Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Proper etiquette when passenger uses your seat back as a footrest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2021, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport

I was on a WN flight from GEG to DEN over the weekend. After takeoff, I kept getting a sensation in my back like the passenger behind me was pressing their foot against the back of my chair. My seat was in the full upright position (I usually don’t recline my seat out of consideration for the passenger behind me). I normally wouldn’t make an issue of something like this, but I was in an auto accident last week, so what I was feeling was particularly uncomfortable. So, once the seatbelt sign was off, I turned around and politely asked the guy behind me if by any chance he might be using my seat as a foot rest. He said no. A few minutes later, I was back to feeling the same thing again. I’d like to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just a tall guy who may not have realized what he was doing, but I am curious what the proper etiquette is for handling a situation like this, since it’s not the first time it’s happened to me on a flight.

Last edited by jsnearline; May 25, 2021 at 8:36 pm Reason: Updated title
Old May 25, 2021, 9:34 pm

That's what you get for not reclining your seat, lol
Old May 25, 2021, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
That's what you get for not reclining your seat, lol
I suppose I could have reclined my seat as far back as it would go once it was clear he wasn’t going to stop.

it’s amazing how much you can feel through the seat when someone does that. It honestly felt like the guy was digging his shoe into my back,
Old May 25, 2021, 10:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Really tall people have negative knee room in the 143-seat cabins. This did not happen with 137 seats. I will guess that he was crossing his legs, which projects one knee forward into the center of the seat.
Old May 25, 2021, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guy was a complete tool. He could have worked with you, no matter how tall he is.
Old May 25, 2021, 10:47 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Could be just his knees against the seat. Not much can do done in that situation except maybe ask to switch seats with him
dane1 likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsnearline

it’s amazing how much you can feel through the seat when someone does that. It honestly felt like the guy was digging his shoe into my back,
unless the guy is a contortionist this can not be done in a coach seat.
More likely someone with long legs suffering behind you with knees pressed against your seat and your annoyance is completely misdirected..
dane1, bchandler02 and polinka like this.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I will go with knees as well.
Old May 26, 2021, 9:43 am
Original Poster

So if someone is jamming their knee into my back. Is there anything I can really do? Was it bad form for me to say something to the guy behind me?

I’m just glad that It was a relatively short flight. With the person in front of me fully reclined and the one behind me pressing into my back, it was not the most comfortable flight.

Last edited by jsnearline; May 26, 2021 at 9:52 am
Old May 26, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
So if someone is jamming their knee into my back. Is there anything I can really do?
If the guy doesn't fit, he doesn't fit.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:03 am

So if someone is jamming their knee into my back. Is there anything I can really do?
Change seats if flight wasn't full
Old May 26, 2021, 11:20 am

As an alternate theory, I have noticed that thick, rigid items items placed in the seatback (water bottles, large hardback books, metal toys, etc.) have the same sensation of knees to the person in front. I discovered this on a a flight when it felt like someone was kneeing me but it was a child (who wasn't kicking) and there was some toy that had been placed in the seatback pocket. Then, everytime the seatback was touched it would poke into me. So it could be that he honestly wasn't kneeing you but he didn't make the connection that the feeling was coming from whatever he had placed in there.
Old May 26, 2021, 12:01 pm

property etiquette is a swift roundhouse kick to the face

unfortunately, I don't think there's enough clearance to execute that properly in the 143-seat cabins.
bozacksmith likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 12:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The Evolve seats are thinner than the old seats we loved. That can't help.
screeton likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by azepine00
unless the guy is a contortionist this can not be done in a coach seat.
More likely someone with long legs suffering behind you with knees pressed against your seat and your annoyance is completely misdirected..
I disagree. Just like the manspreaders who claim their legs are too long to fit in their seat without taking half of your leg room as well.

Spend the cash to buy an extra legroom or exit row seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.