Wiki Posts
Search

Miracle Flights are Back!

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2021, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Miracle Flights are Back!

Many wheel chairs departing - only a few when arriving. Miracle!!!!
joshua362, hhdl and screeton like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 5:45 pm

Do some passengers use wheelchairs when they don't need them? Certainly.

That said, it's worth noting that the departure procedures tend take much longer to complete when compared to when you arrive at your destination.

Some passengers might not be able to stand in line to check-in, stand in line to go through security, walk to their gate, and then stand until boarding starts (if the gate area is crowded). Anyone that has occasional mobility issues will probably err on the side of caution simply because there are more "what ifs" with which to contend.

When you arrive at your destination airport, there's no standing in line or waiting (unless you checked bags). Passengers can often go directly from the plane to the curb without stopping.
nsx, ursine1, m907 and 6 others like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Some poor lady at BWI C13 today was waiting for about 25 minutes for someone to show up with a wheelchair (I know it's contract employees, not WN employees), so I understand needing them to help get on the aircraft but not bothering once you get to your destination.
Old May 19, 2021, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Do some passengers use wheelchairs when they don't need them? Certainly.

That said, it's worth noting that the departure procedures tend take much longer to complete when compared to when you arrive at your destination.

Some passengers might not be able to stand in line to check-in, stand in line to go through security, walk to their gate, and then stand until boarding starts (if the gate area is crowded). Anyone that has occasional mobility issues will probably err on the side of caution simply because there are more "what ifs" with which to contend.

When you arrive at your destination airport, there's no standing in line or waiting (unless you checked bags). Passengers can often go directly from the plane to the curb without stopping.
Geez - yeah, when you mention it that way I’d totally opt for the wheelchair option.

Not being sarcastic at all.

I’m for all intents and purposes mobile. But I do recall a trip a few years back I took shortly after having thrown out my back. And waiting in all those queues was absolutely miserable. If I had known getting a wheelchair for the departure ordeal was an option (without any official paperwork/placard/justification) — I would’ve totally done it!
Old May 20, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards A+, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Honors, IHG Rewards
PAX

Not sure what is worse - The miracle types or those who cannot follow basic numbering when lining up at the posts. Especially leaving BWI, I've had folks some 20 number lower than me lining up adjacent to me.
Old May 20, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Anywhere on the road
Especially leaving BWI, I've had folks some 20 number lower than me lining up adjacent to me.
Have you seen the Ops Agent turn them away?
Old May 20, 2021, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by AllThePants
Geez - yeah, when you mention it that way I’d totally opt for the wheelchair option.

Not being sarcastic at all.

I’m for all intents and purposes mobile. But I do recall a trip a few years back I took shortly after having thrown out my back. And waiting in all those queues was absolutely miserable. If I had known getting a wheelchair for the departure ordeal was an option (without any official paperwork/placard/justification) — I would’ve totally done it!
Indeed, it's human nature for a reasonably healthy person to forget that all mobility/health issues aren't always visible. I wasn't trying to knock down anyone who didn't immediately think beyond their initial reaction that these people were gaming the system.

I've told this tale before on FlyerTalk. Years ago when I was a much younger lad, an older woman asked me to put her bag in the overhead bin. I declined and someone else immediately helped.

Hours later at the end of the transcontinental flight, the guy sitting next to me began to berate me for not helping out the woman. I let him vent and then gently lift up my shirt to show him the bandages from my recent surgery. Even if I had wanted to risk injury for a stranger, I didn't have the ability to lift my arms above my head at that point. That's why I didn't have any items in the overhead bin.
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by Blitzjb
Many wheel chairs departing - only a few when arriving. Miracle!!!!

Like I said in one of your other threads on this subject..... Blame your fellow New Yorkers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.