Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

50x points on $100 purchases on Chase Southwest credit card - June 11th only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50x points on $100 purchases on Chase Southwest credit card - June 11th only

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
What was the email/subject title on the targeted email?

That will help some of us search for it. I get so many WN emails, I could have missed it.
It comes from Chase, to an email I use for the CC, not my RR email:

Chase Card Services [[email protected]]

Joshua, Earn 50x points per $1 on Southwest® purchases on June 11, 2021 with your Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Card .

Last edited by joshua362; Jun 8, 2021 at 8:34 am
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Here is what I do not understand.

It does not look like you have to "activate" the promotion at all. So, lots of people will pick up 5,000 points due to normal spending and not know why they are getting it. Sees rather silly to me.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by expert7700
5000 points?

so this is like being a lucky 'winner' of the daily anniversary contest. 100 times over.

​​​​​
Except for the fact the contest costs nothing and this costs $100.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by voodoogirl
Will the gift card trigger the $75 Southwest Chase credit for the year? I will find out Friday.
That would be excellent!

Here is what I do not understand.

It does not look like you have to "activate" the promotion at all. So, lots of people will pick up 5,000 points due to normal spending and not know why they are getting it. Sees rather silly to me.
Well, it's only for Southwest purchases, right? Not any purchase. On any given day, how many SW card holders are making Southwest-related purchases? It'd be different if this was 50x on any purchase.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:33 pm
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Originally Posted by geo979
Note the wording below in that link. It seems to imply that it only allies to those receiving the offer...i.e. it is targeted.

This bonus offer is non-transferable and applies only to the account of the primary Cardmember referenced in this offer.

I have verified, despite the language in the T&Cs, its not targeted, other than the obvious necessity of being a cardholder
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by SWAVictor
I have verified, despite the language in the T&Cs, its not targeted, other than the obvious necessity of being a cardholder
So, if not targeted and no registration needed - LOTS and LOTS of people are going to get a nice bonus for no good reason. What is up with that?
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Needed to book a flight anyway was going to book today, holding out until Friday now.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
So, if not targeted and no registration needed - LOTS and LOTS of people are going to get a nice bonus for no good reason. What is up with that?
IF they just happened to make a WN purchase next Friday using a Chase RR Visa card, then yeah. Can't be that many pax who stumble over this one day promo unknowingly.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
What are the expiration rules for gift cards? I do almost all of my swa flight purchases on points, so a card purchase as part of this promotion would be applied only to security fees. Can gift cards be thus used for anyone's security fee, or only the original purchaser?
Old Jun 8, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mdurette
Yep - $100 gift card in my future. Use points, but will certainly use it for all my $5.60 charges for flights!
Easy 5000 points.
Let's say you buy a $100 gift card and use it for a reward trip and just charge the $5.60 fee to the gift card. What happens when you later cancel the flight and request a refund? Does it go back on the gift card?
Old Jun 8, 2021, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Except for the fact the contest costs nothing and this costs $100.
True - you do have to spend $100. But, you get a nice bonus back and you can always use that "spend" to fly on SW - especially if the gift card thing works.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by screeton
What are the expiration rules for gift cards? I do almost all of my swa flight purchases on points, so a card purchase as part of this promotion would be applied only to security fees. Can gift cards be thus used for anyone's security fee, or only the original purchaser?
Southwest gift cards don't expire.

Funds can be used toward a ticket for anyone, not tied to purchaser.
screeton likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by geo979
Let's say you buy a $100 gift card and use it for a reward trip and just charge the $5.60 fee to the gift card. What happens when you later cancel the flight and request a refund? Does it go back on the gift card?
Funds never go back to a gift card.
Gift cards are considered a non-refundable form of payment, and when you apply a non-refundable form of payment to a refundable fare (or fees) it makes the ticket non-refundable.
The $5.60 would become travel funds, tied to that passenger, and with the normal travel funds expiration policy.
screeton likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Omnivore
Needed to book a flight anyway was going to book today, holding out until Friday now.
And if the flight you are considering magically goes up in cost on Friday, you can always get the gift card and book it when it goes back down.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:23 pm

Do purchases made through the Southwest shopping portal qualify for the 50x RR points, if paid with the Southwest RR credit card? If that type of purchase qualifies, there’s always the risk of missing out on the extra points, if a merchant’s delay causes the charge to post after the June 11 date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.