Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest to add Myrtle Beach, Eugene, Bellingham

Southwest to add Myrtle Beach, Eugene, Bellingham

Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
I don't think DEN. Right now, they don't have enough gate space. They have wait for a while. Once 24 new gates expansion at concourse C is open sometime end of 2021. Can't have DEN now.
BLI isn't starting until Q4 2021; timing would likely work.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:17 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
How about RAP? Near the Black Hills and Badlands which are tourist destinations.
N830MH and m907 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:31 am

They're on a tear.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: EY
Bellingham is great and shows they have an eye on cross border Canadian traffic. Hopefully that will parlay into WN finally entering Canada despite their previous hesitancy. Flights from YYZ to the US can get quite expensive.
jiminycricket and ryw like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by xobile
Bellingham is great and shows they have an eye on cross border Canadian traffic. Hopefully that will parlay into WN finally entering Canada despite their previous hesitancy. Flights from YYZ to the US can get quite expensive.
You need get a passport. You have go on the website to filled the application. You mailing to them. You will received passport in the mail within 4 or 8 weeks.

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
How about RAP? Near the Black Hills and Badlands which are tourist destinations.
That'll do. Hope they add RAP in the near future. You'll see.

Originally Posted by CZBB
BLI isn't starting until Q4 2021; timing would likely work.
Right! Not yet. You have wait for 4th quarter 2021.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I refer to BUF as YBUF. Generally it seems that 50%+ of the passengers are Canadian. Either that or they are very polite Americans who talk funny
expert7700 and steved5480 like this.

Last edited by birdiedouble; Mar 9, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Old Mar 9, 2021, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Will WN list BLI as Bellingham/Vancouver like Allegiant lists PBG as Plattsburgh/Montreal?
I remember years ago seeing an advertisement in Montreal enticing travelers to use Burlington (BTV) as "Montreal's U.S. airport". Longer drive, but probably has (or at least had) more airlines and destinations than Plattsburgh. I've used BTV to get to/from Quebec a few times. Not a WN city but I've usually found good fares there and it's a really nice drive up to Canada.

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
I'd love to see that, especially if we get the 90-minute flight to MCI. No real direct route to drive to the Badlands from here, a nonstop flight would make it a really easy weekend destination for us.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I hope they add nonstop flight from Myrthe Beach to FLL, MCO, TPA, MDW, BWI, BNA, HOU, DAL, ATL, DEN, and AUS.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 4:11 pm

The bulk of that is the difference in price is because it's the difference between a domestic ticket and an international ticket.

The USA add about $45 in 'entering the US by air' taxes on international flights, plus some of the AIF (PFC) for YYZ for US departures is required to cover the costs of the American pre-clearance facility. However, driving across the border is free.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 2:05 am

Programs: EY
The bulk of that is the difference in price is because it's the difference between a domestic ticket and an international ticket.

The USA add about $45 in 'entering the US by air' taxes on international flights, plus some of the AIF (PFC) for YYZ for US departures is required to cover the costs of the American pre-clearance facility. However, driving across the border is free.
Yes, I'm aware that there are about $70 in taxes and fees from the start for flights from YYZ to the US. It still could be much cheaper than what it is, which is $350 one way on a sale, and up to $900 for a normal Air Canada ticket from YYZ to ORD. Driving across the border is not practical for everyone, even if it is 'just' 2 hours to Buffalo.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:49 am

Yes, I'm aware that there are about $70 in taxes and fees from the start for flights from YYZ to the US. It still could be much cheaper than what it is, which is $350 one way on a sale, and up to $900 for a normal Air Canada ticket from YYZ to ORD. Driving across the border is not practical for everyone, even if it is 'just' 2 hours to Buffalo.
Back to the original topic, which was Bellingham. Unlike BUF vs YYZ, the BLI airport is actually closer than YVR for about 1/3 of the Metro Vancouver population (Surrey, Langley, WhiteRock, Abbotsford, Aldergrove). Even for those where it's physically further, BLI still may be quicker as it's basically freeway the entire way; and you park in front of the terminal building.

For me, YVR is about a 35 minute drive (25km), BLI about 60 min (55km) incl border crossing w/ Nexus; HOWEVER, at YVR there's a 10-20 minute extra waiting for a parking shuttle, plus the time inside to clear US pre-clearance, so I'd guess in pure time, I can be at the gate faster in BLI than I could for a US departure at YVR. That probably means that YVR is more effective airport for only those that live in City of Vancouver City, North Shore, and Richmond (less than 1/2 the metro population), every other suburb it would be faster to go to BLI.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Back to the original topic, which was Bellingham. Unlike BUF vs YYZ, the BLI airport is actually closer than YVR for about 1/3 of the Metro Vancouver population (Surrey, Langley, WhiteRock, Abbotsford, Aldergrove). Even for those where it's physically further, BLI still may be quicker as it's basically freeway the entire way; and you park in front of the terminal building.
I'm guessing that daily parking rates are a lot cheaper at BLI.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Bellingham parking is $10/day economy, $14 for main terminal parking.

As one of FT's old-timers, I remember when the parking at Stockton's terminal was free. If you were going to be gone for weeks, it made sense to park at SCK and take a regional hopper to SFO to avoid the parking fees there. Parking at SCK is now $10/day.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 1:14 pm

Actually not. BLI have raised their parking prices quite a lot and aren't sigificantly different from YVR after exchange rates.
tatterdema likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 6:08 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Actually not. BLI have raised their parking prices quite a lot and aren't sigificantly different from YVR after exchange rates.
Yep. Last time I flew out of BLI, the economy lot was closed, had to pay $14 plus a day. More than double what I pay at the lot I frequent at SEA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.