Wiki Posts
Search

Routing Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Routing Question

Say someone wants to fly CLE-CMH when I try and book get error nothing available. Yet you can fly to CMH from DTW and PIT via BWI. You can do CLE-CVG via BWI. With the routing by valid connection you can get a good fare under 100 bucks flying separate segments CLE-BWI then BWI-CMH I would be paying much more.
AA,DL, and UA will allow you to book CLE-CMH. I would think in a effort to fill planes they would offer most routings. Only reason I am asking I don’t like driving in snow and don’t want to take a bus and my company would allow me to fly to CMH at a reasonable fare.
Notice they will route PIT-PHL a route they flew at one time off connections at BNA and ATL.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 7:12 am

I'm not.sure why they don't publish the route, but you should be able to book it as a multi city reservation - I think you use advanced search on the website, it'll be one of the options next to Round Trip and One Way.

​​​
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It takes time and effort to manage fare filings, routings, bucket inventory, competitive analysis, etc., when they are selling tickets for a particular city pair (as a single fare). It's not that the "routing" isn't allowed (as noted above, you can use multi-city to book multiple fares for the route), it's the fact that there are no single fare filings covering the route. While a fair amount can be done with automation, there's almost certainly some human effort going on behind the scenes as well to manage the fare filings. WN has simply decided there's not enough demand for these routes to bother with maintaining fare filings for them (and all that goes along with that). This actually isn't unique to WN. There's quite a few Florida markets where DL does not have fare filings on the routes despite the distances being lengthy in a number of instances and it could be argued ATL is a reasonable connection. Examples include JAX-TLH/MCO/PBI, MCO-FLL/PBI/RSW, TPA-PBI/FLL. Further, while DL has published fares on CVG-IND, there are none on CVG-CMH/SDF/LEX which are similar distances.
synergistic and nsx like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 2, 2021 at 6:50 pm
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
It takes time and effort to manage fare filings, routings, bucket inventory, competitive analysis, etc., when they are selling tickets for a particular city pair (as a single fare). It's not that the "routing" isn't allowed (as noted above, you can use multi-city to book multiple fares for the route), it's the fact that there are no single fare filings covering the route. While a fair amount can be done with automation, there's almost certainly some human effort going on behind the scenes as well to manage the fare filings. WN has simply decided there's not enough demand for these routes to bother with maintaining fare filings for them (and all that goes along with that). This actually isn't unique to WN. There's quite a few Florida markets where DL does not have fare filings on the routes despite the distances being lengthy in a number of instances and it could be argued ATL is a reasonable connection. Examples include JAX-TLH/MCO/PBI, MCO-FLL/PBI/RSW, TPA-PBI/FLL. Further, while DL has published fares on CVG-IND, there are none on CVG-CMH/SDF/LEX which are similar distances.
Agreed completely. I'm actually a little surprised they they don't have a staff member whose job is solely to
Old Feb 2, 2021, 8:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Looks like all of the big 3 allow that routing for a random date I selected. WN is also showing up as an option on Google Flights.

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...__8BQAFIAZgBAQ
Old Feb 3, 2021, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Looks like all of the big 3 allow that routing for a random date I selected. WN is also showing up as an option on Google Flights.

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...__8BQAFIAZgBAQ
It's somewhat complicated. Only DL actually has fare filings on this route (CLE-CMH). The UA/AA/WN options showing on Google Flights are all broken fares. The WN flights must be booked using multi-city as it will not show options with a one-way search on routes where it does not have fare filings. UA and AA will show broken fare options on routes where there are no fare filings without having to resort to multi-city searches. DL, like WN, will not show any flights on routes where it does not have fare filings when doing a one-way search and you have to resort to multi-city. DL is even more anal than WN in that it enforces a minimum layover of 4 hours when constructing broken fare combinations through hubs (try MCO-ATL-FLL, for example). You have to book the fares on separate tickets to get around this restriction.
nsx likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 3, 2021 at 7:38 am
Old Feb 3, 2021, 5:35 am

It honestly might be more cost-effective to hire a private car service for a route like this anyhow, but otherwise, yes, the multi-city option will be your best bet.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by benfro6
It honestly might be more cost-effective to hire a private car service for a route like this anyhow, but otherwise, yes, the multi-city option will be your best bet.
Sometimes they look at city pairs and opt out of dealing with it. Around 150 miles. Personally I would drive or take a rental car if only needing a one way.

But... that. is me
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 9:04 am

There are lots of other examples. According to Bing Maps, CLE to CMH is 136 miles. That's similar to the 126 mile distance between LAX and SAN.

Southwest doesn't publish fares between LAX-SAN, but you can connect via Las Vegas using the multi-city option.
synergistic and ryw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.