistance to be moved into the proper location. Just consider yourself a "junior" gate agent.
I'll never understand the disdain frequent flyers have for infrequent flyers. As long as they're not breaking rules or misbehaving, why sneer?
joshua362, dlaue and writerguyfl like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.