Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN pilot (apparently?) in obscene rant on plane radio

WN pilot (apparently?) in obscene rant on plane radio

Old Mar 26, 21, 2:19 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by 747-800i View Post
Oh yea! They should totally fire the guy and ruin his life because he thought and said something you don't like! That makes sense!
No.. He could be fired for breaking protocol as he shouldn't be having non-flight conversation once the plane is below 10,000 either approach or take-off as it distracts from the task at hand. I believe applied after the United Express crash many years ago - so get off your soapbox. Especially, if this has happened multiple times just this time was hot mic.
Old Mar 26, 21, 2:22 pm

My bad. CVR's only record 2 hours. March 13 is probably lost.
Old Mar 26, 21, 2:24 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by 747-800i View Post
Kaepernick doesn't have a job because he's not a good QB. No idea who those other people even are.
Better QB vs. Eli Manning those last years and better statistically than Mark Sanchez who played after him.
Old Mar 26, 21, 2:47 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
I find it odd that you'd sarcastically thank the Pilots union for not overreacting to some guy ranting while not doing anything unsafe. The fact that there are people who think he should be fired for a hot mic incident is exactly why I am grateful for a union. Similarly, there are parts of this country I abhor, but to imply my (or his) disdain would translate to terrorist action? I hope that was hyperbole.

While I am generally not a big union fan myself, I find it hilarious and it does not warrant anything more that a violation of sterile cockpit slap on the wrist if any action is deemed necessary at all. The union will indeed prevent the calls for firing from actually happening and rightfully so in this case IMO.
m907 and FlyDeltaMD88 like this.
Old Mar 26, 21, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RooseveltL View Post
No.. He could be fired for breaking protocol as he shouldn't be having non-flight conversation once the plane is below 10,000 either approach or take-off as it distracts from the task at hand. I believe applied after the United Express crash many years ago - so get off your soapbox. Especially, if this has happened multiple times just this time was hot mic.
Shows how much you know about the airline industry. If this pilot had previous disciplinary action/talks on his record then yes, he would be let go. If this was his first offense then he would rightfully get a talk or written warning from the chief pilot for violating sterile cockpit and go on his merry way.
Old Mar 26, 21, 3:14 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
My bad. CVR's only record 2 hours. March 13 is probably lost.
I'm not sure how the CVR would help as all of the evidence was recorded by SJC Tower.. For what do you think it might be useful?
Old Mar 26, 21, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RooseveltL View Post
Better QB vs. Eli Manning those last years and better statistically than Mark Sanchez who played after him.
Eli won 2 Super Bowls and is an all-time great for the Giants. You don't see why that situation is different? Sanchez washed out of the league also since he was awful. He had a longer leash because he was a 1st round draft pick and the franchise had invested a lot in him...he's also not with a team now. Who should he be blaming except himself?
Old Mar 26, 21, 4:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by samwise6222 View Post
probably because it may impact passenger safety?

the pilot of 4U9525 was an ordinary pilot who had no trouble taking off and landing - until the day he snapped and decided to crash into a mountain.
Thats a heck of a logical leap followed by a bad analogy. Mouthing off a bit doesnt make him a mentally ill murderer.
m907 and FlyDeltaMD88 like this.
Old Mar 27, 21, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Probably ex military like many insurrectionists and white supremacists. Not showing the LUV for customer, company or country.
Old Mar 27, 21, 10:00 am

I highly doubt that was an actual rant. “Hyundais?” “Rolling coal?” Lol Sounded like a pretend rant to me. The whole in-and-out of Texas drawl voice change. Laughing in the background.

Sounded like a character on King of the Hill. Bad comedy.
Old Mar 27, 21, 10:56 am

There are a ton of pilots sitting in the wings just hoping to be hired this year who will be more then happy to take his place.
Old Mar 27, 21, 2:53 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
I highly doubt that was an actual rant. Hyundais? Rolling coal? Lol Sounded like a pretend rant to me.
No ATP in their right mind would risk FAA certificate action for a "playful" rant on a radio frequency that is regulated by the FCC. The Flight Surgeon has pulled Class 1's for less.
Old Mar 27, 21, 3:22 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Following this thread because I want to see the outcome.

And what the heck hes doing SFO sectors anyhow? His seniority that awful cant even get the DAL/LBB turns?
Old Mar 27, 21, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, DL Plat, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
Probably ex military like many insurrectionists and white supremacists. Not showing the LUV for customer, company or country.
i work with lots of airline pilots and the ratio of nut jobs among military and non military is about even
screeton and TexasDeere like this.
Old Mar 27, 21, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition to the sterile cockpit violation, the guy might have anger management issues, which aren't good in a pilot.

Search this Thread