Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Fixed 4/30: Additional points deducted for some "free" flight changes 4/26-4/30/21

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fixed 4/30: Additional points deducted for some "free" flight changes 4/26-4/30/21

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: HHSilver;SWACompanion;AA;CO
SWA independently "changed" my flights to AUS and from AUS--and made a giant mess of BOTH.

They routed me from CLE thru DENVER outbound, nearly doubling the length of the trip????
and LOST the first leg of my return from AUS to CLE via ORD........fun, right? [only confirmed ORD to CLE. Getting from AUS to ORD was GONE]

So, I went to fix it and found nothing but business prices for outbound. 2 days later, I found Wanna Get Away with reasonable pricing, so I grabbed it, BUT, for the return, the points pricing was now 3X what it was originally, SO IT WAS HARDLY "FREE". I had to take it because of the timing.
#PISSEDOFF
Old May 1, 2021, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by swaluvr
SWA independently "changed" my flights to AUS and from AUS--and made a giant mess of BOTH.

They routed me from CLE thru DENVER outbound, nearly doubling the length of the trip????
and LOST the first leg of my return from AUS to CLE via ORD........fun, right? [only confirmed ORD to CLE. Getting from AUS to ORD was GONE]

So, I went to fix it and found nothing but business prices for outbound. 2 days later, I found Wanna Get Away with reasonable pricing, so I grabbed it, BUT, for the return, the points pricing was now 3X what it was originally, SO IT WAS HARDLY "FREE". I had to take it because of the timing.
#PISSEDOFF
Um... was the system not allowing you free changes, as it should have?

If not, reach out to Customer Relations (your best bet is via direct message on Facebook or Twitter on Monday).

You didn't "have to take" anything at any additional cost -- rerouting should be for free since Southwest changed your flights.
Old May 1, 2021, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by swaluvr

#PISSEDOFF
umm...call them? Schedule changes have been going on since the max has been grounded - this is nothing new.
Old May 1, 2021, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Um... was the system not allowing you free changes, as it should have?

If not, reach out to Customer Relations (your best bet is via direct message on Facebook or Twitter on Monday).

You didn't "have to take" anything at any additional cost -- rerouting should be for free since Southwest changed your flights.

I had a similar issue, free changes are only to flights with WGA fares available...............I called and was told the same.

This last round was the first time I ever had problems changing to the flights I wanted.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:03 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I had a similar issue, free changes are only to flights with WGA fares available...............I called and was told the same.
That's incorrect. Last week a family member's flight was canceled and we changed it to the very last seat on the replacement flight.
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
That's incorrect. Last week a family member's flight was canceled and we changed it to the very last seat on the replacement flight.
Well the agents refused to do it for me and I did HUCA 3 times..............of course my flight wasn't cancelled I was just changed to a different flight.

When I tried to change it myself in the app all the flights without WGA fares were unavailable.

I would post a screenshot but I have a companion associated with my flight and have to remove her to rebook, the flight I'm on is nearly full so I can't risk losing her spot.

Per all 4 agents I'm watching and waiting for a WGA fare to open.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Well the agents refused to do it for me and I did HUCA 3 times..............of course my flight wasn't cancelled I was just changed to a different flight.

When I tried to change it myself in the app all the flights without WGA fares were unavailable.

I would post a screenshot but I have a companion associated with my flight and have to remove her to rebook, the flight I'm on is nearly full so I can't risk losing her spot.

Per all 4 agents I'm watching and waiting for a WGA fare to open.
customer relations line.
or twitter.

but if WGA are unavailable for days in either direction if the flight you want and it us june or july, that is the result of the system temporarily blanking out all WGA seats.... something to do with the schedule changes that are happening behind the scenes. Once they are done, WGA fares come back based on regular availability and revenue management policies.

I had a similar issue where many phone agents told me the free companion tickets were "sold out" on the international flight I was booked on... but that revenue tickets were available for purchase. After mild panic in FT, it was determined by customer relations that a script that should have auto populated a particular fare class letter was not run properly.
​​​
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
customer relations line.
or twitter.

but if WGA are unavailable for days in either direction if the flight you want and it us june or july, that is the result of the system temporarily blanking out all WGA seats.... something to do with the schedule changes that are happening behind the scenes. Once they are done, WGA fares come back based on regular availability and revenue management policies.

I had a similar issue where many phone agents told me the free companion tickets were "sold out" on the international flight I was booked on... but that revenue tickets were available for purchase. After mild panic in FT, it was determined by customer relations that a script that should have auto populated a particular fare class letter was not run properly.
​​​

In my case all the agents confirmed the WGA seats were are sold.

I'm also not sure if we are talking about the same things as I'm pretty sure you can add a companion if ANY seat on the flight is available.
Old May 2, 2021, 6:12 pm

In my case all the agents confirmed the WGA seats were are sold.
Reservations line or Customer Relations? (You need CR. Try a Twitter or Facebook DM on Monday when they open back up.)
flyer4512 likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 9:47 am

I'm still missing my points lost. Should I call Southwest CS at this point?
Old May 3, 2021, 11:02 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Originally Posted by divincenzo
I'm still missing my points lost. Should I call Southwest CS at this point?
Yes, at this point the best resolution is to contact Customer Relations.

All of the cleanup process has been run, so if your reservation/account wasn't updated - there was likely something else going on that caused it to be missed (like the note above about a reservation that had been changed more than once).

I could look at your reservation to see if I could determine why it wasn't updated, but I don't have access to make the necessary corrections for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.