Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

OK to ask potential seat mate whether s/he's vaxed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to ask potential seat mate whether s/he's vaxed?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2021, 3:32 pm

Better to have the upload vaccine card during checkin or after booking to get a DOCS OK message like you get for passport verification. Then you can ask your fellow passengers DOCS OK lol😁
Old May 20, 2021, 6:23 pm

I don't know about other states but Louisiana has an electronic drivers license option called LA Wallet that allows you to keep it in your phone and it's legal for all purposes in Louisiana They have recently added a Vax option you can verify your status in the app. So far TSA won't accept it for clearing security even though there is a code scan option but not a magnetic strip.
Old May 24, 2021, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I don't know about other states but Louisiana has an electronic drivers license option called LA Wallet that allows you to keep it in your phone and it's legal for all purposes in Louisiana They have recently added a Vax option you can verify your status in the app. So far TSA won't accept it for clearing security even though there is a code scan option but not a magnetic strip.
What is the purpose of willingly giving your medical information to the government?
bozacksmith and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by m907
What is the purpose of willingly giving your medical information to the government?
Because they paid to give me the shot? They already had the information.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m907
Unrelated to vaccinations but to the point of giving medical information to the government, if you have an ACA health plan CMS receives your health information for the purpose of risk adjustment.
Old May 24, 2021, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Because they paid to give me the shot? They already had the information.
What is the purpose of putting in the app? A free state like Louisiana is not going to require vaccine passports, so why give the information to their bureaucrats anyway?
Old May 24, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Back to the original question, I wouldn't mind answering but may vary my answer depending on whether I wanted the inquisitor to sit down or move along...
nsx, chrisny2, steved5480 and 1 others like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 5:13 am

Programs: Delta; BA; Marriott; Hilton; Best Western; Emirates
Originally Posted by MarianR
We will be flying Southwest in two weeks and are fully vaccinated. My husband likes the window seat so I end up in the middle. Wondering if there is any protocol about asking whoever takes the aisle seat if they've been vaccinated?
Ask away, but be prepared to be told to mind your own damn business. Or an answer similar to what you would get if you asked questions such as "do you have cooties?"; "when did you last shower?"; "who did you vote for in November?"; "do you have gas?"; "if I give you a dollar will you be my friend?".
sdsearch, bozacksmith and m907 like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: DL
I suspect this person is just demonstratiing what the public will see on a more frequent basis. A friend of mine just attended a function where guests were asked if they were vaxxed, given a colored wrist band and separated according to their status. Not making this up.

For me, I haven't been vaxxed and I don't mind telling someone that. Feel free to move. It's not mandated and I have health reasons I haven't been vaxxed, directed by medical professionals. But that part isn't any of your business. . Has your child been vaxxed for measles? What about you for hepatitis? Where does this end?

Expect it to grow and get more instrusive. Stores, doctor offices etc.

For me, I don't mind a casual conversation and when I flew last month, my seatmate and I discussed our statuses in a friendly conversation. She was vaxxed and felt 100% comfortable sitting next to me.
kennycrudup, m907 and Repooc17 like this.

Last edited by nsx; May 26, 2021 at 1:04 pm
Old May 25, 2021, 5:17 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Don’t talk to strangers

If you are concerned about being exposed unnecessarily to COVID on a flight, don’t start a conversation with a stranger whose face is going to be ~1 foot away from your face - that way they won’t have to lean in to hear you, or talk/exhale towards your face to respond. You’re worried about COVID but travelers can have any number of communicable diseases, eg tuberculosis, colds, influenza.
sdsearch, wrp96 and m907 like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 5:33 am

the telling remark above: "my health status is nobody else's business." I'm afraid it actually can be depending on what you might be spreading in an enclosed space.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:08 am

I had seatmate on a DL flight proudly tell me that "if it matters at all I am fully vaccinated."

Told her it did not matter at all. Then went back to my book.

[Mod deleted statement not travel-related]
joshua362, Statman, pgh234 and 9 others like this.

Last edited by ftnoob; May 28, 2021 at 10:54 pm
Old May 25, 2021, 6:24 am

Just take the middle (for husband) and aisle (for you) seats and leave the window to the other person. Don't say anything but if the other person coughs once, have your husband tell them "Look, a UFO outside the window" and when they turn to look, push the person through the window when nobody is looking. You can always deny you saw anything because you had instinctively covered your face with your hands for protection and can claim nobody had been sitting there.

On the other hand, if it was just an allergy cough or one caused by being tickled by their mask, well, don't worry about it, have your husband move to the window seat and enjoy the extra space.

As a bonus, if you get angry with your husband, you could push him out the broken window at that point.
JamesLoughney likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Well, as others have said, be ready for the replies that you will get. Being vaccinated is only going to prevent you from dying, but you can still get sick from it. I don't worry about it because I've been first hand exposed to people who were asymptomatic and I never got it, meaning that unless they are actively coughing on top of you without a mask, the chances of you getting it, will be minimum.
seems to me that if you are too worried about flying that maybe you shouldn't. Live your life and let other live theirs.
joshua362 and bozacksmith like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: Lufthansa, United, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Are you asking from FEAR or ALTRUISM?

The OP does not specify the underlying reason for questioning the aisle seat passenger. Namely...

Are they asking out of FEAR that an Asymptomatic Unvaccinated person might expose them to the virus?
(or)
Are they asking out of ALTRUISM? - knowing that even though they've been vaccinated they can still carry and pass the virus like a flying Typhoid Mary to an Unvaccinated passenger thus endangering said unvaccinated passenger's health and well-being.

My advice would be WEAR A MASK & DON'T ASK... unless you are willing to risk Air Rage from the aisle passenger while still on the apron or runway. If that happens your flight will be delayed, your incited passenger will likely be removed from the flight and you become public enemy #1 to hundreds of other passengers whose flight may have been on-time until the innocent question was posed.

Good Luck

Last edited by AussieOzzie; May 25, 2021 at 8:31 am Reason: capitalized words for emphasis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.