Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancellation Frustration, Can Twitter Do Refunds?

Old Apr 27, 21, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Airlines with non-stops to where I'm going

Hi all, very frustrated by a cancellation of a future flight and hoping for some advice. Had a Sunday night (in late June) flight from LGA-ATL cancelled today. THe original flight was leaving just after 8pm - perfect for my wife and I to take a long weekend in NYC and get back Sunday night. Only non-stop is now at 3pm. Automatically rebooked on the amazing timing/routing to leave at 6pm, connecting at MDW with a midnight arrival at ATL. THE RUB: I want a refund. The app/website is only giving me the option for a credit even though WN cancelled my flight. Can I get a refund through twitter or do I have to call and wait on hold?

Also frustrating (but such is life type things) :
  • App said "flight changes were due to circumstances beyond WN control (weather, etc...)". I'm not that stupid. They made a business decision. And, so be it. I'll book on DL, I'm sure I'll pay more but I'll get a non-stop around the time I was on WN. But why insult my intelligence?
  • Look, I get WN doesn't want to give cash back, but this seems like a stupid reason to piss off an A-Lister (my wife will also have to get a refund and she's A+ on a different confirmation).
  • What algorithm do they use that offers a flight leaving two hours earlier, heads West, has a ~two hour layover and then heads SE, making it a nearly 6 hour adventure as an automatic rebooking?
Old Apr 27, 21, 5:57 pm

Twitter and Facebook reps are Customer Relations, and should be able to process a refund. DM them for the quickest response (although you will likely first receive an automated reply.)
Old Apr 27, 21, 7:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Be aware that your refund will show up as travel funds for about 24 hours before those funds disappear as they are sent back to your credit card.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 21, 8:56 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Originally Posted by dcstudent View Post
Hi all, very frustrated by a cancellation of a future flight and hoping for some advice. Had a Sunday night (in late June) flight from LGA-ATL cancelled today. THe original flight was leaving just after 8pm - perfect for my wife and I to take a long weekend in NYC and get back Sunday night. Only non-stop is now at 3pm. Automatically rebooked on the amazing timing/routing to leave at 6pm, connecting at MDW with a midnight arrival at ATL. THE RUB: I want a refund. The app/website is only giving me the option for a credit even though WN cancelled my flight. Can I get a refund through twitter or do I have to call and wait on hold?

Also frustrating (but such is life type things) :
  • App said "flight changes were due to circumstances beyond WN control (weather, etc...)". I'm not that stupid. They made a business decision. And, so be it. I'll book on DL, I'm sure I'll pay more but I'll get a non-stop around the time I was on WN. But why insult my intelligence?
  • Look, I get WN doesn't want to give cash back, but this seems like a stupid reason to piss off an A-Lister (my wife will also have to get a refund and she's A+ on a different confirmation).
  • What algorithm do they use that offers a flight leaving two hours earlier, heads West, has a ~two hour layover and then heads SE, making it a nearly 6 hour adventure as an automatic rebooking?
dcstudent -

I'm sorry to hear that we have disappointed you.

The ability to request a refund for a flight canceled by Southwest is not at this point automated, thats why you aren't seeing that as an option online. Its an "exception" that currently has to be handled manually.

As for the message, "weather" was only intended to be an example, and we are currently reviewing that message to update for more clarity.

I am not personally familiar with the algorithm that decides what flight to move passengers to, however I do know that for a full flight, its not usually possible to move all the passengers to one new flight, and it appears they tried to get your departure time as close as possible to your original flight time, although as you pointed out, that is not a favorable routing or arrival time for you.

Customer Relations will be able to either move you to a flight that you would prefer, or process the cancellation and refund for you.
Old May 4, 21, 2:39 pm

Programs: Starwood, WN, DL
Originally Posted by SWAVictor View Post
dcstudent -

I'm sorry to hear that we have disappointed you.

The ability to request a refund for a flight canceled by Southwest is not at this point automated, thats why you aren't seeing that as an option online. Its an "exception" that currently has to be handled manually.

As for the message, "weather" was only intended to be an example, and we are currently reviewing that message to update for more clarity.

I am not personally familiar with the algorithm that decides what flight to move passengers to, however I do know that for a full flight, its not usually possible to move all the passengers to one new flight, and it appears they tried to get your departure time as close as possible to your original flight time, although as you pointed out, that is not a favorable routing or arrival time for you.

