FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   CoVid test Requirement for Re-entry (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2035322-covid-test-requirement-re-entry.html)

acasteve Mar 5, 2021 12:14 pm

CoVid test Requirement for Re-entry

Good day to all.
I am about to go to HOU-CUN on a quick personal business trip. I plan to arrive and then leave on or within the three day test requirement. I have been fully vaccinated since January 28.
Two questions:
Does anyone here know if there is any provision to exempt vaccinated passengers from the testing requirement to re-enter?
Will a test performed in the U.S. within the accepted time frame ( for the return) be accepted, or must it be from a Mexican lab?
Thanks as always the input!

LegalTender Mar 5, 2021 1:17 pm

No practical vaccination "proof" really exists since CDC cards are not components of a national registry. I was asked to write my own name and DOB on mine. No one is warned to safeguard them as a theoretical travel visa.

Often1 Mar 5, 2021 2:50 pm

Simple answers all in the CDC Order. Strongly suggest that anyone who may be seeking to enter the US carefully review the section for passengers.

1. No exemption for vaccinations. Very unlikely to see that until all passengers are vaccinated and community spread in the US is down below the magic 3%.
2. So long as the test you obtain prior to departure meets the three calendar day and other requirements for entry, you may use it to enter the US. WN will need to see it prior to permitting you to board at CUN.

NoStressHere Mar 5, 2021 3:52 pm

AND, I have to add. The rules change often... like weekly and sometimes daily.

Best of luck.

Often1 Mar 5, 2021 4:13 pm

There has only been one entry order for the US affecting US nationals entering the US. Issued by CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/G...ncrypted-p.pdf

Can't tell you that it won't change tomorrow, but there is zero evidence to suggest that.

danielonn Apr 5, 2021 3:45 am

Should the US in conjunction with CVS open up rapid testing centers at major airports and cities abroad that can take insurance from the US? Also international residents could use this too.

danhouston Apr 9, 2021 11:15 pm

fam booked flight to CUN for the 3rd wknd of May.. hope the reqmt will no longer needed before or by then

AsiaTraveler Apr 11, 2021 7:57 am

Originally Posted by danhouston (Post 33166502)
fam booked flight to CUN for the 3rd wknd of May.. hope the reqmt will no longer needed before or by then

I really wouldn't count on it being removed by then. Nationally, case counts are ticking back upwards and even if that were to reverse today, I wouldn't expect the case loads to be low enough to trigger its removal.

Often1 Apr 11, 2021 8:39 am

The chances that the US will remove testing requirements in the next month are beyond slim. When those do come, perhaps late summer or fall, it will likely be for those fully vaccinated.

In the meantime, you still need to have plans for pre-departure testing from CUN and a plan B in case you test positive and require significant medical treatment.

danhouston Apr 11, 2021 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 33169183)
The chances that the US will remove testing requirements in the next month are beyond slim. When those do come, perhaps late summer or fall, it will likely be for those fully vaccinated.

In the meantime, you still need to have plans for pre-departure testing from CUN and a plan B in case you test positive and require significant medical treatment.

wife did move the bookings to may from apr as we'll be vaccinated around mid apr; will be there for only 3 nights, where hyatt provides a comp covid test there in cancun for a return

just curious, do folks know about how much a covid pretest is in US?

steved5480 Apr 11, 2021 11:07 am

Originally Posted by danhouston (Post 33169452)
wife did move the bookings to may from apr as we'll be vaccinated around mid apr; will be there for only 3 nights, where hyatt provides a comp covid test there in cancun for a return

There are many types, locations, prices, most covered by your insurance. This is a good place to start for comparison purposes:

https://www.questdiagnostics.com/home/Covid-19/Pricing/

nsx Apr 11, 2021 1:22 pm

IMHO if you wait until everything is guaranteed to be smooth there will be crowds at tourist destinations. People who take a small risk can have a more peaceful vacation, but that window has already closed for Hawaii.

Often1 Apr 12, 2021 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston (Post 33169452)

Where are you located? Your insurance will matter. Some carriers now want a doc's Order before they reimburse and some just pay.

737MAX8 Apr 12, 2021 9:43 pm

Directly from travel.state.gov

A: If a trip is shorter than 3 days, a viral test taken in the United States can be used to fulfill the requirements of the Order as long as the specimen was taken no more than 3 days before the return flight to the US departs.