Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Launches Nonstop Flight From San Diego to Honolulu

Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many

Travelers can now fly directly from San Diego to Honolulu on a new service that took off Wednesday out of the San Diego International Airport.

Southwest Airlines launched its inaugural nonstop service from SAN to the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL) with an 8 a.m. flight. Kimberly Becker, San Diego County Regional Airport Authority President and CEO, said in a press release that the airport had been anticipating the nonstop route for months.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...rport/2437065/
Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unless WN is getting much cheaper airport fees at SAN, this seems like an odd choice of route. From SAN, there's not a big advantage in going to HNL (compared to people starting at MSP, ORD, BOS, etc. in the winter months), so WN seems to be counting on connecting traffic which presumably would prefer LAX or SFO (or some airport with same-day COVID-19 rapid testing facilities such as OAK).
steved5480 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: SW A-list, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Unless WN is getting much cheaper airport fees at SAN, this seems like an odd choice of route. From SAN, there's not a big advantage in going to HNL (compared to people starting at MSP, ORD, BOS, etc. in the winter months), so WN seems to be counting on connecting traffic which presumably would prefer LAX or SFO (or some airport with same-day COVID-19 rapid testing facilities such as OAK).

Doesn't seem odd at all. Even with Covid, there are already nonstops on Alaska and Hawaiian daily. You can't go in the ocean in CA in the winter. Travellers from all parts of CA visit HI, and there are 3M people in SD county. Connections won't hurt, but they can fill this flight when things are normal again.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is a route I might take my family on. MKE-SAN for a few days, let the kids go to San Diego Zoo, then continue on SAN-HNL. I would also choose SAN as a jumping off point over LAX or SFO in a heartbeat. I can't stand either place.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
I would also choose SAN as a jumping off point over LAX or SFO in a heartbeat. I can't stand either place.
LOL, you likely haven't spent any time in SAN T1.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Circle of Hell somebody else coined and very appropriate.
ryw likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by smmrfld
I have not, Can it really be worse than LAX? Of course I hate just about every airport, except MKE.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I have not, Can it really be worse than LAX? Of course I hate just about every airport, except MKE.
Yes, it's worse than LAX.

San Diego airport is cramped and poorly designed.

Our family is flying from SAN to HNL this week and we weighed the social distance difficulties of San Diego airport against the non-stop WN service to HNL.

Some of my worst airport experiences were in SAN. It was at its nadir when flights were delayed and deregulation caused massive waits in an aircraft queue waiting for takeoff from the one runway. The terminal would resemble a packed disco. Even the bar would be swamped, so liquid relief was difficult.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
This is a route I might take my family on. MKE-SAN for a few days, let the kids go to San Diego Zoo, then continue on SAN-HNL. I would also choose SAN as a jumping off point over LAX or SFO in a heartbeat. I can't stand either place.
SFO T1 is one of the nicest terminals that WN currently uses.

However, it might be somewhat immaterial since I don’t recall if they ever flew direct to HI from there, or LAX for that matter.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
Just got back from quick SAN-SJC-SAN trip today -- T1 is always a bit of a zoo precovid -- very cramped with so many flights in tight circle; but the processing was fast both days. With middle seats carved out, despite full flights, T1 was manageable distancing. Even the standing/charging tables were fairly open.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
This has been planned for a long time. I had reservations non-stop back in April on this route. I also have $99 each way flights recently purchased for February 2021 (which Southwest gave me a free online move to March).
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by econ
SFO T1 is one of the nicest terminals that WN currently uses.

However, it might be somewhat immaterial since I don’t recall if they ever flew direct to HI from there, or LAX for that matter.
SFO and LAX are both two of the best Southwest terminals in the system, both are brand new. However, as WN flies to HNL from neither, a pretty mute point.

As the user plans to spend days in SAN, vs the 1-2 hrs in the terminal, it still seems like a pretty nice choice.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I never understood the volume of HI flights from SAN, but it seems to be a multi-carrier situation (AS too). I think one possibility is that those from Mexico prefer to come across the border and then fly to Hawaii as well.

I think there is also some important cargo loads that I can't underestimate because there are/were many direct to specific island routes from SAN. I do think the passengers on the top of the plane are likely just a bonus revenue aspect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.