Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest is claiming IAH and ORD service in 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG

Just announced at the Boyd conference a return to IAH and service to ORD in 2021
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
O’hare!! And HOUSTON Intercon. Next year!!

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...pti-story.html
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Advance planning for the ultimate thinning of the herd and/or ultimate demise of #AA/#UAL as they are currently known.

Present/future economic climate being what it is, simply a matter of "when"...
Old Oct 12, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
It's official!!!

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/re...nental-airport

I did not expect this! What a nice surprise!
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Though I like MDW, ORD will make my trips much easier. I imagine some non stop international flights may be in the offing.

Last edited by bobnchi; Oct 12, 2020 at 6:33 pm
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Living 20 minutes away from Midway and 25 minutes (without traffic) away from O'Hare, this is a good thing as long as they don't remove flights from MDW and add to ORD.
FlyingJayhawk12 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Putnik
Living 20 minutes away from Midway and 25 minutes (without traffic) away from O'Hare, this is a good thing as long as they don't remove flights from MDW and add to ORD.
No, they won't be remove a flights from MDW. ORD will adding more flights. I think they will have 12 or 14 flights a day is enough.

WN will be at entire T5. ORD T1/T2/T3 are already filled. So you can take a tram from T5 to T3 and take you down to CTA from O'Hare to Downtown Chicago on Blue Line.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
If GK wants to take on Dougie, then DFW needs to be in play. I smell burning cash.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
If GK wants to take on Dougie, then DFW needs to be in play. I smell burning cash.
Not until 2025, no way they give up precious gates at DAL they've been fighting for
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by bobnchi
Though I like MDW, ORD will make my trips much easier. I imagine some direct route international flights may be in the offing.
Never figured out why WN hasn't offered service to Toronto or Vancouver yet. They carry more US passengers than any other airline and have offered international service for years after the Airtran purchase. The should have the passenger capacity to roll out these two cities.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:31 pm

Between adding MIA, taking all of B6s gates at LGB, adding Palm Springs and now IAH and ORD, WN is on a major capacity expansion. With B6 starting London Service via LHR in 2021, wonder how long until WN goes trans Atlantic. With the exception of JFK and EWR, anyone know which of the top 20 US airports WN will lack service? Seems NYC is the last major market WN is avoiding to attack.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by bgasser
Never figured out why WN hasn't offered service to Toronto or Vancouver yet.
For the same destinations, the flight price in Canada includes 43% in taxes, compared to 15% in the US. At least that was the case as recently as 2018. Canadians living near the US border cross over to travel via American airports.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
For the same destinations, the flight price in Canada includes 43% in taxes, compared to 15% in the US. At least that was the case as recently as 2018. Canadians living near the US border cross over to travel via American airports.
Seems United, Delta, AA, Air Canada, and Porter can find a profitable way to operate these routes. Figured LUV would want a piece of the action. With the tax rate, I guess the profits on the Canadian routes are more limited than I thought.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Goes against there start up principle of staying away from the large airports. Already added DCA, LGA, BOS, ATL via merger.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Goes against there start up principle of staying away from the large airports. Already added DCA, LGA, BOS, ATL via merger.
That principle died awhile ago. They carry more passengers than any other US airline so they can no longer afford to operate in just niche markets. They need to offer service to locations their customers (especially the business select passengers who bring in the most $$$) want to visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.