Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Filling Middie Seats Starting 12/1

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Gator11
2. No, you can't buy an extra seat to keep the middle seat open on your flight.
Darn, I was just going ask what middle name/codeword when buying a second seat-- I think usual policy is Firstname COS Lastname, so I was going to suggest COVID19 for middle name.

This whole decision and emails couldn't have come at a worst time-new daily case records in US. Despite the airline and travel industry sponsored studies trying to prove safety measures, there is extremely limited contact tracing possible with Southwest open seating.

To make things worse I just saw a news report that a customer DIED of Covid19 on a 90 minute Vegas to Dallas flight. Airlines or health authorities delayed this report considerably, so I wonder if more unfortunate incidents happened.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/woman-died-of-covid-19-on-flight-between-las-vegas-dallas-2158269/

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article246570138.html#storylink=related_inline

Last edited by expert7700; Oct 23, 2020 at 2:21 pm
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Originally Posted by zachary
I wonder if WN is going to regret this decision. I have to say that I would seriously look at DL now if traveling with one family member. I'm not sure that scientists would agree that it makes a difference, but having a row with just my wife and I feels different than having someone else in my row.
That is exactly my sentiment. We know so little about this disease at this point, and you can find a well meaning, well respected scientist to support just about any position you want to believe. I would rather take the safe course, and so far that has meant canceling all flying. I had three SWA round trip flights in the December-January time frame, but at this point, the middle seat dilemma will mean that SWA is no longer one of the options we are considering.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:51 pm

I agree. How was it that you didn't predict that there would be a global pandemic and take that into account in making this decision? 😊

In all seriousness, I wonder if WN is going to regret this decision. I have to say that I would seriously look at DL now if traveling with one family member. I'm not sure that scientists would agree that it makes a difference, but having a row with just my wife and I feels different than having someone else in my row.
Delta is only paying lip service now too -- they are carefully saying "middle" seats empty, but on any plane with 2 seat pairs (e.g. 717 2-3, 767 2-3-2) they are no longer keeping non-middle adjacent seats empty so you can end up shoulder to shoulder with a stranger. Only a little less deceptive than UA and AA who were touting blocking the *selection* of the middle seats in advance, but not blocking the actual seats and still filling those middles whenever they could. Yeah, empty adjacent seat isn't 6 feet of spacing, but 1-2 feet apart with masks is still lower risk than inches apart and touching common armrests and other surfaces.

Not allowing purchase of an extra seat is pretty bad; if someone's willing to pay regular price they should be allowed to.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by bgasser
I have traveled during Covid. The biggest issue I found is during deplaning when everyone still stands in the aisle hoping to get off the plane as quickly as possible. You are going to be close to a person if you wish to travel by air. That is the cost of being able to cross the country in a few hours for a low price. You have to decide if the benefit outweighs the cost to you,
Just don't be in a rush to get off the plane
Old Oct 23, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Now if they would only drop the petri dish (mask) requirement.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by mile ho
If you can unblock our middle seats then you can certainly bring back our DRINKS!
Have to protect the staff, they are difficult to replace. Self loading cargo is inherently fungible and replaceable.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I agree. How was it that you didn't predict that there would be a global pandemic and take that into account in making this decision? 😊

In all seriousness, I wonder if WN is going to regret this decision. I have to say that I would seriously look at DL now if traveling with one family member. I'm not sure that scientists would agree that it makes a difference, but having a row with just my wife and I feels different than having someone else in my row.
DL is only keeping middles open for about an extra month. So what difference does it really make in the long run.

It is very clear here that you travel, you do so at your own risk. Period. Many businesses seem to be rolling back COVID requirements in recent weeks; I see loose unwrapped donuts in some supermarket bakeries again for self serve with the little wax tissue, many retailers have stopped sanitizing shopping carts, etc. It is really interesting cases are suddenly spiking as requirements seem to be rolling back. Here in NV we have expanded gathering size limits to 250 to help get conferences, etc. going again - if anyone attends them. I am sure some folks will. At this point the gig is up, businesses cannot afford to keep sustaining losses due to COVID restrictions and are dialing things back. The question mark is if customers will show up to these looser-restricted businesses in numbers strong enough for the businesses to go back to being profitable. I don't think they will.

