Getting hosed on SW travel funds

Old Nov 16, 20, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I haven't a clue what you're trying to communicate here.
I think he was talking about, there are some situations and date combinations, you can change a flight and SW doesn't charge you extra for it. in example, book a flight on a day for $59 and then you can change it to a different day where that flight is $259 and you don't get charged the difference. This has been ongoing for SW for some days for some reason. Related to the MAX issue. Doctor of Credit has info on it. It is on again and off again result.
Old Nov 16, 20, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat View Post
I think he was talking about, there are some situations and date combinations, you can change a flight and SW doesn't charge you extra for it. in example, book a flight on a day for $59 and then you can change it to a different day where that flight is $259 and you don't get charged the difference. This has been ongoing for SW for some days for some reason. Related to the MAX issue. Doctor of Credit has info on it. It is on again and off again result.
If so, there's a whole thread on this.
tennster likes this.
Old Dec 5, 20, 6:35 am

I have two $100 separate TFs ($200 total travel funds) that expire in about a week, and I cannot fly anywhere. What can I do?
What are my options for this $200 TFs?
Purchased and Cancelled these flights in December 2019, and SW stated cannot be turned into RR and extension is $100 for each so pointless
Old Dec 5, 20, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by hkcj View Post
... I do think it's a bit scheme-ey to have a loophole for hyper-engaged customers and leave everyone else out in the dust. (Note that hyper-engaged customers are not necessarily the highest spenders: not every frequent traveler has time to be keeping up on the forums.)
I find it ironic that you made multiple posts on the same forum begrudging the success of your fellow travelers who were helped here. Can you name the appropriate deadly sin this illustrates? I'd think it would be more productive to use this forum for its intended purpose -- to share and learn.
Old Dec 7, 20, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
...I had have better luck with getting refunds/ credits (for COVID impacted travel) from American Airlines (surprise!), Air Canada, LH and Qatar (J tix - $$$). For WN, being an airline that prides on transparency, this was a colossal failure IMHO.
Interesting about Air Canada because they would not refund my business class tickets R/T from Vegas to Copenhagen in July/August although they cancelledevery flight in and out of Vegas during that time. All I could get was travel credit, which I refused. I will NEVER book with Air Canada again. After several months, I just got a 75% refund under the "cancel for any reason" portion of my travel insurance coverage.
Old Dec 8, 20, 3:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Plat Amb, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec
Just adding a data point.

I have about ~ $500 in travel funds expiring or recently expired after the September 7, 2020 date.
I called in and also spoke to their twitter customer service, and was not able to get either an extension or a conversion to points (though I was able to convert other travel funds).

My takeaway: It's somewhat reasonable for the airlines to not accept the financial risk from covid, due to various lockdown orders preventing travel. However, I think how (covid) risk is distributed between carrier and passenger is now a real concern for future flights for me. I will seek to fly another carrier whenever possible and likely only do point reservations with WN.
Old Dec 8, 20, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by road2elysium View Post
... I will seek to fly another carrier whenever possible and likely only do point reservations with WN.
It's good to be aware of all risks, not just those you experienced. Travelling on points/miles can be more flexible and less expensive. But there are even fewer recourses if an airline decides to wipe out your point balance.
Old Dec 15, 20, 9:49 pm

So, I have two separate $100 Southwest Travel Funds ($200 total) that expire December 20, 2019. I just bought one round trip SW dummy flight for $200 before December 20, 2020.
Would you please walk me through on how to extend this Southwest flight ($100 fee?) into a Flight Voucher that can be used for 6 months? Thank you!
Old Dec 15, 20, 10:10 pm

Programs: WN A&cp, SPGplat
Originally Posted by gamyrjay View Post
So, I have two separate $100 Southwest Travel Funds ($200 total) that expire December 20, 2019. I just bought one round trip SW dummy flight for $200 before December 20, 2020.
Would you please walk me through on how to extend this Southwest flight ($100 fee?) into a Flight Voucher that can be used for 6 months? Thank you!
Cancel the flight. After the funds expire call customer service. The typical experience is to be offered a one-time extension for a ~$100 fee. Some value is always better than no value.

BTW, if you have any other expiring funds that you're certain you won't use, roll them in. The goal is to salvage as much as possible with a single fee.

Good luck!
Old Dec 16, 20, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by ray1111 View Post
Cancel the flight. After the funds expire call customer service. The typical experience is to be offered a one-time extension for a ~$100 fee. Some value is always better than no value.

BTW, if you have any other expiring funds that you're certain you won't use, roll them in. The goal is to salvage as much as possible with a single fee.

Good luck!

Thanks! What if I just request a refund back to my card?
Old Dec 16, 20, 12:39 pm

I've never heard of that happening.
synergistic likes this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 3:04 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Not going to happen.
synergistic likes this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 4:49 pm

Call them and ask; let us know how it goes
Old Dec 21, 20, 7:20 pm

I have a travel fund expiring in Jan 2021. If I book a flight for Jan (before the expiration) and then push it out to a future date, will Southwest's system honor the travel fund? I didn't realize until today that travel had to be completed by the expiration.
Old Dec 21, 20, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by faroa View Post
I have a travel fund expiring in Jan 2021. If I book a flight for Jan (before the expiration) and then push it out to a future date, will Southwest's system honor the travel fund? I didn't realize until today that travel had to be completed by the expiration.
no, if you book a trip with January 2021 funds it won't allow you to change the flight to a date later than the original expiration date.
faroa likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: