Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest to add Myrtle Beach, Eugene, Bellingham

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest to add Myrtle Beach, Eugene, Bellingham

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2021, 3:29 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by xobile
Bellingham is great and shows they have an eye on cross border Canadian traffic. Hopefully that will parlay into WN finally entering Canada despite their previous hesitancy. Flights from YYZ to the US can get quite expensive.
I believe there are ground transportation options to the USA from both YYZ and YVR (Quick Shuttle from YVR to BLI and SEA) but ideal cities for WN to serve in Canada would be YYC and perhaps YEG and maybe YUL and/or YOW.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Yep. Last time I flew out of BLI, the economy lot was closed, had to pay $14 plus a day. More than double what I pay at the lot I frequent at SEA.
The old econo gravel pit lot has been closed for a while, however isn't the 'Econo A' still open?? (That's where I last parked Feb 2020).
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:16 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CZBB
The old econo gravel pit lot has been closed for a while, however isn't the 'Econo A' still open?? (That's where I last parked Feb 2020).
Not sure, has been a few years since I flew out of there. It is nice being able to walk to your car, that is for sure.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
FCA (Kalispell, MT) would be a great city for WN to serve. FCA is in close proximity to Glacier National Park and the Flathead Valley is a growing area. One ideal route would be FCA-LAS and if Southwest does that it should be called "The Philip Klevmoen Express".
N830MH likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
FCA (Kalispell, MT) would be a great city for WN to serve. FCA is in close proximity to Glacier National Park and the Flathead Valley is a growing area. One ideal route would be FCA-LAS and if Southwest does that it should be called "The Philip Klevmoen Express".
They need to blanket the region with FCA, JAC, BIL, and RAP.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by m907
They need to blanket the region with FCA, JAC, BIL, and RAP.
I don't know about BIL, but I can see the other 3 and would be a huge fan!
Old Mar 17, 2021, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
I don't know about BIL, but I can see the other 3 and would be a huge fan!
Billings to Bellingham BIL-BLI

But seriously, Montana doesn't have the population to fulfil WN's idea of a station. They rarely (never?) open a station with less than 4 flights/day
Old Mar 17, 2021, 1:55 pm

But seriously, Montana doesn't have the population to fulfil WN's idea of a station. They rarely (never?) open a station with less than 4 flights/day
Spoiler

This is a new WN pandemic/post pandemic. I don't see why JAC and FCA couldn't do well (seasonally?) with a few flights to LAS, DEN, maybe even MDW or DAL/HOU
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:40 am

The Montana-Wyoming tourism industry is bigger than you think. BIL, JAC, FCA all have far more annual enplanements than several small Southwest markets, including HDN, MTJ, BLI, VPS, etc.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:33 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Years ago I took the Bellair Airporter shuttle to BLI, but the shuttle called it BHM. I was flying to BHM (Birmingham, AL). Back then, BLI consisted of what appeared to be a small bus terminal with a double wide trailer attached. The new terminal is very nice with four gates and no jetbridges.

I'm still hoping that WN is able to start service at PAE as it would help bring prices down and allow for more connection opportunities. The manager of BLI said something along the lines of being shocked that PAE wasn't allowed to have a larger terminal and that BLI was happy to take any flights. For anyone who lives north of Seattle, BLI is still a viable alternative to SEA due to traffic and wait times.

BLI does have a competitor in YXX (Abbotsford, BC) which now sees service from Air Canada, WestJet, Flair, and Swoop and has had service to the US and Mexico, so there might be some demand for longer flights out of BLI.

My guess is BLI will have service to DEN, OAK, LAS, and possibly PHX. OGG and ANC might be possibilities later on as well as BLI-RNO charters for Caesars. BLI regularly hosts charters to Reno, Laughlin, and West Wendover on IAero Airways (formerly Swift Air), which took over the contracts formerly awarded to Allegiant.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
Years ago I took the Bellair Airporter shuttle to BLI, but the shuttle called it BHM. I was flying to BHM (Birmingham, AL). Back then, BLI consisted of what appeared to be a small bus terminal with a double wide trailer attached. The new terminal is very nice with four gates and no jetbridges.

I'm still hoping that WN is able to start service at PAE as it would help bring prices down and allow for more connection opportunities. The manager of BLI said something along the lines of being shocked that PAE wasn't allowed to have a larger terminal and that BLI was happy to take any flights. For anyone who lives north of Seattle, BLI is still a viable alternative to SEA due to traffic and wait times.
I knew it! They never started PAE and they don't have enough gate space available. No room for another airline. They unable to get obtain slots. Instead, they went to BLI. They still have more gate space availability. I think BLI is the right choice. No need go to PAE.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE

BLI does have a competitor in YXX (Abbotsford, BC) which now sees service from Air Canada, WestJet, Flair, and Swoop and has had service to the US and Mexico, so there might be some demand for longer flights out of BLI.

My guess is BLI will have service to DEN, OAK, LAS, and possibly PHX. OGG and ANC might be possibilities later on as well as BLI-RNO charters for Caesars. BLI regularly hosts charters to Reno, Laughlin, and West Wendover on IAero Airways (formerly Swift Air), which took over the contracts formerly awarded to Allegiant.
5 gates (A,B,C,D,E) at BLI. AS use A and sometimes B, G4 use D and E.

The advantage of BLI over YXX for US desitnations only. The savings of the the US imposed 'crossing the border by air' fees, which amount to about $45 on a ticket; while driving across is free.

BLI is never going to have holiday flights to Mexico/etc, as those will be cheaper flying direct from Canada (YXX), Sunwing/Swoop/etc
N830MH likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:36 pm

Yes Jackson Hole (JAC) would be virtually the same as service into MT (think Boseman). The Yellow Stone/JacksonHole NP complex has a sliver in the state of MT.
I'm surprised the JAC hasn't secured this service already because with political pressure from two states(that's 4 senators from MT & WY), pushing for Southwest to open up service represents some tough political pressure for Southwest management to ignore.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 11:42 am

Allegiant already does FCA-LAS
N830MH likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 5:52 am

Programs: None
Myrtle Beach routes now on sale. Flights to:

- Atlanta (ATL)
- Nashville (BNA)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- Columbus (CMH)
- Dallas (DAL)
- Indianapolis (IND)
- Kansas City (MCI)
- Chicago (MDW)
- Pittsburgh (PIT)
- St. Louis (STL)
pgh234 and N830MH like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.