Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Man in Trump gear booted from Southwest flight for removing mask to eat

Old Oct 15, 20, 7:14 pm
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

https://nypost.com/2020/10/14/man-in...g-mask-to-eat/

So what is the official SW eating policy?
Old Oct 15, 20, 11:34 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I've said this all along these mask policies can easily be circumvented if you eat or drink on the flight. Nurse a food or drink and no mask. Others have posted here that they have done just that and not been bothered.

As for why this passenger was targeted and harassed on this particular flight (he probably did the same thing on other flights with no issue), it is just another example of the inconsistent behavior of flight crews in enforcing mask rules.
757FO and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Oct 16, 20, 3:27 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post

Old Oct 16, 20, 9:22 am

“Our reports indicate that a Customer traveling on Flight 2632, with scheduled service from Tampa to Dallas, was asked repeatedly by more than one employee at different times to wear a face mask. The customer did not comply with our crew’s multiple verbal requests — including while boarding the flight before seated,” the company rep said.
Old Oct 16, 20, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Marriott Gold, BA Silver

Obviously you are allowed to take your mask off briefly to eat and you should not be treated any differently based on which politicians you support.

It sounds like Southwest are claiming that he was not being compliant at all during boarding etc. and that he was then using the false excuse that he was eating. We don't actually have video of what happened so it is basically a he said, she said. Although the fact that he is not even wearing a mask in the only video we do have - which is him talking to the airline crew member and not eating - suggests that southwest are probably telling the truth here.

I am guessing based on the evidence that he is someone who is anti mask and that this is a non story. But without more evidence we cannot say for sure.
writerguyfl and ursine1 like this.

Last edited by Enigma368; Oct 16, 20 at 3:58 pm
Old Oct 16, 20, 4:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
This could also be a person seeking free publicity or even a sizeable Dao-ry from Southwest.
TXJeepGuy and screeton like this.
Old Oct 17, 20, 10:59 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
It could be, but I doubted.
I saw a video on youtube that showed a very calm exchange between the man and the FA. Southwest's policy showed above allows for eating with mask off, it says to be "brief" (key word, subject to many interpretations). Some people eat slowly, some eat fast. My question is, why do some people always confront?
Old Oct 17, 20, 11:45 am

I was on a flight last week and another passenger was part of a group of 4 or 5 people traveling together, they spent much of the flight talking to each other across the aisle about some fantasy football thing they were all involved in. One guy came on the plane and immediately pulled his mask down the FA remained him he need to wear a mask covering his mouth and nose, he would pull the mask up and in a few minutes pull it down again and get reminded again. Eventually he left it on.

Unlike the guy in the article who did not wait until the flight took off. I think guy in the piece above was trying to get taken off the flight and claim discrimination. Had he waited until the flight took off the crew would not have been able to return to the gate and he would likely have been arrested when the plane landed with not video opportunity.
Old Oct 17, 20, 7:55 pm

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, Global Entry
Haven't flown WN since February before COVID hit but it seems since then WN hasn't been handling many things correctly or with common sense.

I have flown since COVID on DL, AA and UA and some of their respective regionals and while there is some non-compliance here and there it was taken care of in a de-escalating and polite manner in all cases.

Maybe WN needs to work on their customer service training again.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Oct 17, 20, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir View Post
Maybe WN needs to work on their customer service training again.
Or, maybe people can just wear a damn mask when they are out in public instead of expecting the rest of the world to bow to their selfishness.
Old Oct 17, 20, 9:24 pm

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bear96 View Post
Or, maybe people can just wear a damn mask when they are out in public instead of expecting the rest of the world to bow to their selfishness.
Agreed, but it seems WN is the only airline having trouble on a customer service front conveying their message. Like I said in my OP, UA, DL, and AA have no problem doing it at all, at least in my experience.
Old Oct 17, 20, 11:00 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir View Post
Agreed, but it seems WN is the only airline having trouble on a customer service front conveying their message. Like I said in my OP, UA, DL, and AA have no problem doing it at all, at least in my experience.
Not to be rude or have this come out the wrong way, but I think WN is having more incidents like this because more people are flying WN. I could say this in other ways or add details to it, but I think that statement conveys my point.
screeton likes this.
Old Oct 19, 20, 10:42 am
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bear96 View Post
The guy was wearing a mask, he removed the mask to eat "briefly"
Old Oct 19, 20, 11:16 am

You can't hold a bag of peanuts in your hand interminably and parody a mask exception.
“Our reports indicate that a customer travelling on Flight 2632, with scheduled service from Tampa to Dallas, was asked repeatedly by more than one employee at different times to wear a face mask.

“The customer did not comply with our crew’s multiple verbal requests—including while boarding the flight before seated. Therefore, the decision was made to return to the gate and re-accommodate him on a later flight to his final destination after receiving assurances he would comply with our face-covering policy."
Old Oct 19, 20, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Marriott Gold, BA Silver
Unless you have access to other evidence that is not in the link you posted, then this seems to be 100% conjecture on your part. It is also contradicted by the only video evidence we do have, where he is recorded speaking at some length to the cabin crew - not eating - and not wearing a mask. It seems that he could not even bring himself to put on the mask when the crew was asking him to leave.

If a video emerges that shows the passenger removing the mask for a few seconds to put something in his mouth and then replacing the mask - and some Southwest FA is standing over him ready to pounce - then by all means I would agree that Southwest were OTT. But based on the evidence we do have, it seems much more likely that he was using the fact that he had a snack in his hand as an excuse to not to wear a mask at all.
apeoples13 likes this.

Last edited by Enigma368; Oct 19, 20 at 2:27 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: