FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Southwest is claiming IAH and ORD service in 2021 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2026739-southwest-claiming-iah-ord-service-2021-a.html)

FlyingHoustonian Oct 12, 2020 9:45 am

Southwest is claiming IAH and ORD service in 2021

Just announced at the Boyd conference a return to IAH and service to ORD in 2021

feysul Oct 12, 2020 9:53 am

O’hare!! And HOUSTON Intercon. Next year!!

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...pti-story.html

steved5480 Oct 12, 2020 9:58 am

Advance planning for the ultimate thinning of the herd and/or ultimate demise of #AA/#UAL as they are currently known.

Present/future economic climate being what it is, simply a matter of "when"...

N830MH Oct 12, 2020 10:51 am

It's official!!!

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/re...nental-airport

I did not expect this! What a nice surprise!

bobnchi Oct 12, 2020 11:15 am

Though I like MDW, ORD will make my trips much easier. I imagine some non stop international flights may be in the offing.

Putnik Oct 12, 2020 11:16 am

Living 20 minutes away from Midway and 25 minutes (without traffic) away from O'Hare, this is a good thing as long as they don't remove flights from MDW and add to ORD.

N830MH Oct 12, 2020 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Putnik (Post 32741872)
Living 20 minutes away from Midway and 25 minutes (without traffic) away from O'Hare, this is a good thing as long as they don't remove flights from MDW and add to ORD.

No, they won't be remove a flights from MDW. ORD will adding more flights. I think they will have 12 or 14 flights a day is enough.

WN will be at entire T5. ORD T1/T2/T3 are already filled. So you can take a tram from T5 to T3 and take you down to CTA from O'Hare to Downtown Chicago on Blue Line.

Tanic Oct 12, 2020 12:01 pm

If GK wants to take on Dougie, then DFW needs to be in play. I smell burning cash. :eek:

737MAX8 Oct 12, 2020 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 32741990)
If GK wants to take on Dougie, then DFW needs to be in play. I smell burning cash. :eek:

Not until 2025, no way they give up precious gates at DAL they've been fighting for

bgasser Oct 12, 2020 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by bobnchi (Post 32741869)
Though I like MDW, ORD will make my trips much easier. I imagine some direct route international flights may be in the offing.

Never figured out why WN hasn't offered service to Toronto or Vancouver yet. They carry more US passengers than any other airline and have offered international service for years after the Airtran purchase. The should have the passenger capacity to roll out these two cities.

bgasser Oct 12, 2020 12:31 pm

Between adding MIA, taking all of B6s gates at LGB, adding Palm Springs and now IAH and ORD, WN is on a major capacity expansion. With B6 starting London Service via LHR in 2021, wonder how long until WN goes trans Atlantic. With the exception of JFK and EWR, anyone know which of the top 20 US airports WN will lack service? Seems NYC is the last major market WN is avoiding to attack.

LegalTender Oct 12, 2020 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by bgasser (Post 32742041)
Never figured out why WN hasn't offered service to Toronto or Vancouver yet.

For the same destinations, the flight price in Canada includes 43% in taxes, compared to 15% in the US. At least that was the case as recently as 2018. Canadians living near the US border cross over to travel via American airports.

bgasser Oct 12, 2020 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender (Post 32742073)
For the same destinations, the flight price in Canada includes 43% in taxes, compared to 15% in the US. At least that was the case as recently as 2018. Canadians living near the US border cross over to travel via American airports.

Seems United, Delta, AA, Air Canada, and Porter can find a profitable way to operate these routes. Figured LUV would want a piece of the action. With the tax rate, I guess the profits on the Canadian routes are more limited than I thought.

buckeyefanflyer Oct 12, 2020 12:50 pm

Goes against there start up principle of staying away from the large airports. Already added DCA, LGA, BOS, ATL via merger.

bgasser Oct 12, 2020 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer (Post 32742131)
Goes against there start up principle of staying away from the large airports. Already added DCA, LGA, BOS, ATL via merger.

That principle died awhile ago. They carry more passengers than any other US airline so they can no longer afford to operate in just niche markets. They need to offer service to locations their customers (especially the business select passengers who bring in the most $$$) want to visit.