Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Totes as Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2020, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Totes as Luggage?

I have a super newb question. I’m flying from STL to MCO in a couple of weeks. Signing a lease at an apartment and will be spending a week there getting stuff ready for our big move down a little bit later.

here’s the newbie question: I want to bring a queen air mattress. It is in a dedicated “Tupperware “ type of tote. It’s like a regular medium sized box with lid.

How do I go about using that as a “checked bag?” Do I just go ahead and tape up the lid with clear box tape, or do I show the Ticket counter what’s in it and then tape?

I fly SW all the time BUT the tote is a new one for me.

Thank you.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Just tape well and go. They likely ask you to sign a damage waiver not being in a protected case. But under 50 pounds and 62" L+W+H and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

so totality of 62 inches or 62wx62Lx62H?

Originally Posted by joshua362
Just tape well and go. They likely ask you to sign a damage waiver not being in a protected case. But under 50 pounds and 62" L+W+H and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:11 pm

62" as a TOTAL of W/H/L.

5 feet by 5 feet by 5 feet might be a big ask!
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just follow the rules and you will be fine:

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...-CUSTOMER-BAGS
Old Oct 8, 2020, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
How sturdy is the container? Assume it will get bounced around a bit and if YOU feel comfortable with it, go for it.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Yup...you can pretty much check anything as long as size and weight is within limits...but if it is not "luggage" they make you sign a waiver that says they are not liable for any damage. Just make sure it is sealed well and not gonna bust open as they huck it around.

If you use tape, TSA will cut it and retape if they want to inspect.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
One thing I also do when I have to check boxes as luggage is to print (on both sides) a sheet of paper with my name/flight#/phone#/PRN on it in large font and leave it inside and at the top of the box (and if the box is large, one on the other end as well). That way if things go wrong (the label comes off, etc.) they can get in touch with me. I do this for my suitcases on Int'l flights too.

(... that being said, thankfully nobody's ever had to get hold of me that way!)
steved5480 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.