Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest is claiming IAH and ORD service in 2021

Southwest is claiming IAH and ORD service in 2021

Old May 11, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Anyone flown WN out of IAH yet? What's the gate situation like?
Old May 11, 2021, 10:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Anyone flown WN out of IAH yet? What's the gate situation like?
​​​​​​
We flew IN to IAH last Friday. Gate/jetway area can be better described as a building annex, made of corrugated metal garage/roofing sheets.

When we exited, the Southwest checkin counter looked out of place (off to the side in an area that had more of a baggage claim area than a traditional airport checkin area.
m907 likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
​​​​​​
We flew IN to IAH last Friday. Gate/jetway area can be better described as a building annex, made of corrugated metal garage/roofing sheets.

When we exited, the Southwest checkin counter looked out of place (off to the side in an area that had more of a baggage claim area than a traditional airport checkin area.
Interesting. Did it appear to be still under construction, or is that just how it is?
Old May 12, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by m907
Interesting. Did it appear to be still under construction, or is that just how it is?
I think that's just how it is. Nothing wrong with the setup though, and it made for a quick exit from IAH to the rental car pickup.
Old May 23, 2021, 1:23 am

I went to IAH and Southwest is in a weird annex, as expert7700 observed. But it's very fast to baggage claim - even shorter than Hobby.
N830MH likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Flew through IAH yesterday on UA and saw the WN gates. Definitely doesn't look pretty (think metal shipping containers) but it sounds like it works well for those that have used it.
m907 likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:36 pm

which terminal is WN @ IAH?
Old May 24, 2021, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
which terminal is WN @ IAH?
Terminal A
Old May 30, 2021, 3:23 pm

One more note about IAH: The boarding line is in the terminal building. A gate agent checks the boarding pass but does not scan them. Then you walk through the trailer building and another gate agent scans the pass before you get on the jetway.

The trailer building is a little wonky but looks fairly permanent and has HVAC, and I don't see any construction, so this could be a long term solution. If it means landing and getting to baggage claim is this fast, I'm all for it.
N830MH likes this.

Last edited by m907; May 30, 2021 at 3:30 pm
Old May 30, 2021, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
How is ORD doing lately? I hear they are not doing so well?
Old May 31, 2021, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
How is ORD doing lately? I hear they are not doing so well?
if the fares r the same or close to MDW's , will fly to & from there, where lounges r avail. MDW, hopefully, will have a PP lounge completed before yr end
N830MH likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
WN add new nonstop flight ORD-CUN. Starting Nov 7, 2021.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Gonna take some time getting used to seeing these at IAH. They look out of place... took this as I taxied past a couple weeks ago on a different airline. As an aside I just booked IAH-DEN r/t for a work trip later this summer. Bit surprised to see this route cheaper than HOU-DEN, but I'm not complaining. Interested to fly WN out of IAH for the first time...

N830MH likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Gonna take some time getting used to seeing these at IAH. They look out of place... took this as I taxied past a couple weeks ago on a different airline. As an aside I just booked IAH-DEN r/t for a work trip later this summer. Bit surprised to see this route cheaper than HOU-DEN, but I'm not complaining. Interested to fly WN out of IAH for the first time...

Interested to hear your thoughts!
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by m907
The trailer building is a little wonky but looks fairly permanent and has HVAC, and I don't see any construction, so this could be a long term solution.
I'm pretty sure that was pre-WN. These bizarre A3 gates have been used by everything from UX flights to the now defunct UA Beaumont Bus (some fun times on that one).

Anywho... couple pics and notes. I flew out of IAH last weekend to TPA and because of the slight cluster-F that is the boarding area they were calling in groups of 10 as opposed to groups of 30. Other comments are accurate, the first GA glances at your BP and then it's scanned at the entrance to the jet bridge down the container hallway. The jet bridge then scissors up to plane level. The WN check in counter is immediately next to the walkway to the TSA checkpoint. Not sure if they took a vacant space, but they're in the cluster with AS, AC, F9. DL is on the same side of A as them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.