Customer Relations will be able to either move you to a flight that you would prefer, or process the cancellation and refund for you.

Another question I canít seem to find the answer to on the internet - My flight has been cancelled by Southwest. It was booked with a combination of travel funds and new cash (via credit card). If I request a refund, will the combined total go back in full to my credit card or will the travel fund portion go back to being travel funds?
Old May 4, 21, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by tom261 View Post
Another question I canít seem to find the answer to on the internet - My flight has been cancelled by Southwest. It was booked with a combination of travel funds and new cash (via credit card). If I request a refund, will the combined total go back in full to my credit card or will the travel fund portion go back to being travel funds?
IN the event of cancellation you are entitled to a refund in your original form of payment. Travel Funds will be refunded as Travel Funds. Credit Card charges can be refunded as either Credit Card Credit or Travel Funds. If you want a credit Card refund you need to tell them that. You send a message on twitter and they mostly respond. I've gotten refunds that way before. You will probably need to send a DM with you reservation number. I'd send a general message requesting a refund in the original form of payment and they will request specifics.
Old May 4, 21, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
IN the event of cancellation you are entitled to a refund in your original form of payment. Travel Funds will be refunded as Travel Funds. Credit Card charges can be refunded as either Credit Card Credit or Travel Funds. If you want a credit Card refund you need to tell them that. You send a message on twitter and they mostly respond. I've gotten refunds that way before. You will probably need to send a DM with you reservation number. I'd send a general message requesting a refund in the original form of payment and they will request specifics.
Just adding:

Funds from LUV Vouchers and Southwest Gift Cards will also become Travel Funds". The funds would not go back to the voucher or gift card, or to a credit credit.

PayPal would be refunded back through paypal to the original form of payment.

Also, agree with a general message on twitter.
Please don't share any personal information including credit card, phone, address, RR# , confirmation number, passenger name, or purchaser name in a public forum.
That likely goes without saying, but bears repeating just in case.
As stated above, they will ask for specifics in a DM.
Old May 4, 21, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I had a flight out of LAX cancelled and was put on another later. The time won't work for me; are they able to refund the Earlybird purchase to the credit card, too?
Old May 5, 21, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by allseas1586 View Post
I had a flight out of LAX cancelled and was put on another later. The time won't work for me; are they able to refund the Earlybird purchase to the credit card, too?
Yes they will refund the EB purchase as well.

I would advise to point out it and specifically mention that you want the EB refunded as well, just so they don't overlook it, and there are no surprises.
Old May 6, 21, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
Originally Posted by SWAVictor View Post
Just adding:

Funds from LUV Vouchers and Southwest Gift Cards will also become Travel Funds". The funds would not go back to the voucher or gift card, or to a credit credit.

PayPal would be refunded back through paypal to the original form of payment.

Also, agree with a general message on twitter.
Please don't share any personal information including credit card, phone, address, RR# , confirmation number, passenger name, or purchaser name in a public forum.
That likely goes without saying, but bears repeating just in case.
As stated above, they will ask for specifics in a DM.
How about this scenario:

Original WGA itinerary booked with combination of cash (credit card) & Travel Funds. Later on, I changed to another flight with a lower price (with the difference going into my Travel Fund).

The new flight has now been cancelled. If I ask for a refund, can I get the cash component paid on the original itinerary refunded back onto my credit card?
Old May 6, 21, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by econ View Post
How about this scenario:

Original WGA itinerary booked with combination of cash (credit card) & Travel Funds. Later on, I changed to another flight with a lower price (with the difference going into my Travel Fund).

The new flight has now been cancelled. If I ask for a refund, can I get the cash component paid on the original itinerary refunded back onto my credit card?

As long as the confirmation number didn't change you should be able to get the amount originally paid by credit card refunded back to the credit card.
econ likes this.
Old May 20, 21, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Be aware that your refund will show up as travel funds for about 24 hours before those funds disappear as they are sent back to your credit card.
I made a cancellation 2 days ago where the phone agent told me that I would be getting a refund back to my credit card. The amount is still showing up as travel funds. Should I call back, or does it sometimes take more than a day?
Old May 21, 21, 7:29 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by econ View Post
I made a cancellation 2 days ago where the phone agent told me that I would be getting a refund back to my credit card. The amount is still showing up as travel funds. Should I call back, or does it sometimes take more than a day?
I would call back. Years ago phone refund failures were common.
econ likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: