Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Travel credit expiring February 2021. What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Never flown on Southwest but I booked a Southwest flight to Chicago in February of this year and then rebooked at a lower price. I had to cancel the trip due to Covid. I couldn't get a refund on my credit card but I have two credits for future travel on Southwest. One credit expires in 2022 but one credit cancels in February of 2021. I don't want to travel anytime in the near future but don't want to lose the credit that expires in 3 months.

If I book another Southwest flight to use my expiring credit and then cancel, will I get an extension on the credit or will I lose it in February 2021?

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Robert Walsh
Never flown on Southwest but I booked a Southwest flight to Chicago in February of this year and then rebooked at a lower price. I had to cancel the trip due to Covid. I couldn't get a refund on my credit card but I have two credits for future travel on Southwest. One credit expires in 2022 but one credit cancels in February of 2021. I don't want to travel anytime in the near future but don't want to lose the credit that expires in 3 months.

If I book another Southwest flight to use my expiring credit and then cancel, will I get an extension on the credit or will I lose it in February 2021?

Thank you in advance.
the window for the 9/7/22 extension was 9/7/20. If you book and cancel it will revert back to the 1 year from the original booking.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Robert Walsh

Thank you in advance.
Your credits will function in different ways once used, due to the terms of the covid accommodation Southwest offered earlier this year:
  • Funds from the February 2021 credit will continue to expire in February 2021, and will also taint any new funds added to a new booking, so that all funds will take on the February 2021 expiration.
  • Funds from the September 7, 2022 credit will expire one year from the date you make a new booking. Any new funds will also expire one year from that new booking date.
Your funds having different expiration dates could be a result of the timing of your rebooking and eventual cancellation, or could possibly be due to a unique issue with how the covid accommodation functioned within Southwest's systems. The latter can possibly be addressed by Customer Relations. To help diagnose, please reply (if possible) with the dates you 1) rebooked for the lower price, and 2) cancelled the reservation.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:31 am

Can you convert them to points before the Dec 15 deadline?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
You might want to read some of this.

https://www.southwest.com/Coronaviru...A&cbid=5351054
Old Nov 19, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by voodoogirl
Can you convert them to points before the Dec 15 deadline?
FYI: Only the travel funds with the September 7, 2022 expiration date can be converted to Rapid Rewards points.
synergistic likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 6:19 am

I have two $100 separate TFs ($200 total travel funds) that expire in about a week, and I cannot fly anywhere. What can I do?
What are my options for this $200 TFs?
Purchased and Cancelled these flights in December 2019, and SW stated cannot be turned into RR and extension is $100 for each so pointless
Old Dec 5, 2020, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by gamyrjay
I have two $100 separate TFs ($200 total travel funds) that expire in about a week, and I cannot fly anywhere. What can I do?
What are my options for this $200 TFs?
Purchased and Cancelled these flights in December 2019, and SW stated cannot be turned into RR and extension is $100 for each so pointless
Looks like your question was answered in another thread.

It also looks like you've cross-posted that exact same question multiple times here. FYI, that's not allowed per forum rules. It's also a pretty basic violation of general netiquette.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Southwest sent out multiple emails this year letting people extend dates.

Most everyone were changed to Sept 2022. And now, up until Dec 15th, you can change those to miles.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Southwest sent out multiple emails this year letting people extend dates.

Most everyone were changed to Sept 2022. And now, up until Dec 15th, you can change those to miles.
Then why are they saying no to me?

"As you may know when plans change, we allow our Customers to have full use of the travel funds for 12 months from the original purchase date as long as the reservation is canceled at least 10 minutes prior to departure. All travel must be completed by the expiration date of the original ticket."
Old Dec 5, 2020, 7:15 pm

To be clear, Southwest didn't actually tell everyone that they could extend their funds. In fact, CS and CR told many people the opposite, that they should wait, and perhaps another accommodation period would be announced that would include their flight or mtravel funds expiration (if after September 7, 2020).

From March 1 to September 7, 2020, you could cancel an existing itinerary and the resultant fund would be extended by the system, overnight, to now expire on September 7, 2022. If you already had travel funds with an expiration date after September 7, 2020, or a flight still scheduled for after that date, that you hoped to keep, the policy did not apply to you.

Some customers realized that they could use their funds to book and then cancel an itinerary during the accommodation period, which would result in extended funds through 2022. But not everyone did, and many customers simply hoped to still travel on their flights, scheduled for anytime following September 7, 2020. Those that didn't cancel (or book then cancel) prior to the deadline now find that Southwest is making no accommodation for their specific situations.
ryw and nsx like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.