Newbie A-list question

Old Apr 19, 21, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Newbie A-list question

Do I still need to log-in 24 hours prior to our flight to check-in? Normally, we buy early boarding passes and do not check-in at the 24 hour mark but with now being A-list, do I need to do anything prior to showing up at the airport. Thanks for answering!
Old Apr 19, 21, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
You do not need to check in at T-24 hours. Your A list boarding number is assigned 36 hours before departure. You will need to check in at some time before flight, but there is no hurry to do so.
screeton likes this.
Old Apr 19, 21, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlaue View Post
You do not need to check in at T-24 hours. Your A list boarding number is assigned 36 hours before departure. You will need to check in at some time before flight, but there is no hurry to do so.
Thank you!!!
Old Apr 19, 21, 3:42 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
P.S. If you do checkin or try to check BEFORE 24 hours, you will not see anything. It does not show until the 24 hour mark.
Old Apr 20, 21, 5:02 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass holder and A List Preferred. Marriott Platinum
How do they assign the order of A List and A list preferred, is it completely random of it is already set 36 hrs before?
Old Apr 20, 21, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by ayande176 View Post
How do they assign the order of A List and A list preferred, is it completely random of it is already set 36 hrs before?
Southwest doesn't say. Presumably A-List Preferred comes before A-List, but within the groups the ranking is based on factors still unknown. One theory is annual spend.
Old Apr 21, 21, 10:00 am

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
Southwest doesn't say. Presumably A-List Preferred comes before A-List, but within the groups the ranking is based on factors still unknown. One theory is annual spend.
I have no idea but assume they did preferred first, then regular A-list. And then it was based on booking date. From a programming standpoint, that would be somewhat easy since that datapoint is right there, as compared to looking up spend in another database somewhere. But - I have zero idea and have not stayed in a Holiday Inn for over a year.
Old Apr 21, 21, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
I have no idea but assume they did preferred first, then regular A-list. And then it was based on booking date. From a programming standpoint, that would be somewhat easy since that datapoint is right there, as compared to looking up spend in another database somewhere. But - I have zero idea and have not stayed in a Holiday Inn for over a year.
I believe booking date has been disproved. (Lots of older threads on this topic.)

If it were booking date, I'm not sure why Southwest wouldn't just say that.
Old Apr 21, 21, 4:22 pm

I believe booking date has been disproved. (Lots of older threads on this topic.)

If it were booking date, I'm not sure why Southwest wouldn't just say that.
Yea... I forget I had read some stuff on that years ago. Still... maybe it is booking date and that is blended with your astrological sign and the number of flights you took and how many drinks you bought last year.
ryw likes this.
Old Apr 21, 21, 5:28 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List/CP, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
I have been an on on-and-off A-Lister several times and have seen the strength of my A-List boarding passes vary. What I recall seeing from an official source at one point was that a primary criteria is recent activity (without a very clear definition of 'recent'), and this matters because say you're an A-Lister through various promotions (so you have less activity than someone who earned it the hard way) or one who hasn't flown in six months, you'll get a lesser boarding position than someone who flies more. This matches with my personal experience, when I've been a weak A-Lister I get worse A's, and when I've been flying WN more I get better A's.
Old Apr 22, 21, 8:57 am

I thought Southwest did say that A-List Preferred came before A-List, I can confirm that when my wife (A-List Preferred) and I (A-List) travel together on separate reservations she always gets a position a few places in front of me. However with the recent change I have been booking our flights together on the same reservation and we get consecutive positions.
Old Apr 22, 21, 9:24 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Southwest, HHonors, Marriott
I would highly argue the “recent frequent travel” theory. I have been traveling a ton lately and have still ended up at A30 with people who have traveled less recently. My personal theory is the same metric for the actual check on time. Meaning someone who gets to check in more than 24 hours before the second segment of their flight than the person who is only on that flight. I would assume the same principle applies at the 36 hour mark for those connecting versus that being their first or only flight.
Old Apr 23, 21, 6:28 am

Last poster hit on a big situation that messes up data points big time. Folks connecting that check in at varied times (manually or automatic). Throws a real monkey wrench into the possible events and BP order.
synergistic likes this.
Old Apr 29, 21, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, United 1K, Southwest AL
As an A-List'er I have had 2 flights this past week where I was not automatically checked in. I had an existing reservation and had to change to an earlier flight. I did this about 32 hours before the flight. Because I did not receive auto check-in I manually checked-in around the 23 hour mark and received mid-B group boarding, Thinking it was an error I reached out and heard that because my (changed) booking was made less that 36 hours before the system does not automatically check you in. My question is...why? If you are not on A-List you can't check in until 24 hour before so why the 36 hour rule?
Old Apr 30, 21, 12:43 am

A-List positions are assigned somewhere between 36 and 24 hours before departure. (FYI, in case you're not aware, A-Listers who receive a B or above position can board at the end of the A group.)
m907 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: