FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Strategy For Juggling Family's Multiple Companion Passes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2032758-strategy-juggling-familys-multiple-companion-passes.html)

pgh234 Jan 19, 2021 2:07 pm

Strategy For Juggling Family's Multiple Companion Passes

Since companion passes are now easily accessible for my entire family, I am struggling to figure out a strategy for using them.

For my family, I have the following:
Myself (A-List)
Spouse (Not A-List this year)
2-Year Old
Lap Child

Through the promotion, my spouse, 2-year old, and myself will be achieving Companion Pass through 6/30.

1) How should I make future bookings? Together or separate? Can the two-year old be on her own booking?
2) Can I put all of us on one PNR and utilize our companion passes to bring three other people? Or would we need to be on separate PNRs to bring three companions? (I feel like there is only one "Companion" allowed per booking but I am not sure)
3) Can the 2-year old be on her own PNR separate from us and have her own companion? Does that companion have to be an adult or can it be used to guarantee a seat for the lap child?

FindAWay Jan 19, 2021 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234 (Post 32980351)
Since companion passes are now easily accessible for my entire family, I am struggling to figure out a strategy for using them.

For my family, I have the following:
Myself (A-List)
Spouse (Not A-List this year)
2-Year Old
Lap Child

Through the promotion, my spouse, 2-year old, and myself will be achieving Companion Pass through 6/30.

1) How should I make future bookings? Together or separate? Can the two-year old be on her own booking?

Generally, I have liked separate bookings; however, if 2 CP-holders are on the same reservation (single PNR), then, they can each still add their designated companion. Of course, you cannot chain your companions. The 2-y.o. can be on her own booking; but, you need to make a booking for an adult traveling on the same flight first as the last step of the 2-y.o.'s booking will be to identify an adult traveling on the same itinerary.

2) Can I put all of us on one PNR and utilize our companion passes to bring three other people? Or would we need to be on separate PNRs to bring three companions? (I feel like there is only one "Companion" allowed per booking but I am not sure)

Either way works.

3) Can the 2-year old be on her own PNR separate from us and have her own companion? Does that companion have to be an adult or can it be used to guarantee a seat for the lap child?

The 2-y.o. can be on her own separate PNR and should be able to have her own designated companion added to the PNR (see above about the "last step" restriction). I'm not sure whether the 2-y.o.'s companion has to be an adult (I doubt it); but, I can confirm that I have made under-2-y.o.'s my designated companion to guarantee them a seat without an issue (well, I think there might have been an initial issue that required calling-in to have a phone customer relations rep designate the companion and was easily resolved...it was a few years ago) and flown with under-2-y.o. as my designated companion on multiple flights.

pgh234 Jan 19, 2021 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay (Post 32980373)
Generally, I have liked separate bookings; however, if 2 CP-holders are on the same reservation (single PNR), then, they can each still add their designated companion. Of course, you cannot chain your companions. The 2-y.o. can be on her own booking; but, you need to make a booking for an adult traveling on the same flight first as the last step of the 2-y.o.'s booking will be to identify an adult traveling on the same itinerary.

Thanks for the help!
I was a little unsure what you meant by "you cannot chain companions". Do you mean, for example, that I can't make my 2-y.o. my companion and can't then use her companion too? If so, that is understood.

FindAWay Jan 19, 2021 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234 (Post 32980888)
Thanks for the help!
I was a little unsure what you meant by "you cannot chain companions". Do you mean, for example, that I can't make my 2-y.o. my companion and can't then use her companion too? If so, that is understood.

Yes, that's what I meant.

toomanybooks Jan 20, 2021 6:34 am

Originally Posted by pgh234 (Post 32980888)
Thanks for the help!

If you could chain companions, someone here 10 years ago would have arranged to have 137 people fill a plane by paying one fare for the heck of it.

Thst probably would have been me.

TravelGuy1965 Feb 6, 2021 7:17 pm

Yah, it was sad when they added an IT wrapper a couple years ago to prevent it.... It was allowed on the system up until about 4 years ago... Was very nice.....

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 32981669)
If you could chain companions, someone here 10 years ago would have arranged to have 137 people fill a plane by paying one fare for the heck of it.

Thst probably would have been me.

NoStressHere Feb 7, 2021 7:18 am

With 4 people flying, you have to purchase at least 2 seats. (cash or points).

Side note... how did you obtain so many passes?

pgh234 Feb 7, 2021 10:43 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 33021419)
With 4 people flying, you have to purchase at least 2 seats. (cash or points).

Side note... how did you obtain so many passes?

Through the current "buy two flights and get CP through 6/30" promo. I got CP's for the whole family for a few hundred $ with extensive travel now planned before 6/30.

Beckles Feb 7, 2021 2:06 pm

My understanding of how the system now works is that you want to book you and your wife together, your A-List will extend to her and your Companion automatically. What I am not sure about is your wife's Companion ... doesn't seem like A-List will extend to them, I asked this question a short time ago but did not get a definitive answer. Also seems like your lap child will no longer be a lap child but someone's Companion with a seat.