FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Getting hosed on SW travel funds (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2028488-getting-hosed-sw-travel-funds.html)

FlyingBoat Nov 16, 2020 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 32818860)
Maybe it's just me, but I haven't a clue what you're trying to communicate here.

I think he was talking about, there are some situations and date combinations, you can change a flight and SW doesn't charge you extra for it. in example, book a flight on a day for $59 and then you can change it to a different day where that flight is $259 and you don't get charged the difference. This has been ongoing for SW for some days for some reason. Related to the MAX issue. Doctor of Credit has info on it. It is on again and off again result.

ursine1 Nov 16, 2020 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat (Post 32824406)
I think he was talking about, there are some situations and date combinations, you can change a flight and SW doesn't charge you extra for it. in example, book a flight on a day for $59 and then you can change it to a different day where that flight is $259 and you don't get charged the difference. This has been ongoing for SW for some days for some reason. Related to the MAX issue. Doctor of Credit has info on it. It is on again and off again result.

If so, there's a whole thread on this. ;)

gamyrjay Dec 5, 2020 6:35 am

I have two $100 separate TFs ($200 total travel funds) that expire in about a week, and I cannot fly anywhere. What can I do?
What are my options for this $200 TFs?
Purchased and Cancelled these flights in December 2019, and SW stated cannot be turned into RR and extension is $100 for each so pointless

MaxVO Dec 5, 2020 9:08 am

Originally Posted by hkcj (Post 32817058)
... I do think it's a bit scheme-ey to have a loophole for hyper-engaged customers and leave everyone else out in the dust. (Note that hyper-engaged customers are not necessarily the highest spenders: not every frequent traveler has time to be keeping up on the forums.)

I find it ironic that you made multiple posts on the same forum begrudging the success of your fellow travelers who were helped here. Can you name the appropriate deadly sin this illustrates? I'd think it would be more productive to use this forum for its intended purpose -- to share and learn.

NextTrip Dec 7, 2020 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans (Post 32818349)
...I had have better luck with getting refunds/ credits (for COVID impacted travel) from American Airlines (surprise!), Air Canada, LH and Qatar (J tix - $$$). For WN, being an airline that prides on transparency, this was a colossal failure IMHO.

Interesting about Air Canada because they would not refund my business class tickets R/T from Vegas to Copenhagen in July/August although they cancelledevery flight in and out of Vegas during that time. All I could get was travel credit, which I refused. I will NEVER book with Air Canada again. After several months, I just got a 75% refund under the "cancel for any reason" portion of my travel insurance coverage.

road2elysium Dec 8, 2020 3:28 pm

Just adding a data point.

I have about ~ $500 in travel funds expiring or recently expired after the September 7, 2020 date.
I called in and also spoke to their twitter customer service, and was not able to get either an extension or a conversion to points (though I was able to convert other travel funds).

My takeaway: It's somewhat reasonable for the airlines to not accept the financial risk from covid, due to various lockdown orders preventing travel. However, I think how (covid) risk is distributed between carrier and passenger is now a real concern for future flights for me. I will seek to fly another carrier whenever possible and likely only do point reservations with WN.

MaxVO Dec 8, 2020 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by road2elysium (Post 32872054)
... I will seek to fly another carrier whenever possible and likely only do point reservations with WN.

It's good to be aware of all risks, not just those you experienced. Travelling on points/miles can be more flexible and less expensive. But there are even fewer recourses if an airline decides to wipe out your point balance.

gamyrjay Dec 15, 2020 9:49 pm

So, I have two separate $100 Southwest Travel Funds ($200 total) that expire December 20, 2019. I just bought one round trip SW dummy flight for $200 before December 20, 2020.
Would you please walk me through on how to extend this Southwest flight ($100 fee?) into a Flight Voucher that can be used for 6 months? Thank you!

ray1111 Dec 15, 2020 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by gamyrjay (Post 32888855)
So, I have two separate $100 Southwest Travel Funds ($200 total) that expire December 20, 2019. I just bought one round trip SW dummy flight for $200 before December 20, 2020.
Would you please walk me through on how to extend this Southwest flight ($100 fee?) into a Flight Voucher that can be used for 6 months? Thank you!

Cancel the flight. After the funds expire call customer service. The typical experience is to be offered a one-time extension for a ~$100 fee. Some value is always better than no value.

BTW, if you have any other expiring funds that you're certain you won't use, roll them in. The goal is to salvage as much as possible with a single fee.

Good luck!

gamyrjay Dec 16, 2020 10:26 am

Originally Posted by ray1111 (Post 32888878)
Cancel the flight. After the funds expire call customer service. The typical experience is to be offered a one-time extension for a ~$100 fee. Some value is always better than no value.

BTW, if you have any other expiring funds that you're certain you won't use, roll them in. The goal is to salvage as much as possible with a single fee.

Good luck!

Thanks! What if I just request a refund back to my card?

rsteinmetz70112 Dec 16, 2020 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by gamyrjay (Post 32889972)

I've never heard of that happening.

lougord99 Dec 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Not going to happen.

dmbolp Dec 16, 2020 4:49 pm

Call them and ask; let us know how it goes

faroa Dec 21, 2020 7:20 pm

I have a travel fund expiring in Jan 2021. If I book a flight for Jan (before the expiration) and then push it out to a future date, will Southwest's system honor the travel fund? I didn't realize until today that travel had to be completed by the expiration.

Beachchaser Dec 21, 2020 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by faroa (Post 32903578)
I have a travel fund expiring in Jan 2021. If I book a flight for Jan (before the expiration) and then push it out to a future date, will Southwest's system honor the travel fund? I didn't realize until today that travel had to be completed by the expiration.

no, if you book a trip with January 2021 funds it won't allow you to change the flight to a date later than the original expiration date.