$o regarding $outhwest and it$ deci$ion to re-open the middle $eats, it i$ clearly all about profitability. $outhwest ju$t want$ to fill it$ flight$, that i$ all. It i$ clearly a bu$ine$$ decision.

If fewer people will fly Southwest because people feel unsafe with a packed plane, then by default Southwest middle seats will still be empty because many customers will vote with their feet and not fly or fly Delta or Alaska. We will see what happens I guess. Reality is the best time to travel for the traveler in terms of traveler safety and ability to distance was back in March/April when hardly anyone was traveling and the airlines were still flying full schedules. No mask requirement back then either.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 4:20 pm

May start as a new thread -- but hopefully a quick answer. I booked a January 2021 flight using travel funds from a flight that was cancelled back in the spring. I received the email offering a refund base on middle seat policy. The fine print on my "refund opportunity" reads as follows:

"**If you cancel on Southwest.com, swabiz.com, or through any other channel rather than by completing the form through the link provided in this email, or if your original form of payment was a gift card, funds from your flight will be reserved for future travel instead of being refunded to your original form of payment." [emphasis mine]

If I cancelled by using this form, what are the chances my credit card originally used to book my spring travel will get the cash refund? Note it only references "gift card" as an original form of payment that will be returned as such. Says nothing about travel funds. Worth the attempt?
Old Oct 23, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
I flew AS (my first flight since February) at the beginning of October, and while they do their best, my wife heard a pair of strangers talking, sitting adjacent on an Embraer. And there are reports on the AS board that indicate that when there are IRROPS they are filling blocked seats.

So Delta is still the bastion (or should I say, Bastian ) of safety until January 6 2021.

Hawaiian is still doing it too, I believe until perhaps the end of the year
Old Oct 23, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
...Delta avoiding Atlanta will be my first choice, American first class on award will be my second choice, and Southwest...
ATL connections are fine with the schedules cut back like this, and more connections are available there than other options. That airport is also the squeaky-cleanest I have seen in the Eastern US recently. This applies to WN and to DL.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by BrerNashville
May start as a new thread -- but hopefully a quick answer. I booked a January 2021 flight using travel funds from a flight that was cancelled back in the spring. I received the email offering a refund base on middle seat policy. The fine print on my "refund opportunity" reads as follows:

"**If you cancel on Southwest.com, swabiz.com, or through any other channel rather than by completing the form through the link provided in this email, or if your original form of payment was a gift card, funds from your flight will be reserved for future travel instead of being refunded to your original form of payment." [emphasis mine]

If I cancelled by using this form, what are the chances my credit card originally used to book my spring travel will get the cash refund? Note it only references "gift card" as an original form of payment that will be returned as such. Says nothing about travel funds. Worth the attempt?
I got the same email, if I am reading it correctly if you used a gift card of travel funds you will be given a luv voucher good 1 year from issuance.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by jmastron
Delta is only paying lip service now too -- they are carefully saying "middle" seats empty, but on any plane with 2 seat pairs (e.g. 717 2-3, 767 2-3-2) they are no longer keeping non-middle adjacent seats empty so you can end up shoulder to shoulder with a stranger.
Thats not quite right: they are blocking the B seat on the 2-2 CR9/CR7. Not sure about the 717, I believe they are blocking the middle on the 3 side, and leaving the 2 side intact.

​​​
Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:48 pm

Beachchaser -- I guess that was my question. Are funds used from "gift cards" treated the same as funds used from travel funds for this purpose. For other purposes, those are two distinct types of payment methods.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boghopper
Have to protect the staff
Oh BS. If they can hand out a can of DejaBlue water, they can hand out a mini of Wild Turkey and a can of Diet Coke and tell you to do the rest yourself. I don't even need or want ice.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Airlines can not lose 8-figures every single day forever.

I guess once all businesses are bankrupt, we will have something else to complain about.

And I have a feeling I know who is gonna get blamed.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Oct 25, 2020 at 5:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.